Baby on way, fob the dog off

ShootingEgg

I was speaking to my manager today.. his sister inlaw has just had a baby, and is asking him and his wife to have their dog for upto 5 weeks so they can get baby home and settle into a routine.. Now my first reaction was a few expletives and why would they fob the dog off..

Surely the dog needs to be around so that it gets used to the little one. The dog is close to 18months old and is an overweight yellow lab.

What are peoples thoughts on this??

Edited by ShootingEgg

Hmmm it's not really on is it. The dog will get back home to a new baby who it's not had chance to get used to from the word go and who wasn't there before. Probably then have to get into yet another routine from being away. Poor thing, talk about pillar to post!

Edited by bigbird

Just went through the very same scenario, youngest daughter gave birth a couple of weeks ago.

First job getting the baby back into the house was to let the dog meet her, after an initial 5 or so mins the newness wore off, & the dogs OK with the new arrival.

Saying that I would not leave any dog alone with a new born.

Not sure how an overweight lab hanging around would affect someone's ability to get a baby into a routine , our GSD gave the baby a sniff and a cheeky lick when we brought her home and pretty much ignored her after that, she did get a little more demanding for affection as she was no longer the centre of attention but after two years she hasn't attempted to eat the nipper so all is well

I would say if the Lab is well over weight it deserves a permanent break from its owners.

Both my manager and I say the same thing...

My main concern is that the dog gets shipped out for a few weeks ( id get him back to normal weight sonwould my boss) the as has been said goes home to find a random small person....

Edited by ShootingEgg

First thing we did last year when me and wife returned from the hospital was to let our chocolate lab brian meet his new baby sister. I very calmly greeted him in a low voice got onto my knees with the car seat next to me and it was as if he knew he needed to be gentle. Being a chocolate lab calm and gentle have never been concepts he understands but I truley believe dogs have a sense about these things.

One day the baby isn't there, the next day it is regardless of whether the dog is at home or away for 5 weeks. What they do with the dog is entirely up to them not for strangers on the internet to worry about. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Then why comment.

Someone has asked what our thoughts are so we answer, it's a bit like a conversation but in writing.

I never had a problem with any of my dogs or children from day one. Surely the dog is part of the family and should be treated as such.

One day the baby isn't there, the next day it is regardless of whether the dog is at home or away for 5 weeks. What they do with the dog is entirely up to them not for strangers on the internet to worry about. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill??? Care to tell me why you bothered replying?!? I asked a simple question and you gave a snotty reply, well done.

As for the reason of my question, i find it hard to see why they would buy dog theb as soon as a baby is born want to fob it off as they "cant cope" with both...

But again thanks for your helpful reply...

Edited by ShootingEgg

Anyone remember how scary it was coming home with a newborn baby the first time? I certainly do the first night i didnt sleep as just stayed awake watching my son. The parents are probably feeling the same and so thinking of ways to make their first few weeks easier and if they feel getting the dog looked after is the best for them then so be it.

We had quite a drawn out time in hospital before giving birth about 10 days or so and during that time our friends kindly looked after the dogs. When we got home with our son the last thing on my mind was the dogs and our friends offered to keep them until we were ready to have them home which was only a couple of days extra but did mean we had settled a bit with littleun. When they did come home first thing was to put the baby on the floor and bring dogs in individually to meet him. It was amazing as soon as my springer saw the baby the mental button seemed to switch off for the 10 mins.

I agree 5 weeks is excessive however I wouldnt be suprised if they wanted the dog back a lot sooner once they realise babies are no where near as much hard work as you would expect.

As for comments of fat dogs its very easy to pass judgement saying bad owners but I know my nan is a dog feeder and always had barrels on legs, those dogs were the happiest well kept and loved animals I have ever known even though they didnt live to old ages 8-9 on average they died happy.

Edited by ferguson_tom

I was speaking to my manager today.. his sister inlaw has just had a baby, and is asking him and his wife to have their dog for upto 5 weeks so they can get baby home and settle into a routine.. Now my first reaction was a few expletives and why would they fob the dog off..

Surely the dog needs to be around so that it gets used to the little one. The dog is close to 18months old and is an overweight yellow lab.

What are peoples thoughts on this??

I think they should put it on a diet

Anyone remember how scary it was coming home with a newborn baby the first time? I certainly do the first night i didnt sleep as just stayed awake watching my son. The parents are probably feeling the same and so thinking of ways to make their first few weeks easier and if they feel getting the dog looked after is the best for them then so be it.

We had quite a drawn out time in hospital before giving birth about 10 days or so and during that time our friends kindly looked after the dogs. When we got home with our son the last thing on my mind was the dogs and our friends offered to keep them until we were ready to have them home which was only a couple of days extra but did mean we had settled a bit with littleun. When they did come home first thing was to put the baby on the floor and bring dogs in individually to meet him. It was amazing as soon as my springer saw the baby the mental button seemed to switch off for the 10 mins.

