Smoked Pigeon Breast Ideas Please

numpty

I have been hot smoking for many years, particularly trout and game but would like to try something more adventures with pigeon breast and wonder if anyone has a recipe that could do this. I have used different types of wood chips in the past and yesterdays batch, I coated with syrup for some sweetness and smoked over beech wood. I know these taste good as last night I dropped some off to half a dozen farmers who's land I shoot over and had calls today for more! Ideas please.

Try marinating with lots of garlic, lots of paprika, brown sugar, salt and red wine vinegar for 6-12hrs and then smoke. Its got a slight chorizo taste and is best eaten cold sliced as thin as possible drizzeled with olive oil on a rocket salad.

P.s. Don't ask me for quantities as its always a bung it in and see how it turns out job!

Brill! Just the taste I was looking for, I did not think that the red wine vinegar would work but once smoked, lovely. I did more than enough for myself so my farmers are going to benefit today! I am going to put a bit more sugar in next time but as you said, pop it in and see how it turns out. Cheers.

Glad you enjoyed it, it was only an idea I came up with last year because that was all I had in the cupboard!!!!!

Now if you are really brave use the marinade but this time just air dry the breasts for 4-5 days depending on the dryness you like and use like biltong! :)

I marinade in a little fresh chopped Chipotle Chilli (smoked Jalapeno with a deep smoky spicy flavour), root ginger, Balsamic and smoked paprika and garlic mixed with a little olive oil overnight in a covered container in the fridge. Great for the smoker but I prefer it when the marinaded breast is fried over a medium heat in butter and a little olive oil for 3 minutes per side and left to one side to rest (covered). Whilst that's happening, I fry up chopped shallots, mushrooms and a little Chipotle chilli and add a little chicken stock (a glass only) and white wine, reducing for 5 to 10 mins ing to a spicy savoury sauce. Plate up the pigeon after slicing thinly and add the sauce...deep smokey spicy flavour with very tender tasty pigeon breast. Not strictly speaking smoked breast but the marinade will work well.

Edited by Savhmr

• 1 month later...