BMW 530/535D

MartynGT4

Time has come to change the car and I'm thinking of getting either a 530D or a 535D and wondered if anyone had first hand experience of either?

I hear BMW mpg figures should be taken with a big pinch of salt (probably same for most makes I guess), so how was it on fuel? MPG isn't that much of a concern but would be interested to know what they're really like for mixed road, enthusiastic driving (i.e. not flat out everywhere but not exactly 'miss daisy' either).

Would you buy another?

It may not help you directly but my 318d tourer has a published MPG of 58 but I get 51 on mostly small country roads and motorway and a little town driving. Not too far off the given figures and I'm sure if I did some little old lady driving it would get a bit higher.

I have the current model of 530D SE. I live in London and over the past year or so it has done 37.6 mpg mixed use, London, home counties and trips to North Yorkshire. In Sport or Sport Plus modes the twin turbos get you to "lose your license" speeds very quickly as the torque is bonkers and there is no lag. In Normal mode it tootles along the motorway, as Duckandswing says, at very low revs in 8th gear. Comfort is good, professional sat nav is brilliant, you can load music onto the car's hard drive, the boot is huge, BMW customer service is exemplary.

Downside is that it is useless in anything like icy conditions. Not sure if it is the wide run flats or the configuration of the rear diff but I got stuck in the Holland and Holland car park after a brief shower of sleet. The car park is flat. And you can forget going on damp or lush grass.

All in all, the car has been very good indeed but my next one will be a Discovery which will be under full LR warranty every day I own it.

Not a five but have had 2 330d,that engine is a peach and plenty for day tot day use,i find no need for the extra complexity of the bigger unit.As a steady driver I can achieve 48-51 mpg with the older 2007 car the most frugal, The F31 is maybe a bit tight still. Egr thermostats and swirl flaps seem the bain of higher milers.

I've had the 3 series 2.5 and economy wasn't anywhere close to claimed but 45 to 55mpg is realistic for that one. I wouldn't buy another, as they are (imho) let down by a pretty awful ride, and with a bad back, that's no fun. The newer C Class mercs I rate higher for comfort and they handle just as well. Mate had a 330D which wasn't much different and huge fun to drive. I've since gone to the darkside and bought a Mk1 Fabia vRS diesel (mapped) which is both quicker and better on fuel than the beemer, but if you're after a bigger car, the 530 is a good choice and not wanting for a bit of shove. We've also had the equivalent merc (C class estate) but it wasn't a patch on the beemer for fuel economy (newer models far better). Note: Manuals achieve maybe 5mpg more as a lot lighter. The 5 series auto, like most autos, adds considerable mass, but my advice to anyone looking for a longer term diesel these days is buy auto as the boxes are so good/smooth and there's no DMF issues lurking around the corner to land you with a £1K bill, as they eventually surely will. Things to check for on beemers is that they've had the swirl flap conversion (removal) as plenty of them have suffered turbo failure surprisingly early. Not sure if this applies to all their diesels now or whether the problem was confined to post 2004 320/520 models?

Edited by Savhmr

Wife has the F30 330 d m sport. Its a belting engine and mated to the 8 speed auto its a great cruiser. Put to sport + and use the flappy paddles and it shifts very well.

We see about 40mpg on the motorway and about 30- 35 around town. Hers has only 11k miles on so the engine hasn't loosened up yet.

The 535d is, to put it bluntly, a hooligan. Many years ago I had a Lotus Carlton, and I seriously think that the 535d would be on it's tail up to 150.

Alternatively, if going steadily down the motorway with 75 on the clock, you'll be seeing 40-45 mpg.

Edited by robbiep

If I had £35k to spare would buy one.

Then spec it with some goodies and you can be into 40k.

In Feb there were some very high spec cars about from Bmw head office with very low mileage.

They were a very good buy. (the wife bought one).