I agree 5 weeks is excessive however I wouldnt be suprised if they wanted the dog back a lot sooner once they realise babies are no where near as much hard work as you would expect.

As for comments of fat dogs its very easy to pass judgement saying bad owners but I know my nan is a dog feeder and always had barrels on legs, those dogs were the happiest well kept and loved animals I have ever known even though they didnt live to old ages 8-9 on average they died happy.

They would most proberly died a few years later if they had been fit , I think that would have made them happier still !

They would most proberly died a few years later if they had been fit , I think that would have made them happier still !

Without shadow of a doubt they would of lasted longer, not saying I agree with it but there a lot of dogs that might be a healthier dog but not anywhere near as happy. You still see it now sheepdogs and some shooting dogs treated like a tool and trained through strict discipline and punishment for doing things wrong, they may live 5 years longer but doesn't mean they enjoy it.

I do understand where you are coming from , of course there are many dogs that are awfully mistreated that have a miserable existance .

But anyone who truly thinks the world of their dog should keep it as fit and healthy as possible .

My nan was just the same with her Jack Russel , she would only feed it corned beef , or chicken slices because it " did not like dog food " :lol:

I can perhaps understand it with older people that are not so active , but as this couple have just had a baby then I would take it they are fairly young so should have the energy to have given the dog enough exercise.

+1 matey.

. When my little sister was born I can remember the lab as being very jealous and becoming snappy to us kids. Only option was for my dad to take it away. No turmoil, no judgement from the masses, it was gone. End of.

The OP is referring to people that appear to have no use for the dog and the baby has taken its place. Give it a decent home where it will be treated well and appreciated.

Edited by Marki

My nan was just the same with her Jack Russel , she would only feed it corned beef , or chicken slices because it " did not like dog food " :lol:

Haha yer mine nan is exactley the same. When shopping she would always pick up finest devonshire fudge....and god help us (the grandkids) if we tried to knick one of the dogs fudges. I realised it went too far one morning when my grandad had to have dry toast as there was not enough butter and pate for him and the dogs!!!

Without shadow of a doubt they would of lasted longer, not saying I agree with it but there a lot of dogs that might be a healthier dog but not anywhere near as happy. You still see it now sheepdogs and some shooting dogs treated like a tool and trained through strict discipline and punishment for doing things wrong, they may live 5 years longer but doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Bit of a side track but it don't mean they don't enjoy those strict rules either does it now? In fact its totally natural in a pack Personally I think being more of a "free agent" stresses a dog you see they like "rules, boundaries and limitations" as Milan says (one thing he is bang on the money with). This brings us back to babies and dogs, it stresses a dog to not be 100% were the boundaries lay in this regards and this can have consequences not just in the safety of the new baby but also the well being of the dog mentally.

I have never seen a fit dog not grin all over its face when its burning up the turf with a mad run around or practically exploding with anticipation on seeing triggers like its lead being prepared at the kennel door or the back of the truck opening and the shooting gear being packed. Seen plenty following a way behind their owner with their heads drooping and tounge hanging out in exhaustion before their time mind. I suppose its for the owner to decide but so many haven't the wit to see what is before them they are you see so full of projecting human thought patterns into their dogs.

When my fist was born I had a dog in her last years a big lurcher bitch that was starting to suffer from arthritis and was also very jealous of any person or animal that took my attention. Never bit anyone but used to try and shove my wife away with her nose if she sat next to me and never learnt the difference between us fooling around or having an argument ( long time girlfriend before the dog ever existed BTW) I had seen what she could do in the field with larger quarry when such things were (fully legal) . So I made the hard decision, perhaps as much as a year before I might and it floored me - yet imagine how I might have felt if things went bad with the new born Daughter.

You have to leave these things to the individual but perhaps some should seek assistance from a good K9 behaviourist?

I agree with having strict boundaries for dogs and being bottom of the pack, what i do not agree with is the way some people choose to keep the dog in check and punish them which to me is a lot worse than feeding a dog up. Even some of the most mistreated dogs will have a grin on its face when out for a run, its the other 22hours a day at home when other people arent around is the hours the dog does not enjoy or lives in fear of its owner.

Long and short of my point was just because a dog is fat does not mean it is being mistreated and should be taken away from a loving owner.

I agree with having strict boundaries for dogs and being bottom of the pack, what i do not agree with is the way some people choose to keep the dog in check and punish them which to me is a lot worse than feeding a dog up. Even some of the most mistreated dogs will have a grin on its face when out for a run, its the other 22hours a day at home when other people arent around is the hours the dog does not enjoy or lives in fear of its owner.

Long and short of my point was just because a dog is fat does not mean it is being mistreated and should be taken away from a loving owner.

There is a big difference in correcting a dog and beasting it.

There is a big difference in correcting a dog and beasting it.

O sorry I never realised that, anytime i see someone correcting an animal I just assume they are beasting it so call the RSPCA and ask them to remove them from their barbaric, abusive owners....Reminds me I must call the RSPCA to get my bumper stickers for banning fox hunting and the badger cull on the way home