Practice shells

Chris1314

Hi guys.

Had the feo round tonight and he said there is no problems with me having an sgc and it will be with me in a week and a half. ☺

So I'm after a practice cartridge. I was thinking the cheaper the better as I'm going to be focusing on my mount. Will be renting the club gun until my mount is sorted then I can buy my own. Any recommendations on the cheapest place to buy from or what to buy? Any bulk buy offers anywhere?

If you're going to be shooting a lot then Hull CompX 21g are as cheap as anything out there and really soft on the shoulder. That means you can focus on all the other important things in learning to shoot without the gun beating you up.

No matter what cartridge you use they are going to be better and more capable than you (and everyone else on PW too) if just shooting clays so don't get hung up on the label. Live targets needs a different consideration.

If you're going to be shooting a lot then Hull CompX 21g are as cheap as anything out there and really soft on the shoulder. That means you can focus on all the other important things in learning to shoot without the gun beating you up.

Very good option. Or Gamebore Evo 21gm for the same reasons.

Not bothered about the label in the slightest. Like I say, I'm just after cheap. Not bothered about patterns or anything at the min. It really is just for mount practice at the min. Want to get a solid foundation to build on. The rest will come in time. I'm in Tamworth by the way. Thanks for the replys.

Chris just out of interest why are you thinking of renting a club gun until you get the mount right?

If its whilst you get to save up for your own gun then can understand but if you can i would get your own gun and then go to someone who can check the fit for you and make any necessary adjustments. Once you have the gun fit sorted the mount will be easier and more reliable.

Edited by James1983

Maybe right as i am far from any expert!

From what i been told and advised it to make sure the gun fit is perfect for me first and then work on mount and practice my mount at home in empty room aiming at corners of the room and also get out and practice when you can.

Depending on where you are located there plenty of good coaches recommended on here who will start out looking at the gun fit and help get that right for you.

Guest cookoff013

Just buy shells you like. No point in shooting something you don't like. I use 24g loads #9 for sporting. As for practice... Best practice is at a range. Not waving a gun in the living room.

A coach should benefit most people.

Maybe right as i am far from any expert!

From what i been told and advised it to make sure the gun fit is perfect for me first and then work on mount and practice my mount at home in empty room aiming at corners of the room and also get out and practice when you can.

Depending on where you are located there plenty of good coaches recommended on here who will start out looking at the gun fit and help get that right for you.

This is the important bit here. What's the point in trying to perfect your mount with an ill fitting gun?

Hi James. I was told that it would be easier to find a gun that fits well when I have a consistent gun mount and not to rush into it. I have the cash put aside for a gun so I can get one as soon as the certificate comes through the door.

Which comes first the “Chicken or the Egg”?? First you need to establish what a good gun mount actually is before trying to perfect one and this requires both research, observation and practise. By handling and shooting as many guns of the type that you are interested in eventually purchasing you will have a better idea of what overall dimensions suit you as an individual. However, continual practise with an obviously ill-fitting gun will be detrimental to your objective. :hmm:

Not a bad place to start;

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CTSH.pdf

Some say that this guy knows a little about gun-mount, try and get past the ‘voice-over’ and look for the multitude of other stuff on him that is out there for free, ‘The Devil is in the detail’!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdwBIv8oOE4

Best of luck and don’t be in a hurry to part with your money for a gun.

Regards

Hi Chris,

I totally understand your logic but there is some good advice on here.

My advice to you would be to mount as many guns as you can under the observation of someone who knows what there looking for. As you will not have a perfect mount a GOOD dealer should be able to adjust your body in order to tell if a gun is a reasonably good fit for you or not. I say reasonably because most guns are built to fit Mr Average and will probably need a slight tweak here or there.

What you are looking for is a gun that fits you reasonably well off the shelf. Practice your mount with the gun, and when you have a consistent mount only then make any minor tweaks to the stock if necessary. If you narrow your search down to say Browning, Beretta or Miroku you will not go far wrong and the gun will still have a good resale value. Also bear in mind that a one or two year old gun will have lost most of its initial depreciation so would offer very good value. Guns are not like cars they are built to last a lifetime if looked after so do not discount a second hand gun.

The challenge is to mount as many guns as you can under the observation of someone who knows what to look for. If you use the short list mentioned you will probably find that you are either a Beretta person or a Browning/Miroku person fit wise.

Good luck with the search, but time and effort spent up front researching/trying out the best gun for you will pay big dividends in the future. Also when you have narrowed it down to the gun you like via dry mounting, I would find a ground that has a demo gun of the same model and actually go and shot it. Dry mounting a gun and shooting it are two completely different things.

You will also find that someone at your local club will have the gun you are looking for. My experience is that shooters are the approachable people in the world. I am sure that someone would let you try their gun if you told them you were thinking of buying the same model etc.

I have tried out many many guns this way, often being asked if I would like to try it without even having to ask.

Once again good luck and take the time to get it right.

No matter what cartridge you use they are going to be better and more capable than you (and everyone else on PW too) if just shooting clays so don't get hung up on the label. Live targets needs a different consideration.

ive used those on decoying............cracking little catridge for under 30yd stuff

Well there is a trial day at doveridge on the 18th to all those who don't know. There will be food on, a host of manufactures will be there letting you try guns etc and possibly the chance of a bargain. So I will go and find a gun that fits well. Will have to hide the receipt from the Mrs ☺

+1 Good advice .