How cheap is too cheap when buying an air rifle second hand?

PeaceFrog

I am considering selling one of my shotguns to buy a new air rifle.

I have a 20 year old chinese air rifle, that is throwing out 5.9 lbs pressure,(a mate chrono'd it) I recently killed a couple of pigeons in a warehouse with it...... However I am looking at either getting one of these hatsans if I sell a shottie, or trying to fit a new spring to my old chinese jobby.

I work around sheffield and believe there is a shop in sheffield that sells these too

And the comparisons to cheap cars, I have a new dacia, nearly 75 mpg and its new

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am considering selling one of my shotguns to buy a new air rifle.

I have a 20 year old chinese air rifle, that is throwing out 5.9 lbs pressure,(a mate chrono'd it) I recently killed a couple of pigeons in a warehouse with it...... However I am looking at either getting one of these hatsans if I sell a shottie, or trying to fit a new spring to my old chinese jobby.

I work around sheffield and believe there is a shop in sheffield that sells these too

And the comparisons to cheap cars, I have a new dacia, nearly 75 mpg and its new

Browns of Sheffield sell these at £69 sire!

I've almost always had cheap airguns (mostly Gamo) and never really had a problem with any of them, as long as they are kept well maintained then there is no reason for them not to last.

Have you ever owned "quality" rifles? If so how did they compare with the gamo's?

I've owned two rifles that I would term as quality, a HW97K and a Falcon FN12. Both were excellent rifles and it was a dark day when I sold them. They were great to shoot and admire as examples of engineering.

However, it was a lot of £££ sat up when I started to only use them for plinking, so I sold them.

Before the 'quality' rifles I had a Gamo Expo, Gamo CF20 and currently have a Gamo Shadow 1000. More twangy and average triggers, but these can be sorted if you wish to do a little work.

My point was that cheap air rifles will in 95% of cases not better their more expensive cousins, however if you only want it for plinking as per the Op then they will do the job and will last given proper care.

Livefast,,,

so you havn,t use/owned a proper quality air rifle yet then ,

I,ll get my coat

How very dare you, sir! My Falcons are about as accurate as any non regulated rifle can be (and both together cost me less than the price of a Daystate replacement trigger :lol:)

Thanks Livefast, and I agree with that entirely.

Edited by FalconFN

Hw95 lighter than an hw80 for all day carry it will last a lifetime buy the best once the Turkish stuff is rubbish and that includes modern Webley s not as good as the brum made stuff another nice little rifle is a hw 99s it has Rickard trigger and a lot love them I have a 95 and I would never part with it so am biased to that model

Hw95 lighter than an hw80 for all day carry it will last a lifetime buy the best once the Turkish stuff is rubbish and that includes modern Webley s not as good as the brum made stuff another nice little rifle is a hw 99s it has Rickard trigger and a lot love them I have a 95 and I would never part with it so am biased to that model

You could also say a lot don't love HW. I've used quite a few, both standard and tuned and quite honestly I'll never buy one because I found them quite disappointing for the money. As for Turkish stuff being rubbish? There's a lot of satisfied customers out there who like their Hatsans, they can't all be wrong, just like all HWs certainly aren't right! HW99s with a Rekord trigger? Yes very nice if it isn't chewing itself up with the galling issue. How many bought them and instantly stripped them down or had them tuned to make them right?

Nothing is perfect no matter what you pay but some things are a lot better value for money.

have to say gents, when I first saw the falconfn12 I thought it was a dog training implement,,,,,,

the size of that hole in the stock was big enough for my jack Russell to jump through although it certainly was an accurate rifle out to 6 yrds :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

only teasing timmy

have to say gents, when I first saw the falconfn12 I thought it was a dog training implement,,,,,,

the size of that hole in the stock was big enough for my jack Russell to jump through although it certainly was an accurate rifle out to 6 yrds :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

only teasing timmy

Never even seen a Falcon let alone fired one! Tease away mate, I love a wind up and a laugh!

Had a look in my local but didn't see anything that really took my interest within £200, I'm thinking that driving for that Hatsan might be the best option. I was quite interested in a Remington express priced around £150 but I'm not honestly sure the quality of the gun would actually be £80 better than the Hatsan. Does anyone have an opinion on Remington airguns?

Thanks for your input secretagentmole, I've spotted a HW99s at £215 and now I am torn between the long drive for the Hatsan or just getting the HW from a far nearer shop. Do you know much about the HW99s? Would it be an obvious improvement in your opinion\?

The trigger is much better on the 99 than the 900, the Rekord is a match trigger, the 900s is not!

As to whether it is worth it? Only you can decide if it is worth it! If you are spending £50 on fuel, I would say buy the 99!

Thank you for your advice, I've actually had a sudden change of heart and this cheap air rifle idea has spiralled out of control :lol: I was researching the HW99s and discovered it isn't even German made, which was when I discovered the British made Air Arms TX200, which is so pretty I decided I have to own one regardless of it's price (400 local to me). Weeks of saving ahead, hoping to get it before summer is over!

Thank you for your advice, I've actually had a sudden change of heart and this cheap air rifle idea has spiralled out of control :lol: I was researching the HW99s and discovered it isn't even German made, which was when I discovered the British made Air Arms TX200, which is so pretty I decided I have to own one regardless of it's price (400 local to me). Weeks of saving ahead, hoping to get it before summer is over!

Where do they make the 99 then?

They are all made in Germany you know!

http://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/tests/head-to-head-cometa-220-v-weihrauch-hw99s/

Edited by secretagentmole

only teasing timmy

Must admit, the skeleton stock of my falcon was useful to store rolled up jumper through lol.

Well that it a very good choice indeed :good:. In my view the only spring rifle that is prettier is the Air Arms Prosport. I don't need one but I will treat myself one day.

I'm pretty sure i saw an advert get put up this Sunday in my Airgun club for one of the guys selling a Pro-Sport for ~£375

hello, there seems to be quite a lot of anti hatsan air rifles on this thread but in all honesty you get what you pay for, there seems to be some bad reports on HW QC and going back to the importer. for £69 the 900X seems a good value rifle for those not wanting to spend a lot and as many hatsan owners a good tune and will shoot well and last years. having been shooting over 50 years and seen many oldy rifles still in use today the modern offerings if looked after might serve a few decades but a lot of shooter change/ upgrade and there are many good deals s/h but if i were only to have one rifle just for a bit of hunting and targets that 900X tuned and re lubed and scoped for £150 would see me out. as happens i have a CZ slavia 634 .22 scoped and silencer fitted for sale at £175 but cant sell or maybe people think they are **** to.