Legislation passed

LeadWasp

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need to, there are more than 500,000 in circulation in Scotland. None licensed.

Let's see how many licenses are applied for and issued.

"I don't need to" really if you had those facts to hand you wouldn't be posting them, no obviously you cant because you made it up, i ask again prove it

500,000 in circulation where is this fact from prove it

"I don't need to" really if you had those facts to hand you wouldn't be posting them, no obviously you cant because you made it up, i ask again prove it

500,000 in circulation where is this fact from prove it

http://www.scotsman.com/news/macaskill-vows-to-raise-concerns-over-scotland-s-500-000-air-weapons-1-1167239

This isn't the only reference to the number it is estimated is in circulation, so there's plenty more to look at if you choose to. Some say 'up to' 500,000, others say 'more than 500,000'.

Like I said, I don't need to prove anything, the figures are there for all to see.

For arguments sake, let's say even if there are 100,000 air guns licensed as S1, and another 100,000 owned by law abiding shotgun and firearms owners not on ticket, that still leaves 300,000 in the hands of....who? Some will no doubt be owned by law abiding people and others by those who like to take pot shots at pets, people etc.

So, despite claims that there is a need 'to ensure that those who misuse guns do not have access to them' I would suggest it is a little late for that, as those who do misuse them clearly already do have them.

If there is no 'misuse' then what are Scottish ministers basing the need for legislation on?

Yes I'd be up for that (flood of applications for a license) - show the lunacy for what it is. There is nothing worse than poor legislation, or even worse, poor legislation with no logical basis.

I bet you the Nats set the price stupidly high to force a lot of people to hand them in!!

Edited by LeadWasp

Yes I'd be up for that (flood of applications for a license) - show the lunacy for what it is. There is nothing worse than poor legislation, or even worse, poor legislation with no logical basis.

I bet you the Nats set the price stupidly high to force a lot of people to hand them in!!

The stuff i have seen suggests similar pricing to the current licence cost for a SGC/FAC ticket, no doubt that it will be the higher price for a FAC.

Visitors will need a 12 month permit.

The cost of the ticket will be higher than the value of many guns, expect a glut of cheap springers.

I'm not sure, but suspect the license will also cover all the airsoft guns as well.

Edited by grrclark

Conservative MSP Alex Fergusson said: "For us this is a red line issue that also involves an important point of democratic principle which is that we believe that part one of this Bill should always have been a separate piece of legislation.

"We are forced on these benches into a position of being unable to support this Bill despite being very much in agreement with a large part of it."

He cited statistics showing that air weapon offences are at their second lowest level in the last decade, representing 0.06% of all reported crime in Scotland.

Mr Fergusson said: "I'm afraid I do not believe and I do not accept that this new regime will have any impact on crime statistics whatsoever.

"What we are left with is a Bill that will create a whole new layer of bureaucracy and expense, that will take up countless hours of police officers' time to bring in a licensing regime that will do nothing to reduce the minute amount of crime that a minuscule number of airgun owners or possessors currently commit.

"This seems to me to be the perfect example of taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

"All it will do is place an unnecessary increased burden on thousands of perfectly law abiding citizens, and that is not something that we on these benches can support."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/every-airgun-owner-in-scotland-must-have-a-licence-10-years-after-toddlers-death.1435251728

Thought the Conservative response was spot on.

prove it

If any proof was needed it was unfortunately at the start of all this legislation being put toward the MSP`s.

Scum with an air loaded rifle in a house with not just young children but baby's and the trigger was pulled and a tragic result.

This legislation wont stop this from happening again and it certainly wont stop scum or anyone else for that matter obtaining an air gun or for that matter a shotgun or firearm but it will effect all of the responsible air gun owners who use the guns both for business and pleasure.

I don't get the stupidity of this at all, I mean are the going to set up border stops and search every vehicle?

I could probably drive to France and come back with a boot full of 22, black powder and muzzleloaders. Won't the Scots that want an air gun do the same! Doh!

I don't get the stupidity of this at all, I mean are the going to set up border stops and search every vehicle?

I could probably drive to France and come back with a boot full of 22, black powder and muzzleloaders. Won't the Scots that want an air gun do the same! Doh!

That's a fair point. Where does a RFD stand selling someone with a Scottish accent an air rifle in say, Carlisle ? :yes:

That's a fair point. Where does a RFD stand selling someone with a Scottish accent an air rifle in say, Carlisle ? :yes:

What goes on, on tour, stays on tour ☺ I would imagine border RFDs on the English side may be seeing an increase in business.

They should follow the law of the land, which for the moment will be no licence for England

Edited by Livefast123

What you don't realise you are suffering from, you can't cure.

I would imagine most MPs are blissfully unaware of their condition, instead feeling that they direct the electorate at will..........sadly they are getting away with it.

Did SACS make any waves over this?

Edited by Livefast123

Think of it as FAC-lite

Same criteria as a full FAC...but all you'll have legal ownership of is a sub-12ft/lb air rifle

Deary me..... this does seem to be way over the top.... You do not have to declare land to shoot over to obtain a shotgun licence :| seems a bit on the skewed side.

Also read in the BASC magazine for July / Aug that the proposal from BASC to allow existing shotgun and firearm cert holders automatically be granted an air "weapons" (not sure I like that precise term) cert or to remove the need for an additional cert was rejected.

Keen to see the facts around costs etc.... Not sure what SACS was doing but BASC seem to have been right up the middle of proceedings.

PS

Just checked the SG site... BASC were on the panel.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Justice/law/Firearms/governmentaction/airweaponlicensing

The calling them weapons seems a bit scare-mongery in my mind. I cannot imagine retailers would get much mileage out of calling them that!!!

Edited by Andra

Deary me..... this does seem to be way over the top.... You do not have to declare land to shoot over to obtain a shotgun licence :| seems a bit on the skewed side.

Also read in the BASC magazine for July / Aug that the proposal from BASC to allow existing shotgun and firearm cert holders automatically be granted an air "weapons" (not sure I like that precise term) cert or to remove the need for an additional cert was rejected.

Keen to see the facts around costs etc.... Not sure what SACS was doing but BASC seem to have been right up the middle of proceedings.

That probably knackered it then lol.