I have the 530 D GT they are built on the 7 series chassis lots more room but not to many around if you can find one grab it they are great cars, but as said before in the snow they are simply a big sledge, not a prob for me just use the range rover in bad weather

I have the current model of 530D SE. I live in London and over the past year or so it has done 37.6 mpg mixed use, London, home counties and trips to North Yorkshire. In Sport or Sport Plus modes the twin turbos get you to "lose your license" speeds very quickly as the torque is bonkers and there is no lag. In Normal mode it tootles along the motorway, as Duckandswing says, at very low revs in 8th gear. Comfort is good, professional sat nav is brilliant, you can load music onto the car's hard drive, the boot is huge, BMW customer service is exemplary.

Downside is that it is useless in anything like icy conditions. Not sure if it is the wide run flats or the configuration of the rear diff but I got stuck in the Holland and Holland car park after a brief shower of sleet. The car park is flat. And you can forget going on damp or lush grass.

All in all, the car has been very good indeed but my next one will be a Discovery which will be under full LR warranty every day I own it.

We got rid of our Jag SType 2.7d twin turbo as also got stuck in a dusting of snow and ice.We pondered on the BMW but RWD put us off,the Jag used to stay in the garage if any snow on the ground (ended up have to get the wife a hire car for 2 weeks one year when we had 2 weeks of snow, main roads where fine,we just couldnt get the dam thing out the street)

Edited by Davyo

Inappropriate tyres for the conditions rather than the engine.

I ran a bi-turbo auto diesel rear wheel drive in 2 winter seasons with plenty of snow and slush and ice and never had any problems with my winter tyres on. My low use, I gritted side road was on a hill. Not a problem.

Bought second hand off eBay (wheels and tyres) and sold them on again without losing too much money. In fact, taking in to account the spread of wear across both the summers and winters I'd say the cost was neutral.

YMMV.

Inappropriate tyres for the conditions rather than the engine.

I ran a bi-turbo auto diesel rear wheel drive in 2 winter seasons with plenty of snow and slush and ice and never had any problems with my winter tyres on. My low use, I gritted side road was on a hill. Not a problem.

Bought second hand off eBay (wheels and tyres) and sold them on again without losing too much money. In fact, taking in to account the spread of wear across both the summers and winters I'd say the cost was neutral.

YMMV.

Looked into this after trying snow socks, It was cheaper to hire a small car for 2 weeks than but 4 winter tyres for an SType.

We're lucky enough to go years without seeing any snow down here and I'll have a 4x4 before we see any more so not really a problem for us.

I can see how wide tyres, bucket loads of torque, auto box and RWD would make snow driving 'interesting' though :yes:

Edited by MartynGT4

We're lucky enough to go years without seeing any snow down here and I'll have a 4x4 before we see any more so not really a problem for us.

I can see how wide tyres, bucket loads of torque, auto box and RWD would make snow driving 'interesting' though :yes:

The scariest thing with an auto box is in my case the street had a little bank onto the main road & with the car in drive it just moves on its own.When i go to brake it just slides on to the main road.

The scariest thing with an auto box is in my case the street had a little bank onto the main road & with the car in drive it just moves on its own.When i go to brake it just slides on to the main road.

That doesn't sound fun.

I've never owned an auto (and never thought I ever would) so I guess I'm in for an experience or two. I did enjoy driving one recently though (understatement). At the end of the day if it doesn't work out I'll just sell it and buy something else :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 535d 08 touring, it's a beast if car, best car I've ever owned. 36 av but 45 motorway miles. It's stupidlying fast but great motorway muncher. It had bwm exended warranty which I would advise as electrics on these things can be expensive. About to replace but not sure what with, maybe 11/12 535d with 313bhp mate had one and it is so quick.

Get rid of run flats and buy space saver and I get tyres for around £80 a corner on 18s lasting 12-15k. Go for it, u will not be disappointed, and I hated the idea of BMW before I got it!

Sent to Peterborough yesterday topick up a new X5 4.0d - lovely car BUT black with black wheels etc and noticed quite a bit of animosity towards me. Young lads in builders vans gesticulating as I tore past them - you've just got to work those horses. My next car I collected was a Fiat 500 - the Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh.......

All this talk about German cars and snow, In Germany the first sign of snow and the chains go on. Why do you think Lidl and Aldi do snow chains every year? its because they are German shops and snow chains sell lots over there, every car has a set in the boot.

Edited by Vince Green