Crazy day on rape

vulpesvulpes

I shot over a rape field that had been destroyed by pigeons over winter last month and had bags of 101 and 41, anyway the farmer sent me a text on Wednesday to say that the pigeons had started feeding on the secondary regrowth and could be worth having another bash at them, to be honest I didn't think I'd see much sport but went on Thursday morning, there was plenty of birds about and was all set up at 10am, and then they started coming 60 by 11am, 100 by 12pm. at 1pm I went back to the truck for 3 boxes of cartridges I had in there and ran out of cartridges at 2pm 166 pigeons and 1 crow for 250 shots ( I only took a slab with me) .

What a day.

Agreed 100%, they usually complain next time they see you "There were 100's here, where were you?"

I always try and get the farmers mobile numbers and then every so often send a group text along the lines of " have they see much about or are any fields been hit".

It does seem to work quite well and usually get a reply from at least one about pigeons or rabbits and they can also keep me informed when fields have been sown and harvested without me spending hours driving around.

Good idea sending group texts. I often get messages from a couple of permissions but have missed out previously because farm workers have not got my details. One told ne recently me " Loads of pigeons on the 26 acre of peas last Friday when I sprayed it. Told the boss and he's put the gas guns out" If only he'd told me I could have had a day before the guns went out!

Good idea sending group texts. I often get messages from a couple of permissions but have missed out previously because farm workers have not got my details. One told ne recently me " Loads of pigeons on the 26 acre of peas last Friday when I sprayed it. Told the boss and he's put the gas guns out" If only he'd told me I could have had a day before the guns went out!

just turn the gas off then start shooting when finished turn the gas back on, that's what I do, sorted.

I've sat watching pigeons up in trees less than 100yds from a gas gun going off - they seem so used to it that they don't bat an eyelid.

My 12-bore got their attention though!

No doubt in my mind that they can tell the difference. A gas gun is (often) just a lift up and drop back down event, a shot in the air, even 400 yds away is a "*****-off to places far away" event.

The gas guns with 2 or 3 shots are little better but a quick bang-bang left and right really spooks them. I will sometimes pass up a second shot for that reason.

The pigeon field I have been shooting recently had 2 gas guns on when crop was emerging and had very little pigeon activity. Never had chance for numbers to build. After about 3 weeks the gate padlock was cut and someone drove over crop to steal one of the gas guns. Since the field has been in flower it has had a lot of pigeon activity, field has now been shot by myself and 2 others regularly for the last 3 weeks. Even putting 2 shots in the air won't shift them now....they get up, a few drift off to neighbouring trees while the rest just drop back in again.

They will get used to any deterrent and if they are keen on a particular field they will keep coming back......at least now there are at least 300 less to come back.

• 2 weeks later...

kitchrat, on 28 Jun 2015 - 5:29 PM, said:

Agreed 100%, they usually complain next time they see you "There were 100's here, where were you?"

I always try and get the farmers mobile numbers and then every so often send a group text along the lines of " have they see much about or are any fields been hit".

It does seem to work quite well and usually get a reply from at least one about pigeons or rabbits and they can also keep me informed when fields have been sown and harvested without me spending hours driving around.

That's my strategy also. Not many respond but usually you will get a response when you least expect it and the adrenaline starts to flow!

A great this for this gun over rape!