Whistles

i have heard said that a 211 1/2 is good for labs and 210 1/2 is best for spaniels, I went for a 210 1/2 for my springer and I think most people do, I wish I had bought an uncommon one because it has caused confusion when working with other spaniels and everyone has the same tone whistle.

Someone told me not to worry when I first bought a whistle 'your dog will know it's you that's whistling' someone said, he is still a young dog and maybe things will change, I have seen mine and two older springers all sit up when I whistled mine to sit ha ha.

I seriously would change if I hadn't bought five of the same, I'm tight like that.

210.5 for me for spaniels and 211.5 for labs.

Interestingly, my dogs will work to my whistle when hubby and I (or a n other) are working side by side... I do think they can usually tell the difference. Different handlers use varying decibels, I like to try and keep it quiet but there are a LOT of noisy ones so I imagine they might get mixed up lol :)

Edited by bigbird

211.5 for my spaniel the only reason being that my mate that i shoot with has the 210.5 for his spaniel so i got a different one to his. My opinion is i dont think it matters what whistle you use for any dog as long as its brought up with it and used to it so should respond to itbut then again i am not an expert lol

Just a silly question has anybody used a silent whistle , as I believe that would be unique and stop false commands???

I know I'm waiting for the comments the dog won't hear it , any comments

I use a silent whistle for hunting spaniels and switch to a 210.5 for retrieving/handling at distance. I don't use the silent whistle fully silent, I like to know it's working! You can adjust them so I have it set as a high but audible pitch. The silent is better in a competitive environment, if you need a bit of whistle to hold the dog there is less likelihood of you being penalised for noisy handling.

211.5 for a lab as rarely need a whistle other than for handling on retrieve.

It all just becomes a habit though, I can hunt a spaniel trained on a silent whistle using 211.5

My 1 tip is buy a load of wot ever whistle u decide. I have them on dash in motor, in gamebags, training bags and etc. Nothing worse than trying to work ur dog ona shoot and u've forgot ur whistle, yet quite often when we having an informal dog training seshion after a work party the ammount of folk that dinae bring there whistle.

Must admit i'm not really convinced all the different whistles really make that much difference to a dog, i always use a 211.5 but somehow have 2x 210 every now and again i pick 1 up by accident and dogs respond pretty good in training at least after i've blew it once, mibee not so good in a working environment with so many other noises whistles going on. Can't say i've ever noticing my dogs respond to an other ersons whistle, sometimes the ******* dinae respond to mine!! :whistling:

The other thing i'd say about a silent whistle (apart from quite dear to buy) is if ur a novice handler and not used to blowing whistle commands its handy to actually hear wot ur blowing so u know u are blowing the right command

Here is a tip. not only keep a spare handy, when you bend over with your poop bag ensure your whistle is secured in your mouth prior :rolleyes:

Why has no one ever mentioned this? I thought it only me and must be doing everything cack handed .

Cannot tell you how many whistles got lost!! Before I checked my bending action.

John

• 2 weeks later...

210.5 for me basically as the books told me so.... nice gaudy bright orange ones for same reason as Konnie lol A friend uses the silent whistle like WGD adjusted so you can hear it and seems effective too, if we train together there is no confusion between dogs.

I have also trained two spaniels to hup on my own whistle which helps if I forget or lose a whistle.... You know the kind of abrupt whistle from a curled tongue through the teeth good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif