.177 or .22 for kids to learn?

malkiserow

This is all about kids learning to shoot. I think air rifles are the way to go but which calibre the .177 or .22?

I am thinking breakbarrel

The .177 will stretch its legs a bit more with a flatter trajectory but may be a bit harder to cock with its extra preload and tougher spring.

The .22 is easier to cock but a bit loopy on the stretched out trajectory.

Maybe for a few years at 30 metres it makes little difference on the trajectory to worry about.

They will not be allowed on live quarry until they very good on paper targets.

Which is best to go for?

Edited by malkiserow

I would go for .177 easier to learn trajector so it's a confidence builder, cocking effort shouldn't be an issue if you go for a junior gun like the HW 30 and if it's no live quarry for a while something running a bit under the legal limit to give a easier cocking stroke shouldn't be an issue.

Also pellets are cheaper 😀

I'd advise .22 - plenty good enough for 20-30 yards or more and whilst learning they're likely to be shooting at the same range most of the time so trajectory is not going to be an issue and in any case it won't hurt having to grasp what hold over means.

The bigger pellets are also undoubtedly easier to pick up and insert into the barrel, they also leave bigger holes which makes it easier to see at distance and knock stuff down with more authority and noise which is good for kids. :yes:

.22 hw99 a gun that will last forever buy quality never buy again .22 easier to cock hw also cannot be fired once cocked unless you positively move the safety catch so very safe no nasty barrals hitting into the little ones face

Rickard trigger ...quality for not much more than a cheap and nasty gun that is no were near as good that will need to be changed inagine the new owner in 40 years saying my dad bought me that

Buy quality buy once

Edited by psycho

A .22 will teach them better about trajectories which would serve them well for the future Id say.

However a .177 is likely easier.

I taught my now 11 year old step daughter with a Stoeger X20 suppressor in .22. It's not a nice gun by any means, but seeing her with a better gun now makes it seem a doddle... Appreciating a better gun rather than starting wth one.

If I was to teach her again, or my other kids as they age - Id likely teach them with a hatsan at44-10 pcp. Good value pcp. Heavy mind, but shooting on sticks or prone etc... And in .22 to ensure they use their brain for working out trajectories.

get a Daystate Pulsar in .22

nice and light, also short , but most importantly you will be skint after buying it at £2000,,,, as we all are with our kids :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

oh forgot to say its also very accurate,, has a lazer so they can think they are luke skywalker ,, honestly well worth the dosh

NOT

on a serious note ;; Hamster has hit the nail on the head

Id say 177 but only because i started with a diana gat gun and a baikal ij38 vostok rifle both in 177.dad had to cock and load the rifle for me till i was big enough but the main thing is he kept things fun which is the best thing to get kids learning and keeping them intrested.

It's funny because I will always drone on about 177 if at legal limit.

However in these circumstances I'd go with 22 for the reason being it is harder to shoot accurately. I think you'd learn more about trajectory ect shooting a 22.

Too true - if it starts easy and then they find it harder with a different gun at a later stage then they will jack it all in thinking they suck. But at least if they start on something difficult and it becomes easy, they'll be even better.

I've found that with teaching or introducing children to guns, it's not about calibre or technical aspects. It's about safety, safety, safety. A child will associate a gun with a toy at a young age. Trying to introduce safety with toys is difficult, so asking young children to at least wear glasses and ear defenders is very difficult. If they are not interested in safety, they are not shooting. Yes I'm a stick in the mud, but if there is an accident or incident, then it's down to me as the legal guardian.

I've found that with teaching or introducing children to guns, it's not about calibre or technical aspects. It's about safety, safety, safety. A child will associate a gun with a toy at a young age. Trying to introduce safety with toys is difficult,

^what I was thinking

you are going to be shooting for them to hit stuff initially, any stuff and teaching basics (including the above)

i personally wouldn't go out and spend big bucks on a rifle specifically for a child to learn on

any old springer with open sights will do

jumping straight to scopes can often be confusing and removes a vital learning stage IMO

my air rifle has a 4x33 scope on it the .22 a 6x44

I have started teaching my son rifle shooting and the thing he struggled with initially was using any parallax to move the reticule (admittedly this also included rim-fire so the ranges were often larger)

I have also started on the clays with a single shot .410 that is about as light as I can get so that he learns the balance and foot position without having to compensate to hold a heavier gun

I don't agree that they need a bigger gun to keep them interested.

if you can't smash a low and slow clay with a .410 then there is a problem with the technique and aim/swing/eyeline....not a shortage of lead

Edited by Bewsher500

I would go for a .22. Take a look at the Hatsan Striker 1000S. My mate bought one for his grandson, and has said how excellent it is, especially for the low price.

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/hatsan_striker_1000

To answer a question above..... 6 years old.

I was tempted by the breaker at £69 quid..... but really not sure.

I've some nice guns that they will own when I am pushing daisy's

One of the lucky ones will get the my old trusty tuned Feinwerkbau!

The 900 is a carbined Sriker and is not as nose heavy. 6 and a half pounds and full powered, low recoil in .22 as well!