FAC/SGC waiting times in Kent

fortune

My co terminus renewal is in and I have been told that they are working on APRIL/ MAY applications. Anyone had a certificate issued recently? If so how long have you been waiting? I understand that they are under a heavy workload and that this cyclic year is application heavy and that there are a lot of new people applying. As long as I am in the system I’m not to bothered as I have sufficient stocks but it would be nice to know roughly how long it is likely to be.

Edited by fortune

Are any of the shooting organisations asking why the system is so badly run? If this is the sort of standard that the police are operating, And this is a service that the public are paying for then what is the chance of any kind of resolution to other sorts of criminal investigation likely to be. Perhaps it should be time to ask questions as to why county forces are needed with chief constables having limousines with drivers and the like. How can a variation take 6>8 weeks? My renewal has the same referees, the same ground, and the same weapons. Surely all it should be is a visit by the feo to see the guns and storage. A few phone calls to see about the witnesses. Aint exactly rocket science and every time I have had a cert renewed it has to be sent back for mistakes to be corrected. One cert I had renewed had to go back 3 times to get it corrected. Not good is it.

Couldn't agree more and I made that point to the guy in the shop yesterday. For a one for one variation the work has already been done when originally applied for. As far as I can see all they need to do is check that that they have received notification of the sale of the rifle. Once this is done just print a new licence with a new slot for the same rifle/calibre.

How on earth does this take 8 weeks?

thats really bad. 6 months just to come out and look at a cabinet installation. How long does it take to stop on route to another appointment and just have a look and a quick check? Ten minutes? Do you already have a cert from another area? Have you just moved into this area? It's a good job they aren't the fire brigade or the ambulance. Still you might not need the cert then. one less number on the list.

can you imagine if taxing your car was done in the same way as gun licensing in this country especially with regards to renewals

imagine the chief of police having a lovely expensive motor sitting on their drive and not being able to use it for six months whilst the paperwork is done to renew their tax. imagine their response if they was sent a temporary form saying that its fine to own the car but you cannot buy petrol for it (like temp licences which prevent the buying of ammo) for six months.

would a system like this be allowed to exist???

of course not

The way that it is with the cuts that have already happened and the next lot that are being proposed, then it stands to reason that sooner or later that this process will be privatised. This is why it is a waste of energy of the shooting organisations saying that they have influence with the government. If they did then they would be really harassing the chief constables to sort it out. When did anyone hear about any sort of moved to drag chief constables before a select committee to account for the time delays in a system that the public are paying for over and above what you already pay for in taxes. This is one of the main reasons for me not being a member of a shooting org anymore because they have no influence whatsoever. The hunting ban was a good example of this. I marched along with tens of thousands of others and the government did what they wanted to do irrigardless of what any shooting org wanted. And when I need help I don't expect to be told "be a good fellow, don't rock the boat,just accept what you are given or told by the firearms department". I'll stop now because I can feel that I'm wasting my life time here. Which feo did anyone in Kent have?

• 2 weeks later...

My FAC application with coterminous shotgun renewal was posted off 23rd July, had a call last week confirming visit for next week. This is with the met though, this made me laugh, he will be round between 7am -13:00hrs. Hope I can get back in time, on shift work. What's the earliest time you've had a visit folks?

My FAC application with coterminous shotgun renewal was posted off 23rd July, had a call last week confirming visit for next week. This is with the met though, this made me laugh, he will be round between 7am -13:00hrs. Hope I can get back in time, on shift work. What's the earliest time you've had a visit folks?

I'm with the met, my feo's a decent chap if you explain your on shift or you have work he may try to accommodate you. I explained I had work and he was at the door at 6:50am and done by 7:20 and I was off to work

My mate and I applied for SGC at the same time, Im Met he's Kent, 3 weeks later I had my interview and believe it or not 7 days after that the licence dropped through the door, I was amazed for sure, my poor mate has had his interview about the same time as mine but has been waiting 8 weeks until now, he phoned the office last Friday to be told it would be another 3 months as he hasn't even made box 1 yet, funny ting is we live about 1/2 a mile apart but just on the border.

Interview was last week for my renewal, I asked for 17hmr to be added to my fac and also for the fac to be opened as I was restricted to one farm, he said the HMR should be fine but the open certificate might not happen. Anyhow just got in and my certificates have arrived back with HMR added and also opened , I think as it reads "shall be used on any land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot" ...happy days