First lee Enfield .303.... Which one and why?

a.f.dickin

I want the history of the rifle to mean why.... A bit too much info but my mum is originally from South Africa so was think a long lee boar war is a bit of a rifle equivalent to me, for my first... Then gran dad's in ww1 so smle..... I am proud to be British so one from the BEF.... The right one is more important than the cost, but I want to shoot and enjoy it, so maybe a later one would be better... Any advice would be great.

A No4 is a fine rifle-here's mine! It were restored by the previous owner so is almost pristine.

003-1.jpg

Its a 1950 Mk1 Longbranch (Canadian) Enfield and a joy to shoot. I even have a pig sticker bayonet for it too.

You could however opt for the quirky No5 Jungle Carbine or a SMLE,but good examples are getting rare.

Check out CG firearms for a good selection.http://www.cgfirearms.co.uk/

My first .303 was a 1918 dated Lithgow SMLE.

I'd bewn left £100 in an uncle's will.

He'd fought through from 1915 to 1918, iin France & Gallipoli & was one of only five from our town to get an MM

He walked the 10 miles from his house on my 8th birthday to give me a present: his Military Medal & Pip, Squeek & Wilfred - as well as a lot of paperwork & rostas.

Don't have the SMLE, but the bloke I sold it to 20 years ago still does

Running a Winchester P'14 at present as plan to turn it into a No.3 (T) sniper.....but may be selling it on soon as another project has leaped the queue; bit of a ****** as have a mountain of once fired 303 brass & a good supply of Privi ammo

Personally it would have to be the Lee-Metford or the SMLE for me. Much more iconic rifles, especially with the respective bayonets.

If going down the SMLE route, be aware many were made in India. Nothing wrong with that, but an English provenance is more desirable.

For history & interest I'd go for an SMLE, I have a deactivated one hanging on the wall. Beware, the Aussies were still making SMLE's in WW2, check its date.

For shooting I'd go for a No 4, younger, therefore hopefully less use/wear, and better (IMHO) sights. As has been said, look out for a genuine British model.

I'm told the No 5 jungle carbine kicks like a mule.

Imperfection, that's one beautiful example you have there! :wub:

Edited by Chris Bb

Well I was looking for a P14 as my grandfather was to young for the 1st ww and to old for 2nd but was in home guard. But came across a No 5 mk1 and ended up buying it as my late uncle was in Malaysia during his national service in the late 40s/50s so possibly used a jungle carbine.

For history & interest I'd go for an SMLE, I have a deactivated one hanging on the wall. Beware, the Aussies were still making SMLE's in WW2, check its date.

For shooting I'd go for a No 4, younger, therefore hopefully less use/wear, and better (IMHO) sights. As has been said, look out for a genuine British model.

I'm told the No 5 jungle carbine kicks like a mule.

Not sure who told you that. Always found the No.5 to be a nice gun, though the rubber "recoil pad" was somewhat flawed, in that the consistency was akin to blue circle cement - so it had as much give in it as as an SNP politician

you are a VERY lucky fella!Personally id get the long lee as they were still in limited use in ww1 so you have the history of 2 wars.Whatever you get its a classy rifle!

...as does the P'14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on here for a bit, thanks chaps for all comments and advice. I think I have decided on a smle mk.1 or mk.3 ideally with all the bits mg cut off, volley sight etc etc. let me know where to start looking for a good one.... Or if anyone knows of a good one for sale. Cheers

So its bought.... a 1906 SMLE Mk.1*** it is amazing, need to do a bit of handwork and linseed oilling to the woodwork, but original 1914 edf replacement barrel, matching numbers, only .304 gauging bore ( under .305 was good when new! - could have got a better barrel with a newer one but history appealed! ) going to shoot it for the first time on sunday. i already want another .303 slot... going to put for one in a couple of months, and thinking another smle, or p17 enfield (30-06), or maybe... maybe a no.4 for shooting merits... ie better than smle or my mk.1. I have a couple of other rifles, a finnfire and a sako 75 but both have been "boring" head not heart buys, I am certainly more excited by this, I have found my niche, history and "proper" mens rifles!

So its bought.... a 1906 SMLE Mk.1*** it is amazing, need to do a bit of handwork and linseed oilling to the woodwork, but original 1914 edf replacement barrel, matching numbers, only .304 gauging bore ( under .305 was good when new! - could have got a better barrel with a newer one but history appealed! ) going to shoot it for the first time on sunday. i already want another .303 slot... going to put for one in a couple of months, and thinking another smle, or p17 enfield (30-06), or maybe... maybe a no.4 for shooting merits... ie better than smle or my mk.1. I have a couple of other rifles, a finnfire and a sako 75 but both have been "boring" head not heart buys, I am certainly more excited by this, I have found my niche, history and "proper" mens rifles!

It's a great feeling isn't it, becoming caretaker of a functioning piece of British military history? Here's mine. A 1943 No4 made in the BSA factory at Shirley. Accurised (and I think re-barrelled) by Fultons of Bisely and fitted with a Parker Hale target apeture sight. On a good day, it puts 174gr Sierra Match Kings into 2inch groups at 100yds if I play my part. That's with iron sights and my knackered old eyes. I'm sure with a scope it would do better than that. Not bad for a seventy year old mass produced battle rifle.

th_IMAG0057.jpg

th_IMAG0059.jpg

Edited by Blunderbuss