Bream Fishing in Derby / Derbyshire

wingnut

Does any one know of any still waters / Rivers in Derby / Derbyshire that hold a good head of decent sized Bream, most of the places I have tried only seem to have small - medium sized fish, what I am after is proper sized slabs. they are one of my favourite fish to catch, my misses hates the smell when you come home after catching a few of them. :lol:

The last time I had a good day on the Bream was on Pit 4 on the A1 complex near Newark, I had 3 days catching monster slabs, none of which were under 10lbs in weight, I caught so many I ended up with an injury to my elbow which stopped me fishing for nearly 18 months :)

I fished pit 4 recently but the complex flooded last year and all the Bream are now scattered, I spent 3 days there and only caught Carp :no:

Any info greatly appreciated

I know Burton Mutal used to have Oddstone Gravel Pits when I was a member, very good value fishing club in particular the Barbel fishing on the Dove.

The Bream in Oddstone use to go to double figures and I had Tench up to 9lb as well. Only problem is you cannot night fish.

Might be worth checking there website

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Its a shame that so many Bream were a target of Carp boys in quite a few good Bream waters in which there was a good number and of a decent size 8-12lb. The Bream would move in to the pre-baited areas set up by the Carp boys with there remote control boats or spods, And the Bream doing what Bream do best in these cases move in and clean up allot of the bait leaving little for the Carp if any at all. The Carp fishermen would end up catching these Bream and would reel them in on there heavy tackle, and if the Bream were lucky, they would get chucked in a neighboring water, sometimes at Branston Water Park in the canal, they were the lucky ones, you would find quite a few just dumped in the hedge bottom there and at a fair few other waters.

Arley you mention the Dove, It seems now to be targeted by an awful lot of what used to be the Carp brigade who sit out or in a few cases lie down in there Bivies, they now go for the specimen Barbel and once any of a decent size are in the net then there seems to be a queue for that peg to get it hooked again :unhappy: It not as good now as it used to be, there are none of the bags of Chub, Dace or Roach as there used to be, I have fished there in the past and had around 40lb of Barbel in the net all around 4lb I have not heard of any thing like that for years, and none of the big nets of other species either. I have had a few Bream out of there over time only around the 3lb mark, the Trent can give you a little bigger well maybe allot bigger, but you will obviously need to find them. The deep slow waters will be the obvious spots, Kings Mill, deep slow water :good: Weston on Trent areas :good: They are Derby Railway AC by the way also Burton Mutual has some water that way on, dont think they give out day tickets ???

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.

I will look into some of those waters / clubs mentioned.

Had a day on the Trent near Newark last week, didn't, catch any thing --- but learnt a lot, its surprising how much you forget about a water after not fishing there for nearly 40 years

Allestree park has a good number of fair size bream as did the deeps on the derwent.... Both now on the earl of Harrington ticket.

Melbourne pool had a few and a good head of tench.

Earl of Harrington have a fb page and regular updates

the deeps are the area of the derwent at the back of raynesway tip.

Thanks for that, I will wander down and have a look to see what its like.

I just had a cracking overnight session at Winthorpe Lake outside Newark, slow to start but by early evening they were on the feed, managed 40 Bream at an average weight of just under 6lbs, lost more than I care to think about due to poor hook hold, need to have a rethink on terminal tackle.

Did not get much sleep due to the fish setting alarms off every 10 --15 minutes, in the end I switched the volume down and just waited for it to light up.

:good::good: :good:

I have fished Butterley res on a couple of occasions, never caught more than 3 small bream in a session, so may have to do an all nighter before the summer ends to see if that is any better, last time I fished there for Bream I ended up catching one of there monster carp on very light tackle, it was all very entertaining until I realised it wouldn't fit in the landing net I had, luckily an old boy in the peg next to me (carp fishing) had one which did the trick, must admit he was spitting feathers - he had been there 3 days and not had a bite, :whistling:

Helicopter feeder rigs, with 6 inch hook links.

Thanks for that, I will wander down and have a look to see what its like.

I just had a cracking overnight session at Winthorpe Lake outside Newark, slow to start but by early evening they were on the feed, managed 40 Bream at an average weight of just under 6lbs, lost more than I care to think about due to poor hook hold, need to have a rethink on terminal tackle.

Did not get much sleep due to the fish setting alarms off every 10 --15 minutes, in the end I switched the volume down and just waited for it to light up.

:good::good: :good: