taking the pcp plunge - question

nderfel

hi all,

I am looking to take the plunge and buy myself a PCP rifle. I have a filling question that hopefully someone can answer...

I also Scuba dive and have a 'a clamp' 15 ltr air cylinder (out of service) - assuming the rifle comes with a fill adapter what do I need to connect from the tank to my rifle? is it a case of using my diving first stage and a separate hose, is that possible or do I need to buy something? if I need to buy something do I need a pressure gauge or just a clamp and hose?

also (sorry for the barrage of questions) until I have this sorted is it possible to get a fill direct from a dive shop or gunsmith?

cheers

Nick

I charge from my diving cylinder which has a DIN fitting. The standard fitting/pipe that came with the air rifle does the job perfectly. I think you'd only need something special if you are on A-clamp fitting.

EDIT : just read that you're on A clamp currently. You might be just as well getting a DIN surface-type valve fitted (ie. with gauge contents) when you have the tank tested, if you aren't using it for diving any more. That way the cylinder will only need a test every 5 years, rather than the 2.5 year diving test schedule.

Edited by robbiep

A lot of older and BA type cylinders are generally only 204 bar which means that with a lot of modern PCPs you may struggle to get the fill pressure you need as a lot of the BSAs and Daystates run at 230ish bar.

Most modern airgun filling cylinders currently are 300bar so you can get a fair few fills out of them if the cylinder is 204 bar you wont get many fills at full pressure even on 15ltrs before it needs topping up.

A lot of gun shops especially if you buy the gun from them will refill FOC but unless you have a gun with a large shot capacity this can be a phenomenal pain in the bum if you plan to do any pinking.

In general, you fill your gun to 180-200 bar (my Air arms is a bit variable on power above 180, so I stop there).

So if you have a 232 cylinder, then it won't be a lot of fills until you aren't completely topping up the airgun cylinder.

Of course, the flipside of that is that if you've got a 300bar main tank, and you crack the tank a bit too rapidly, you could overfill and possibly blow a seal.

It all depends how much you think you'll shoot the gun, and how far away you are from somewhere to get your main cylinder topped up. In my case, I've got a 232 bar 10 litre, and I get 20 or so fills into my gun cylinder off that, which is a few months.

Two things on the neck of the cylinder should grab your attention, TP means test pressure which is one and a half times the WP or Working Pressure which is what the bottle is refilled to!

You will need a visual inspection at the least before it can be recharged, if not a full hydro test, but then you are good for 5 years. Your bottle can be anything up to 232 bar, so if you are running an Air Arms or in fact most unregulated rifles, you will be filling to 200 bar max, probably 180 bar in real life (in the sweet spot). If you are running a regulated buddy bottle rifle you will be a bit stuffed as they usually run at 232 bar.

Best Fittings sell A clamp charging adaptors.