Wayward ESS pup

popa bear

Hi everyone a few months on from getting my ESS pup TY now seven and a half months old training was just starting to go well and he came up with a front elbow injury.He will hup at command and stay he usually returns to two peeps of the whistle.He has started quartering training and is picking it up well.He even retrieved a freshly shot pigeon out of the long grass after working out how to pick it up(bless him he could hardly get it in his mouth).However he has been off training for a couple of weeks to rest his elbow and now after not being out for a while when I take him out he just legs it.I whistle him and shout him but he won:t come back till he is ready.i walk off the other way which sometimes helps I want him to run on but under control.Anyone got any idea or do I have to go back to basics or could this just be that he hasn;t been out for a while any advise would be welcombe :hmm:

I would say you need to go back to basics , its no good whistling or shouting if he is ignoring you , give the recall command once and if he ignores it either walk away if you think that will work or get after him and re-enforce it , perhaps stick to the garden for a while where you have more control over him.

Hes a spaniel there all a bit nuts especially at such a young age id go back to basics and only move on when hes got them spot on after all hes still a baby I love em but then again my missus reckons im nuts at the best of times so probably understand them better ,get the basics right and youve got years of fun together, I hope you get it sorted

Hi just an update on Ty's progress I've been out with him lately and it seems as though if he can see me he feels safe and will go off a long way.However if I put him in long grass and thick cover he works well and stays quite close.It's as if he can't see me he's insecure and needs to see me so I put him in the thick stuff and when he comes out into the open I really keep on top of him and keep him close? seems to be working plus I think some of it is because he's been in for so long.Anyway he's a spaniel after all (NUTTER)will keep you informed and try and upload some pics sometime :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Remember his age. Only 8 months - he's still a little kid, and we don't expect little kids to act like adults whilst we still have to wipe their backsides for them.

You're asking a lot of a dog at his age to do the things you want him to do straight away without making mistakes. I'd slow things down and think of your dog training as a longer-term process rather than trying to reach goals too quickly.

Speaking from experience of training springers I can tell you the worst thing I have done with mine was try to get too much done with them too soon.

It's only natural. We all want our dogs to be the finished article NOW but patience is needed - you're really only going to stand a chance if you aim at getting a dog trained by the time it's 2-3 years old, and the best service you'll get out of it will be after its 4th or 5th year.

Keep going with the basics such as sitting up to command and recall - work it out over longer and longer distances. Gradually phase in dummy work, but do NOT play "fetch" by simply flinging them something to go run after. A lot of your initial dummy work needs to be focussed on steadiness. Try to achieve a state where you can sit the dog up facing you, throw one or two dummies out to the sides and then YOU fetch them whilst the dog remains still, watching you. You have to teach him that not everything that goes flying through the air is his to go and chase down.

P.S. don't judge a springer against labradors that you may see being worked around you on shoots. They are different tools for different jobs. If you want a peg dog to sit and watch what's going on get rid of your springer and get a golden retriever. If you want to feel smug when everyone else's dog runs past that pheasant hiding in a bramble bush but your springer dives in there and brings it back to you, carry on with the spaniel. You just have to accept that they are a complete t**t of an animal a lot of the time but they have some very redeeming features :D

Edited by Jim Neal