Deer calibre

kyska

Hello,

I've been given the 'go ahead' for a larger deer calibre, a friend and I have stalks booked for this year and next.

I'm looking for a calibre to deal with all UK deer, not just muntjac which I have sorted in my cabinet.

After lots of reading and talking I've come to the conclusion of the these calibre so, any learned advice would be much appreciated. I know that there will be the call for .308, and a damned good call it is, but, in all honesty, I just don't fancy one.

So

25-06 (I've heard from good sources it's a fabulous calibre, but is it suitable for novices on the bigger species? Ie light bullets compared to below)

.270 (I hear nothing but good reports)

.30-06

.280 Remington (underrated, but the the rifles are like hens teeth, I can only guess the ammo is too).

What do you think?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6.5 x 55?

Thanks, but these are choices I've come up with, don't chick another spanner in the works!

Not what you want to hear but personally I would go for a 308. Ammo should be available in any rfd and rifles are common as muck so you could buy cheap or expensive.

I know, I've no idea why, it's just choice, I'm a bit of a tart with guns, rifles and shotguns.

Thanks, but these are choices I've come up with, don't chick another spanner in the works!

I know, I've no idea why, it's just choice, I'm a bit of a tart with guns, rifles and shotguns.

Nothing wrong with that, would be boring if we all had the same taste in guns.

I don't know why certain calibres would be more suitable for a novice ,never heard of this one before . Overlook the the venerable .308 and you wil overlook the the best all round rifle for deer that money can buy . If you don't want a .308 then the next choice for me would be the mighty .270 . Either of these two calibres will be more than enough gun for anything that you would want to address in this country and in Europe . I have used both these calibres extensively over the last 50 years and they have never let me down .

Harnser

I don't know why certain calibres would be more suitable for a novice ,never heard of this one before . Overlook the the venerable .308 and you wil overlook the the best all round rifle for deer that money can buy . If you don't want a .308 then the next choice for me would be the mighty .270 . Either of these two calibres will be more than enough gun for anything that you would want to address in this country and in Europe . I have used both these calibres extensively over the last 50 years and they have never let me down .

Harnser

Harnser,

I'm not a novice to shooting, my comment about the 25-06 came from a friend who has shot a lot, similar to your experience and he stated he wouldn't let a new comer to bigger species use a 25.

The .270 is very appealing.

.243 (tin hat on)

Mine does everything from munty to reds and sika and I have never lost a beast yet.

Like harnser though I dont see why any calibre is more suited to a novice. Put the bullet in the right place and there is no problem.

You may want to consider that there is not really a do all calibre though. If you are not putting the bullet in the right place you will be getting meat damage and/or runners. I saw a guy on a dsc2 assessment shoot a roe buck in the back leg recently!!!! Not many calibres will help you there!

I have had a 25-06 (a lovely steyr) and did find it a nice shooting calibre but always gravitate back to the .243.

Edd

1 thing to bear in mind might be non lead/copper bullets while it may not be banned wholescale, some forestry companies are talking about banning them on there ground.

I've heard 308's are well suited to copper bullets but not so easy with 270 (something to do with bullet length and bolt travel i believe?) so might be worth doing more homework and looking into that side off things.

i honestly think there is very little real difference between most of the 'similar' calibres and most will perform equally well at 'normal' stalking distances, yet folk would argue all day about which is 'best'

I've just bought a blaser 6.5x55 and think it's a fantastic calibre. Light recoil and very accurate even a relative novice like me was hitting bullseyes at 300 yards with it. Factory ammo can be a little pricey I plan to reload after I've gone through the factory rounds I have.

I've shot a .270 and I may be a bit lady like here but for me it kicked like a mule even with a mod on.

Are you shooting the odd big one with mostly small and medium at medium range?

I'd look at the 7mm calibres...... a 7.08 if you want a more "medium gun" or if you want to push out your range a bit and still shoot flatter then maybe a 7mm Remington magnum

I shoot a 275 Rigby or 7 x 57 which is softer shooting than my .243 !! It is flat up to 150 metres and just a 2.5 inch drop at 200 metres but at 250 metres I get a 10 inch drop..... fine when you know it.

I've just bought a blaser 6.5x55 and think it's a fantastic calibre. Light recoil and very accurate even a relative novice like me was hitting bullseyes at 300 yards with it. Factory ammo can be a little pricey I plan to reload after I've gone through the factory rounds I have.

I've shot a .270 and I may be a bit lady like here but for me it kicked like a mule even with a mod on.

Yes it is a mans gun with a very loud bark at first light in woodland . I have never suffered from recoil from any gun until I had a back and neck injury . But I would still be able to handle a .270 for the odd shot at deer .

Harnser

And what spread of deer?

The .223 is a better muntjac calibre than any you have listed, so do you have an idea if you will be shooting more at the roe end of the scale or red sized for example?

All of them by the looks of it, I'm sorted for the .223, I have dates booked for roe, fallow and cwd.

Yes it is a mans gun with a very loud bark at first light in woodland . I have never suffered from recoil from any gun until I had a back and neck injury . But I would still be able to handle a .270 for the odd shot at deer .

Harnser

I was worried I was going soft after shooting one harnser! I've no doubt it's a fantastic calibre though. I was deciding for ages on what to get and after some good advice from some very experienced stalkers for me the 6.5 fits the bill. Like others say though it is a personal thing as they will all kill deer in this country

There is probably no perfect caliber and personal choice has a lot to do with it.

This.

Most will recommend what they already shoot.

I guess the best question would be for those who have shot a load (like fister) what they pick if it was down to one calibre only.

I went for .223 for smaller deer + foxes and 6.5 for everything else up to and including pigs

I wouldn't change either, unless I found myself shooting lots more reds and boar, then I would look at 7-08

If you go for a do it all calibre it will be a compromise at one end of the scale or the other, hence the 'what will you shoot mostly' consideration.

This.

Most will recommend what they already shoot.

I guess the best question would be for those who have shot a load (like fister) what they pick if it was down to one calibre only.

I went for .223 for smaller deer + foxes and 6.5 for everything else up to and including pigs

I wouldn't change either, unless I found myself shooting lots more reds and boar, then I would look at 7-08

If you go for a do it all calibre it will be a compromise at one end of the scale or the other, hence the 'what will you shoot mostly' consideration.

Bit of a hijack here but dunkield what round would you use for pigs? As I would like to bag one in the future and was wondering what other people use. I was thinking Norma oryx 156g or 140g nosler partition

Bit of a hijack here but dunkield what round would you use for pigs? As I would like to bag one in the future and was wondering what other people use. I was thinking Norma oryx 156g or 140g nosler partition

this is worth a read

I am not advocating a 7 57 because I have one......... but the 7.08 is virtually the same but more modern.

My rifle of choice is an umoderated .270. Kicks like a mule? don't think so...

So far this year the furthest deer i shot was at about 230m, of the sticks, and i was still able to mantain the sight picture in the scope.