Heeling Help

Sliplead

Hi Everyone,

I'm Chris and i'm just getting started as a hobby trying to see how far I can train my first Springer Meg. She's now 15 weeks old and doing very well and learning fast through play training but when out on the lead I just cant seem to get here to walk to heel. Is she too young yet?

We are now capable of 'hupping' to a hand signal and whistle. Hupping and staying in one spot so I can walk approx 30 paces away and then call her over. She will hup and stay sitting (my record is around 30 seconds, counting in my head). She will return to call and whistle. Around the garden she will walk to heel (on and off the lead) and I can call her and she will come running over and sit to heel.

When out on walks I have her on a 10m canvas training lead and I practise the recall and sitting at random intervals and have just started calling her over to heel.

When walking to and from our fields and woods I use a slip lead and then transfer her over to the training lead.

My problem begins as soon as we walk down the drive and turn either left or right then she seems intrigued with all the sound, sights, smells, people, cars and other dogs that a puppy would get excited about.

I've read various material and they all mention the loose lead technique which I've been trying for approx 3 weeks now with no results. it sometimes takes 15 minutes to walk to the end of the short road using this technique - as soon as the lead goes tight I stand still and call her back to heel.

She even knows what to do once I stop and goes to the heel position on her own, but then as soon as I start walking she races ahead again and so the process goes on and on!

My questions are- is she too young to be heel training to such a high standard and as a puppy be getting used to all the sights and smells etc?

or am I missing something fundamental with her basic training?

your advice would be welcoming.

many thanks

Chris

Firstly spanj thank you very much!

Secondly yes it is a little young to expect consistent heeling, especially when there's exciting stuff going on around them - at that age it's very hard to a pup to learn excitement inhibition to that extent.

Stick with it, expose pup to as many sights, sounds and experiences as possible without making pulling on the lead rewarding.

As for sit and stay, don't always call her over, it can make them creep and anticipate your signals. Far too much to type and I haven't seen the pup but what I can say is:

Don't panic, don't rush, and don't put too much pressure on yourself and puppy.

Best of luck :)