De Pinging or Things That Should Not Work That Do!

secretagentmole

It got to me, the constant cloinggg on firing that Galatian. Now this method details how to fit a depinger on a Galatian, it will also work on other rifles but the spanner required may be different!

1) Remove air cylinder from gun. This is very easy just turn anti clockwise.

2) De pressurise air cylinder, very important, you do not want to try and catch the valve with your teeth, it will be travelling a bit on the fast side. This is done by turning the allen screw in the long brass end cap 5 or 6 times to the right then screwing the cap on the air tube. When all the air has gone remove cap.

3) Firmly grasping air cylinder use a 17mm spanner and turn the valve to the left, it unscrews easily surprisingly enough.

4) Buy a bottle brush for cleaning babies milk bottles, snip the handle off leaving 40-45mm of handle on the brush, using pliers turn the very end over to make a hook.

5) Insert halfway into air tube!

6) Put a smear of silicon grease on the air cylinder where the seal goes and do the valve back up!

7) Put refill cylinder to 200 bar.

8) Put air cylinder back in gun.

9) Try firing it and smirk like a demon!

This fix works on the Air Arms S4** series, S3** series, Hatsan AT44 and BT65!

Try it, a brush is only a £1 to £1.50!

Edited by secretagentmole

I'm surprised a bottle brush has enough rigidity to completely remove the resonation. I have a lump of delrin with rubber o-rings around it which completely eliminated the twang/ping on my Falcons but I have heard of all sorts of things being used, including empty shotgun shells (tried that one but not as effective as the solid plug).

Mines is jammed tight, not an bit of movement at all, slipped and took a chuck of thread out, not going to risk putting back together

But still no movement even whacking it to see if it get the spanner to move

Returning your cylinder? Chambers wanted the old one, John knibbs didn't. Guess where I got one from.

Hi guys, this interests me a lot, am I to take it that you are just sleeving between the hammer spring and the hammer slide rod? Heard about de pinging, in my head I thought it was something that stopped the hammer smacking hard into the valve block. (I am keen on stopping any sort of extra noise and twitchyness on my s410,). Cheers.

Hi guys, this interests me a lot, am I to take it that you are just sleeving between the hammer spring and the hammer slide rod? Heard about de pinging, in my head I thought it was something that stopped the hammer smacking hard into the valve block. (I am keen on stopping any sort of extra noise and twitchyness on my s410,). Cheers.

No, the "ping" comes from the air reservoir. I'm not sure about the physics of the whole thing, but it's probably something to do with pressure differences/eddies creating a resonance effect after each shot. Fitting a "de-pinger" prevents the eddies from forming, so there's no boing/cluuung/piiing etc when you fire.

applied a little bit of heat and clamping the spanner, with some rubber anti-slip matting to gain a bit more of a grip, i just managed too get a bit of movement, which eventually freed the valve

No obvious signs of thread lock, but the seal did look quite dry and there was a very fine burr of brass near one of the thread grooves

Anyway, when the new one arrives, i need some silicone grease, anything to watchout for, things to avoid like it including PTFE etc when buying?

applied a little bit of heat and clamping the spanner, with some rubber anti-slip matting to gain a bit more of a grip, i just managed too get a bit of movement, which eventually freed the valve

No obvious signs of thread lock, but the seal did look quite dry and there was a very fine burr of brass near one of the thread grooves

Anyway, when the new one arrives, i need some silicone grease, anything to watchout for, things to avoid like it including PTFE etc when buying?

You never mentioned PTFE?

Funny I can see it clear as day there!

Ask for some silicon grease at a dive shop, they will have some they can sell you and their stuff has to work with HPA as well!

Edited by secretagentmole