Vass 700 waders or Diawa nylon chest waders?

widgeon man

Any opinions of people who may have had both?? I hear that vass are super tough and have decent boots on, but never used personally, though I know a lot of sea fisherman use them. And Anser has mentioned the Diawa nylon waders as being good, money is about the same, so just looking for any opinions! Thanks

Vass had problems with the boots splitting across the top of the foot i know 3 fisherman who had the same problem,myself i use oceans and had them god knows how many years for fishing and shooting and they are just dumped in the boot of the car after use ready for there next outing and basically been abused and still going strong

Oceans are made by Vass and are their cheaper version.

Vass had problems with the boots splitting across the top of the foot i know 3 fisherman who had the same problem,myself i use oceans and had them god knows how many years for fishing and shooting and they are just dumped in the boot of the car after use ready for there next outing and basically been abused and still going strong

seems to be the hardest thing to buy for wildfowlers, my first pro-logic pair lasted one trip (i was warned before i bought them but didnt listen) second cabelas pair i cocked up and bought neoprene, stupid mistake as i knew i wouldnt stick them due to their being to hot... so just ordering another cabelas pair, this time nylon so fingers crossed

edit: heres the ones im getting http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=731364&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&productVariantId=3845625&quantity=1&itemGUID=&destination=/user/wishlist.jsp

Edited by kiffy

Vass have made Oceans for them many years I am informed . Ocean last year or so refused to supply dealers who sold VASS but I am informed it backfired when the dealers said fine we will just do Vass

I don't think anyone has an answer to this one. The best I have found is to wear thigh boots whenever I can get away with them retaining the chesties for very cold weather, or when I need to get into deeper water (something I avoid now following a near drowning a couple of seasons back) no it wasn't the waders pulling me down- it was trying to swim with a big rucksack on my back trying to turn me face down!

Chesties take a lot of hammer putting them on and off and unless they fit your shape perfect also when you move in them. A lot of leaks are not leaks just perspiration that can fool you or lead to bacteria attacking the very structure of the waders

I have a pair of VASS 740E chest waders which I wear in the winter for fishing. As you would expect they are not warm but I bought a boot size one size larger than required so I could use them with an extra thick socks. The pvc is thick and looks hard wearing but I have only purchased them in the last 12 months so time will tell. Most importantly for someone with long legs the inside leg is generous allowing you to climb out of the water more easily.

I have never tried neoprene so am unable to comment.

The thing that should be born in mind is how often a pair are used and under what circumstances. My wife has a set of neoprene she bought 16 years ago while we were in the USA, I have a pair of Cabalas here that I used hard for one season and very lightly for another 3 (most of the wear was in the first). All marshes offer a different life to a pair of waders, I know one marsh were you walk 300 yards across an easy field and get into a gutter to await the flight another you walk 3 miles, crossing numerous gutters and even a fence or two

Neo waders are not as good as they were before breathables came out that's for sure, now cheap breathables have taken over the Angling world things have gotten a lot worse for the fowler that for sure

http://www.guycotten.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32_340_131&products_id=745&zenid=efn3ocu72mg6am78ur7temda57

I have been wearing these for the last two seasons, not at all breathable and quite heavy but compared to the last few pairs that I had which either ripped or developed leaks after a couple of trips they are still going strong.

I also wear them at work and combined use has seen them used a lot, the outer legging definitely protects the actual wader as this has a few nicks in it but the waders are still intact.

Ill definitely buy another pair after these.

If you don't mind spending check out bass boots. A few of my fishing mates have them. There are amazingly well made and they walk for miles in them, scramble over barnacle encrusted rocks climb cliffs etc.

They really are very good but expensive. I use ocean for fowling and I'm happy with the wear I get out of them.

That's the ones my friend has, in cordura.

Bullet proof.

If you don't mind spending check out bass boots. A few of my fishing mates have them. There are amazingly well made and they walk for miles in them, scramble over barnacle encrusted rocks climb cliffs etc.
They really are very good but expensive. I use ocean for fowling and I'm happy with the wear I get out of them.

• 1 month later...