Fishing question, don't understand law

mossberg-operator

Hi! Been fly fishing for trout in reservoirs run by fisheries. (Paid). My mates want to take me fishing to a river (not private). What are the law/rules regarding taking a brown trout from there? Legal? Or catch and release? Checked rules but don't get it. Do we have to use spinning rod? Or can I fly fish there? Confused. Can some one explain rules in plain english, pls? Cheers!

Fly fishing should be fine. For the rest it depends where your river is. Each region has it`s own byelaws. For Yorkshire rivers

Yorkshire Byelaws
These byelaws apply on all waters within the
Region southwards of, but not including the
River Tees and its tributaries.

Size limits
It is an offence to kill or take away any trout of
less than 23cm. The length is measured from
the tip of the snout to the fork of the tail.

Bag limits
Not more than six trout may be taken away in
one day without the written consent of the
owner or occupier of the fishery. Day or
season tickets sometimes state higher bag
limits and this may be taken as written
consent. Any lower limits on a ticket must be
observed.

All stretches of river are owned by someone. Even beats that allow public fishing are technically still owned by someone and may be subject to payment and differing catch limits.

I have 2 free beats near me, 1 of them you just turn up and fish, the other you need to visit the local tourist information office and book it.

Edited by toontastic

Check out page 3 of the PDF linked below mate. Each river has a minimum size limit for Northumbria area. North Yorkshire on page 4 as well. What I couldn't see in it was the number your allowed to take for your area. Not a very clear document by the environment agency that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/295532/Northeast_byelaws.pdf

How about using a spinning rod? So, if I understand right, from the river Don, You can take up to 6 trout/day, if they are bigger than 23cm? Will there be any fish left for the future? Is your normal £27 rod licence ok to do this?

Yeah spinning, legering, float fishing all fine on a standard rod license. Don is covered by the byelaws I posted so yes anything over 23cm and up to 6 in total. I don`t think you taking half a dozen trout will seriously affect the fish stocks, that`s why there`s a size limit to ensure enough immature fish grow to size. Plus you`ve got to catch them first ;) River fishing can be hard going.

Out of curiosity what part of the Don are you fishing? I very occasionally have a bash on the Mexborough and Kilnhurst stretches but in truth I`d rather fish a nice stillwater.

Yes, unless fishing for Salmon or Sea Trout, then you'll need the Migratory licence.

How about using a spinning rod? So, if I understand right, from the river Don, You can take up to 6 trout/day, if they are bigger than 23cm? Will there be any fish left for the future? Is your normal £27 rod licence ok to do this?

Cheers, guys! So, can fish with normal rod licence, minimum size to take is 23cm, max 6 to take. How does brown trout taste? Any good?

Yes as long as you have permission to fish from the owner of the fishing rights for that stretch of river.

The owner of the fishing rights may also impose other restrictions such as a limit on the amount of fish you can take, or the method of fishing.

Even stretches of rivers that offer free fishing may have additional rules.

Brown trout is a nice tasting fish, I usually just do them in the oven wrapped in tin foil then have it with some boiled potatoes and garden peas.

Edited by toontastic

Yeah spinning, legering, float fishing all fine on a standard rod license. Don is covered by the byelaws I posted so yes anything over 23cm and up to 6 in total. I don`t think you taking half a dozen trout will seriously affect the fish stocks, that`s why there`s a size limit to ensure enough immature fish grow to size. Plus you`ve got to catch them first ;) River fishing can be hard going.

Out of curiosity what part of the Don are you fishing? I very occasionally have a bash on the Mexborough and Kilnhurst stretches but in truth I`d rather fish a nice stillwater.

Not sure where yet. My mates went to fish for a small stream inside Sheffield behind KFC car park near Bramall Lane. Was awesome they said. Need waders. Edited by londonercsecse

Basicaly a licence lets you be in possession of fishing tackle, A permit lets you take fish

We get people turn up all the time with a rod licence and start fishing, they think they can fish wherever they want just because they have one. You tell them they need permission to fish and it's **** off I don't, i've got a licence.

Live and learn. :)

(I did say almost certainly ;) )

You also said certainly in the same sentence.. The OP was talking about brown trout (some rivers also have a certain amount of rainbow trout as well) which is non-migratory whereas the migratory species are salmon and seatrout. As you say, you live and learn you just happened to be the first person to reply to the OP and it was slightly misguided information. No harm done :)