Goodbye London

throttlemonkey

Finally bitten the bullet and sold up house and business in London and bought a spanish farmhouse in Granada province. Myself Mrs throttlemonkey and baby throttlemonkey are relocating to start something new in the foothills of Sierra Nevada.

Obviously the first (only) items on my packing list are my Boomsticks and gun cabinets.

Has anyone on PW done something similar, exporting their guns within the EC and applying for firearm permits at their destination?

TM

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enjoy my sister went to Monty Frio in Grenada took the whole tribe ,3 kids hubby n a dog lived there about ten years.good expat community ,if your a fisherman Catfish the size of a house in the rivers .and lots of local food n wine places knock your door with great food at cheap prices .go for it

enjoy my sister went to Monty Frio in Grenada took the whole tribe ,3 kids hubby n a dog lived there about ten years.good expat community ,if your a fisherman Catfish the size of a house in the rivers .and lots of local food n wine places knock your door with great food at cheap prices .go for it

Second on my packing list My carp rods!

I can only give you guidance for France.

When initially bring over some toys I did so using a European Firearms Pass issued by my local Force.

This covered me for general use assuming the guns in question are not restricted in the country that you are visiting.

I did in e meantime apply for my Licence here which was easy peasy and then after six months I was able to obtain without difficulty permits for a couple of pistols and semi auto Rifle in .223.

As mentioned, not sure on the requirements in Spain but a bit of googling should see you right.....

Above all, enjoy your time

Good on you all. We fancy doing that but probably would be to Greece.

We have relatives that live in Spain and have done for 10+years which they seem to enjoy.

The main thing is security, get some wrecker bars on all windows and a good security system, plus you'll have your guns for if the Romanians or Moroccans are about.

The only lingo you need to know is "grande ceveza por favor" or something like that.

Do you understand irony?

:lol:

Good luck to the OP, but please do us all a favour though and learn the language. My mother in law lives in a Brit ghetto in Spain and all the locals mock them mercilessly for going on about immigrants who can't speak English whilst being unable to get far beyond a botched drink order themselves in Spanish.

Great location, cracking tapas, watch the local wine called costa, can give you a bit of a headache :yes: . Grandchildren grew up in Torvizcon, both fluent in written and spoken. Have seen some good boar shot in the foothills, Look forward to some long hot summers, and i mean hot. Enjoy

Good on you all. We fancy doing that but probably would be to Greece.

We have relatives that live in Spain and have done for 10+years which they seem to enjoy.

The main thing is security, get some wrecker bars on all windows and a good security system, plus you'll have your guns for if the Romanians or Moroccans are about.

The only lingo you need to know is "grande ceveza por favor" or something like that.

Pinta

I moved out to Ibiza last year and brought a shotgun over at Christmas.

As mentioned I brought it over with a European Firearms Pass which was provided by my FEO. I had to list the guns I was taking on the pass; simply think of it as a passport for your gun.

The UK police checked me out at the airport and the Guardia Civil were waiting for me on arrival at Ibiza airport. They took me to a room and checked the gun over and matched the serial numbers with what was on my pass. They asked why I had it with me (hunting), where I was staying (family member's house) and how long I would have the gun in the country (a few months).

Being as there is no formal address here in Ibiza, only the name of the finca I have never had a visit and the gun is locked away here for the foreseeable future.

As I understand it the correct procedure is for me to apply for a Spanish license but as with most Spanish beaurocracy it made little sense to me so I haven't done it. I assume I will need to return it to the UK before my certificate is due for renewal otherwise it will be missing from my inspection.

Reminds me of the opening sceen of Sexy Beast, the movie .. if you've seen it you'll understand .. its sheer class!

Great film! Ben Kingsley in that is one scary performance!

Throttlemonkey, this will be an amazing adventure for your family. For my son (who is 4) it has been a fantastic move. He is starting to speak the language, he plays outside everyday and he is constantly smiling.

The only thing I would change is to be on the mainland. We lived in Málaga for a while and it was great but Ibiza is small and telecoms are horrendous. You're in a fantastic part of Spain!

Have fun!

Gal .. People say, "Don't you miss it, Gal?" I say, "What, England? Nah. ******* place. It's a dump. Don't make me laugh. Grey, grimy, sooty. What a **** hole. What a toilet. Every **** with a long face shuffling about, moaning, all worried. No thanks, not for me." They say, "What's it like, then, Spain?" And I'll say, "It's hot. Hot. Oh, it's ******* hot. Too hot? Not for me, I love it."

The effect of the sensorship police will dampen down the full script ... its funny and cool as you like ... class movie

Edited by hoggysreels