what pellets should I try through hw100

Taymotty

I'm afraid you've just got to try many types and judge your own results - each gun is different.

We'll each have our own preferences so you'll get loads of different answers. However for what it's worth I've found Bisley Magnums and Barrucuda Hunter Extremes to work well in either .22 and .177 in my HW100's. Watch your velocities with heavier pellets as you can go over 12ftlb.

cheers

Try JSB Exacts in the various head sizes.

NB hoping I'm not teaching grandma etc. but if any pellet you try takes your HW100 over 12 foot pounds then the rifle needs to be powered down to under 12 foot pounds with that pellet.

Cheers,

Mick

I'm pretty sure some companies did or do sell a small amount of various makes of pellets to try out which one is best. I'm not sure how many you get of each type, but it may be worth doing a little internet digging to save you a few quid.

All I can tell you is that - as far as I know from my list of air rifle pellet data sitting in front of me - the Air Arms "Field" Diablo has the best balance of ballistic coefficient (G1 = 0.031) and mass (15.9gr) for a .22 calibre pellet, so should give you the least drop to cope with at 30+ yards.

I realise that at these short ranges, the difference between any pellet is minimal, but when you look at the least efficient pellet compared to that, then in theory, there's a few inches difference at longer ranges, so you could argue that's significant.

I tried all different pellets in mine to find out which suited my barrel as someone's else's accurate pellet may not be yours in your barrel.

Get on eBay and buy a mixture pack for £5 and will have around 5 different brands, they all turn up in little bags labeled what ones they are.

Atb

All I can tell you is that - as far as I know from my list of air rifle pellet data sitting in front of me - the Air Arms "Field" Diablo has the best balance of ballistic coefficient (G1 = 0.031) and mass (15.9gr) for a .22 calibre pellet, so should give you the least drop to cope with at 30+ yards.

I realise that at these short ranges, the difference between any pellet is minimal, but when you look at the least efficient pellet compared to that, then in theory, there's a few inches difference at longer ranges, so you could argue that's significant.

I use the diablo's and cant fault them....

• 2 weeks later...

My HW100 gave me all sorts of grief with pellet selection. I could put shot on top of shot at 25m but then 2 or 3 times per magazine I could actually see the pellet spiralling its way downrange. Tried all the usual suspects ... not clipping the moderator .... clean the barrel etc etc but still no joy. Tried JSB's, H+N FTT, Accupel, RWS Superdomes .. still no joy.

Then my RFD called Hull Cartridge for me on the subject. Their Weihrauch man had but one comment ... "Doesn't matter what pellets you use, if they're not 5.51mm you are wasting your time."

Bought a tin of 5.51 Air Arms slugs and Bingo ! No more 'loopers' and complete consistency as long as I sort the pellets carefully. About 1/3 of them seem to have damaged skirts despite the tin being dent free. Are these pellets made of a particularly soft lead alloy or is QC at the factory a bit iffy ?