Respray

DazzJo

Had a slight hiccup whilst reversing out of the drive...as in I took the wall with me :( gutted.

So Im wondering how much would it cost to have me front bumper and drivers side front wing resprayed? It's a 2005 Nissan Navara Outlaw.

DazzJo

All sorted now guys had two quotes 1 from a new company and one from a company recommended by a friend. New company wanted £310 + VAT and the one recommended to me by a a friend wants £160. So got it booked in for 8th Aug :good:

since when did a litre of paint and a tub of p38 cost £160?

That reply just shows how little you know about vehicle refinishing. (not a dig by the way)

What about;

80,180,400 grit disks

suitable filler + stopper

primer

plastic primer

flexible additive

hardener

thinners

gunwash

panel wipe

cloths

tack rags

paint strainers

gun filters

mixing cups

wet and dry

base coat

lacquer

mop head

g3

g10

more wet and dry

masking tape

paper roll

polly mask

Just a few things that people seem to forget about plus you have electric gas for your oven etc body work is far from cheap and you always get what you pay for.

Edited by Luckyshot

funnily enough I've restored a few bikes and tractors over the years, and while I agree it's very labour intensive the actual materials aren't all that expensive, it is, after all, only a wing and bumper.

Over the years, try pricing you materials up now. They have never been as expensive as they are at the minute.

No but they still need paying for. Every job needs these added to them not full tins, boxes but part usage.

Thanks for clearing up now that works!

I guess it comes down to how greedy folk are. Bumper and wing, even at £60 materials (it won't be that) is £100 for half a days work

That's good money in anyone's book...

Edited by LowStandards

Thanks for clearing up now that works!

I guess it comes down to how greedy folk are. Bumper and wing, even at £60 materials (it won't be that) is £100 for half a days work

That's good money in anyone's book...

Ok a quick break down of costs,

paint only wing,

1 hour prep (includes priming) repair small +1/2 hr large + 1 hr

1 hour for paint (includes baking time)

1/2 hour for polish (including refit)

paint only bumper

1 hour prep (includes priming)

1 hour for paint (includes baking time)

1/2 hour for polish (including refit)

minimum £40 per hr

paint and materials

using cheap materials minimum £60 but a half decent body shop will not use cheap materials.

+ vat.

Exactly £40 per hour! Who earns £40 an hour?

Back on topic if the man is competant then £160 is a perfectly reasonable price if he wants to earn good money for himself. I hate when people (in the trade it would appear) **** on someones job just because they dare want to earn some beer money and not be a ****...

You dont have to break things down and list materials for me by the way, ive spent many an hour working in a bodyshop.

I recently got quoted £3500 minimum for a respray of my VW camper.

No idea if this is the going rate, but given it only cost £3600 in the first place seemed a bit extreme!!

That's where you get what you pay for, I painted a camper van for a friend Ford diamond white ready mix quick flash over gun finish no polishing for £150. Looks ok from a distance but you can tell the kind of job when you are close up.