Ignorant Minister

Blackpowder

You could not make this up! I have heard from two sources over the weekend that at a meeting with interested parties in the Scottish Wild Fisheries Review the Minister who is in charge( I dont know who) asked when the subject was broached about problems at sea with salmon stocks ," what has the sea got to do with salmon". Sad that people like this are in charge and likely to cause more problems to salmon angling than what they think they might solve.

Blackpowder

It's astounding. We have fish farms growing ever more - more of them and getting bigger. We have increasing trade links with the Far East for the farmed salmon so the demand keeps increasing. We have grants/hand outs to mixed stock netting stations on my doorstep. We have expert scientific reports ignored by MSPs.

It beggars belief! All done and encouraged by the Scottish Exec. The original post is simply another example of the level of cluelessness.

I couldn't give a stuff. Not interested. Contact the SNP

I'm hoping there are enough people who *could* give a stuff about the future of salmon angling to do exactly as you suggest. The fact that you are not interested is pretty much irrelevant, but thanks for your contribution.

My point is that the Irish fishing might also be hit by the nonsense that is happening up here. You might not have much to fish!

The trouble is that the decisions being taken in Scotland will likely impact salmon fishing throughout the UK and maybe a bit of Ireland, in fact possibly the entire NW Europe. I'd need to look more closely at the supposed migration routes. That's my point about mixed stock netting - we are netting fish travelling down the coasts but destined for rivers further south or even other countries. And other countries have been/are threatening the Scottish Exec (quite rightly) to change its ways. We'll all lose :-(

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e33d6f90-f0f3-11df-bf4b-00144feab49a.html