De Pinging or Things That Should Not Work That Do!

secretagentmole

Simple a .22 uses less air when it fires.

It is physics. The .177 has to be accelerated to a higher speed in order to make the 12 ft lb limit. The .22 being heavier and flabbier does not have to be hurled as fast!

Get a ping pong ball and a hard boiled egg. Throw the hard boiled egg at someone and they will get hurt with only a mild expenditure of effort. Try the same effort with a ping pong ball and it will not hurt. You need to hurl the ping pong ball a lot harder as it has less mass despite being roughly the same size.

The energy in a pcp is imparted by releasing air, to get more force behind the .177 you need more air!

Edited by secretagentmole

Simple a .22 uses less air when it fires.

It is physics. The .177 has to be accelerated to a higher speed in order to make the 12 ft lb limit. The .22 being heavier and flabbier does not have to be hurled as fast!

Get a ping pong ball and a hard boiled egg. Throw the hard boiled egg at someone and they will get hurt with only a mild expenditure of effort. Try the same effort with a ping pong ball and it will not hurt. You need to hurl the ping pong ball a lot harder as it has less mass despite being roughly the same size.

The energy in a pcp is imparted by releasing air, to get more force behind the .177 you need more air!

Cheers Mr Mole, thanks for that.

Are 1.77 rifles valved or ported differently to release more air? From looking at the internals of my .22 S410 carbine a lot of the parts are identical whichever calibre you have, or are the power settings just changed at the factory dependent on calibre via the power adjustment screws on many rifles?

This also something I would like to try, but have not got a 1.77 barrel about me, but sure some of you guys might have. If you were to use exactly the same rifle but the only thing that changed was the barrel from a .22 to a 1.77 would the 1.77 pellet be travelling faster due to the same amount of air trying to escape out of a smaller barrel?

Cheers, Boosh.

mole ,,, to stop the sound of the pinging , could you not just wear big headphones with a bit of oasis blasting through them,,,, well that's what underdog must do because "HIS " springers don't ping :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

only jesting UD

No Boosh, the .177 uses more air so putting a .177 barrel on a .22 means you will get lower powered pellets. IE 11.5 ft lb would be round 10 ft lb.

Cheers Mr Mole and thank you for you're patience with me, so basically a 1.77 is set up to allow more air down the barrel to achieve 12 ft lb

With the same settings on a rifle. and the different barrels, the 1.77 will not have the same power as a .22 which makes sense to me.

Now a curve ball, would a .22 barrel on a 1.77 rifle send a rifle above the limit? Not that I want to even try that, but stands to sense, if its putting more air out that .22 with more air behind it will have more velocity?

Bleeding air guns, they just confuse me!