Crow SOS

fenboy

I had not intended to go shooting today as I am picking the new pup up and have a bit to do .

But I had a call from one of my farms last night and was told the crows have started podding the peas and destroying the game cover next to them.

I seldom shoot crows by design but if I am asked I will do so .

I only had a couple of hours so was up and shooting by 5.30 am , I started by putting five crow decoys and some pigeon out on the game cover where it would be easier to retrieve shot birds.

It was quite steady for the short time I was there and I picked 22 crows and 3 pigeon , I left another 5 crows that dropped into some standing wheat .

I also had my first ever triple on crows :)

IMAG0121_zps3eltcehz.jpg

IMAG0124_zpszwviaodr.jpg

Edited by fenboy

Guest stevo

Only just seen this . Well dont mate .

See i told you those lessons on sunday morning would pay off haha

That field of peas i said that was getting hammered by pigeons . But i said i didnt want to shoot it as i rekon i could cause more damage looking for my birds than the pigeons are actully doing . Well farmer has just called as said he dont care about me treading on a few peas looking for my birds . Just get your backside down here and sort them out . ..... Get in ;-)

Only just seen this . Well dont mate .

See i told you those lessons on sunday morning would pay off haha

That field of peas i said that was getting hammered by pigeons . But i said i didnt want to shoot it as i rekon i could cause more damage looking for my birds than the pigeons are actully doing . Well farmer has just called as said he dont care about me treading on a few peas looking for my birds . Just get your backside down here and sort them out . ..... Get in ;-)

Nice one mate , hope you have a good do on them .

Your going to cost me money , I am going to have to buy some of those pigeon extreme , I shot the crows with them today using my Briley light full and you would have time to roll a fag while some were dropping :lol::lol:

Guest stevo

I told you haha they are a wicked shell and with the diamond shot they throw some beautifull patterns even out to 50 yrds with the right choking . They are £270 a thou .

Yes they are a bit pricey but now you have used them in anger only you can say if there worth the extra .

For me . I would say yes as theres not many situations if any that they wouldnt do a cracking job .

Edited by stevo

This time last year you were going through a mid life crisis as far as pigeon shooting were concerned ( thinking about calling it a day ) , now this year you are getting decent sport on the peas and still getting a personable first ( cant be many more to go ) .

You boys from the Fens must be made of firmer stuff than us old codgers south of the border , to do a 12hr shift , a round of clays and then going and shoot 50 pigeons is pretty good going , I recon your Mrs keep looking at one of your photos to see what you look like .

Good luck on your new pup and keep getting some sport on the peas as they wont be there much longer .

A lot of our peas are going for seed, so I have got a few more weeks on peas yet .