Motorbike

Marksman1997

Hello. I have UK full driving license but would really like a motorbike license.

Do you need to take a separate theory test or would i be covered by car one?

Is the test easy to pass if you just went for it?

Or would it be better to just get a CBT? (That way i think you don't need a theory or practical test just some training??)

Any Advice??

You don't need a theory for CBT but that will limit what you can ride.

I did my direct access about 3 years ago so can ride anything now. I had to do a theory for that but as a driver it was all pretty much common sense and didn't have to learn anything new.

Some new licensing laws came in other year so all depends on ages etc now on what you can ride.

Is best thing I ever did getting my bike licence. I also really enjoyed my lessons. The second time I have ever been on a bike (1st been CBT) my instructor took us off to the coast for the day on the back roads was bricking it at first but loved it once we got going

Hello. I have UK full driving license but would really like a motorbike license.

Do you need to take a separate theory test or would i be covered by car one?

Is the test easy to pass if you just went for it?

Or would it be better to just get a CBT? (That way i think you don't need a theory or practical test just some training??)

Any Advice??

All depends on when you passed car test and what you would like to be able to ride.

passed a couple of weeks ago.

Only looking something handy that costs little to run.

am i correct in saying that if you do a cbt then i could ride a Honda CBR 125 with L plates displayed for 2 years??

Very small bike i know. But i just need to get from A-B plus my mum and dad wouldn't allow me to have much bigger incase i kill myself!

I have been on a push/pedal bike to and from work for the last 2 years so can handle one of those well and am quite aware. (im sure its much different on a motorbike though??)

Thanks for input.

Agreed loads of options when it comes to a 125 such as a yzf125r. Just remember smaller bike doesn't mean safer. Probably opposite in fact but good starting point. Especially seen as if you did test you would be restricted for 2 years unless 24 I think to do direct access. But they do involve a theory test.

I actually found I rode safer on a ZXR400L2 than I did my mates on their 125's... likely because I knew that I had infinitely more speed so didn't bother, whereas they would need to wring the necks out of their 125's to feel good...

However, this was a fair while back and I doubt there's many 2 stroke RS125's left which aren't bent to hell and back.

CBR 125's seem ok, 4 stroke, bit of torque and reliable - sounds good.

So how does this work?

I go for a CBT which i should complete in ___ days and it will cost roughly £__. (please fill in the blanks for me.)

Then i get a certificate or something that allows me to ride a CBR125 for 2 years with L plates displayed unsupervised.

Is that it??

CBT Takes a day to do and they cost about £100.

Not sure if I read earlier if you have a car licence the CBT lasts the life of the car licence will try find clarification for you.

This link should help

https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence

Edited by James1983

You can ride a moped without L plates and without taking the full motorcycle test if either:

you have a car driving licence and a compulsory basic training (CBT) certificate

you passed your driving test before 1 February 2001

But the gov site does say the above so if you have a CBT and full car licence you can ride a 50cc scooter with no L plate?

Think on a 125 you need an L plate still as that's a different classification to moped.

CBT Takes a day to do and they cost about £100.

Not sure if I read earlier if you have a car licence the CBT lasts the life of the car licence will try find clarification for you.

This link should help

https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence

so by this do you mean it lasts more than 2 years?

Can you fail CBT?

Not sure it sounds like it but best asking an instructor they know the driving laws inside out.

You can fail but you would have to do something seriously wrong.

I got offered a geared bike or a twist and go scooter but I stayed with the bike and I managed to pass when it was my first time ever on a bike and had to get used to the gears.

You will do a couple hours in a safe area (normally a empty car park on Tarmac area) doing slow manoeuvres emergency stops etc then go for a road ride. I was bricking it and pulled out of a t junction and slipped the clutch two quick and nearly went straight on to the kerb hitting a guy walking. Managed to turn just before the kerb and bring it under control and I still passed.

Just find a local training centre get booked in you will be fine.

If you are driving a moped (50cc) on a full car licence passed before feb 2001 and therefore without L-plates yes you can take pillion passengers as long as the vehicle is designed to take them.

If you are riding a moped or 125 on L-plates having completed your CBT then you are not permitted to take pillion passengers until a full test is completed be that a restricted licence or direct access.

I'm currently doing my direct acceess. Did my CBT 3 weeks ago. 6 hours total, 4 in a car park to practice then a 2 hour road session. I did mine on a scooter and looking back it was the best choice because I hadn't ridden geared bikes for 15 plus years and it would be hard to learn that as well as the CBT stuff. Get your theory test booked early as usually a 3/4 week wait is in order.

After CBT you should have a assessment lesson starting in a car park where they teach you about the gears, stopping and starting and slow speed manoeuvres while slipping the clutch, takes a bit of practicing to get smooth, then you go out on the road for an hour. Once your ok with a 125cc you then jump onto a 650cc normally and once your riding at a competent level you can do your mod 1 test of manoeuvring in a car park then you do your mod 2 which is road riding and a emergency swerve in a closed off area.

Finally your CBT and theory test pass are only valid from the date you took your test till 2 years time. Hope this helps and hasn't bored you.

ATB 425

If you are driving a moped (50cc) on a full car licence passed before feb 2001 and therefore without L-plates yes you can take pillion passengers as long as the vehicle is designed to take them.

If you are riding a moped or 125 on L-plates having completed your CBT then you are not permitted to take pillion passengers until a full test is completed be that a restricted licence or direct access.

i had a feeling that this used to be the case but didnt know if it had been changed in recent years.