New to PW from Lincolnshire

Dunster

Hi there, I've always had active interests in Field Sports from Ferreting to Falconry, Air Rifle Vermin Control and now a proud owner of my first Shotgun (forgot to mention Fly Fishing). The problem I have is that when I mount the gun I can see too much Rib. To look flat over the Rib I need to lift the but end half above my shouler pocket. Is there a better solution than this to promote a more repetative mount.

My gun is a Browning B525 with a spacer and large but pad and I'm 6ft 4" tall. Any advise would be most appreciated.

Lots of factors determine gun fit and more often than not height is not the major factor. things like cheek bone position and length of neck have a massive impact on eye position over the rib. Go to a reputable gun fitter and see what they say. Whatever it costs is money saved in the long run as you'll buy a gun that you are more likely to use to the best of your ability and keep.

Many thanks for your welcomes :good:

I think my problem is that I have a long neck and face - not Mr Average! The gun is fine for length, not suffering from stiff shoulder or bruising after 100 cartridge clay shooting. Is it possible to have the stock adjusted further?

Guest stevo

If you really like the gun . Do yourself a favour and have a word with your RFD . See if he can recomend a decent gunsmith and get your gun fitted . When its done correctly your gun will feel like it cost you ten times what you paid for it . In most cases you shooting should improve .

I bought a new gun last month. When i first shouldered the gun it felt lovely . Very flat shooting .

After using the gun for a few weeks ( clay shooting and pigeon shooting ) i started to notice the LOP was just a knats knob to long . Kwik trip to my local gunsmith and about later job done . Went for a quick round of DTL just to see if it sorted the problem ..... And ... Sorted . Shot a 25 straight

So all in all very happy . Gun and shooter both back on form .

Guest stevo

Purchased the Gun from Derek Lee just outside of Horncastle as I was informed that he was a reputable gunsmith!

Go see Roy Martin .

He will take one look at you mounting the gun and sort out any problems .

Purchased the Gun from Derek Lee just outside of Horncastle as I was informed that he was a reputable gunsmith!

He is indeed a reputable gunsmiths. I don't know how much gun alteration he does you could always take your gun back and ask him however I would phone first as he spends very little time in the shop mostly in workshop. Or maybe try a good coach who should be able to advise you initially on gun mount/ fit

Edited by bostonmick

Hi & Welcome from North Lincs - as said above gun fit is key to success :good: Having an adjustable comb fitted may be the way forward - seeing a reputable coach is always well worth the ££'s ;)

Edited by V8 90

As above mate if you decide to shoot it as it is now an leave it for a couple of month you will get used to how it shoots now an then if you got if fitted in my opionon it will be like going back to sqaure one again if you plan on keeping it get it fitted then you no its down to you why you missed not the gun .and the other thing is i would get a lesson ti see if it is you doing things wrong not the gun . If i was in your position i would go to somewhere like doveridge an have a lesson and see about gun fit with there gunsmith

Guest rimotu66

Hi and welcome, I took a gun to Derek Lees to have the stock shortened and was informed by a PW member that they farm out alterations to Elderkins, I have no evidence of this but might be worth giving them a call. :good:

Elderkins have also told me this, I used both Eldkerins and Derek Lee.

Where in Lincolnshire are you Dunster?

Hi born_2_kill. I'm between Market Rasen and Brigg - so top half of Lincoln.

Elderkins may be a possibility as I have a client just 20 mins north of Spalding. Cheers

OK folks, thanks for your replies on the stock adjusting etc. I'm at the CLA Game Fair at the end of the month so there could be a chance to discuss with Gunmakers on the day - better still if one of them has one of those fully adjustable set up stocks.

My gut feeling is that I need more drop between the Rib and the heel of the but of the gun so that the majority of the but pad sits in the shoulder pocket in stead of half in and half out.

I'll let you know how things work out.

Cheers

Guest rimotu66

Elderkins are really good for gun fitting had a few of my guns done there real gentlemen to deal with

Elderkins are really good for gun fitting had a few of my guns done there real gentlemen to deal with

That good he said it twice :lol::good: