chesapeak bay retriever

two dugs

Hi folks looking for a new pup thinking about a chesapeak bay retriever .

Does anyone work them on hear how doy you rate them to a lab in temperment are they that aggresive as some folk say or no worse than a strong headed lab.

Any info in breeders?

Thanks two dugs

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know 2 people that own them and i asked about the aggressive nature of them and they both said the same thing that they are not aggressive in the slightest. They are always placid enough around my own and other dogs. Theres a chessie rescue centre in cumbria i think as i saw the card when i was at the vets a couple of weeks a go.

Just done a quick search and heres the details Cathy Broomfield 01229 465880 cathyrescue@chesapeakebayretrieverclub.co.uk

Edited by m greeny

The ones I have met have been fine with both myself and my dogs , there are those that have aggresion issues but then so do some labs.

I have no first hand experience but am told by those that have that they can be much more challenging to train than a Lab.

I know of a coupe and would not have 1 personally.

Some people swear by them but know a couple who would not have another 1. Althoou in fairness they had quite early ones possibly the lines have mellowed recently??

A lot might depend on how experienced u are with training dogs, bit like some hprs/gwp's can have aggresion issues and noyt really for a 1st time handler

I have owned more than one and they have been real teddy bears. However, they do have a strong guarding instinct. They are NOT just big brown Labradors, and training can be quite demanding more like a Flat Coat perhaps. Contact the CBR club and do some research. The chairman Richard Playle is a very serious wildfowler and occasionally posts here as Riptide.

• I have an almost 6 month old chessie pup. I asked all the questions you have before I bought one. I got my info from people who had them to avoid the Chinese whispers and anecdotes .

He is a doddle to train, food seems to work for him .

Yes hes been a pain in the backside sometimes ,but hes a pup .

there has been no aggression to date . Swims like a fish . lives with us and my springer in the house

I Have absolutely no regrets and he is going to make a good fowling dog .

I think you need to get the right one .

mine came from Penrose Chesapeake's . She breeds for temperament and hunting ability . All her dogs work .

this is a little video of Eddie training

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0t6kvq77o5ikjn/eddie%20whistle.mov?dl=0

He's going to be a big dog .

regards

Edited by iamspuddy

I shoot we a chap who has one . It's his first gun dog . The dog is faultless and good with my springer .superb hunting ability and swimming is unbelievable . Would have one no bother

He is also an experienced working dog man in other respects and the dog is very well handled with a lot of time and effort put into it right? Also has an American sire using imported semen for fresh non UK blood?

I have had a golden retriever, cocker spaniels and flatcoats. I have had a chesie for the last five years and my advice would be, if you are 100% confident in your abilities as a trainer whilst being 100% honest with yourself then go for it as mine is a great dog. For what I use him for though a lab would have served just as well and been a lot less heart ache in training.

Saying that I would have another now that I (think) have cracked training this hard headed breed.

Exactly what I had heard about their training as I mentioned on a earlier post , thanks for comfirmation !.

But then someone else says that his is a doddle to train , So I guess like lots of dogs , some are a joy and other blinking hard work !

You also have to bare in mind that one persons "trained" dog is nothing like anothers.

• I have an almost 6 month old chessie pup. I asked all the questions you have before I bought one. I got my info from people who had them to avoid the Chinese whispers and anecdotes .

He is a doddle to train, food seems to work for him .

Yes hes been a pain in the backside sometimes ,but hes a pup .

there has been no aggression to date . Swims like a fish . lives with us and my springer in the house

I Have absolutely no regrets and he is going to make a good fowling dog .

I think you need to get the right one .

mine came from Penrose Chesapeake's . She breeds for temperament and hunting ability . All her dogs work .

this is a little video of Eddie training

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0t6kvq77o5ikjn/eddie%20whistle.mov?dl=0

He's going to be a big dog .

regards

Just a question. If your dog is only 6 months, how do you know he is a doddle to train?

Exactly what I had heard about their training as I mentioned on a earlier post , thanks for comfirmation !.

But then someone else says that his is a doddle to train , So I guess like lots of dogs , some are a joy and other blinking hard work !

You also have to bare in mind that one persons "trained" dog is nothing like anothers.

Yes training is subjective. My neighbour was amazed when I could stop my dog from the other side of the field with a whistle and a hand signal when I consider it essential. Asa is good now although sometimes earns his nickname "the ginger rotty".

ok

he is 5 1/2 months .

sits on a whistle , recalls to whistle and is steady at sit . walks to heel v good on a lead and retrieve a dummy across a small river

it was easier to do this with him than my springer was . Hence to me a doddle.

im putting the brakes on as its all going a bit to fast .and I don't intend to use him for another year .

the next few months will just be practicing what he has learnt . before moving on

He's far from the finished article and I totally expect things to go pear shaped at some time

But I can only say what I see so far .

ok

he is 5 1/2 months .

sits on a whistle , recalls to whistle and is steady at sit . walks to heel v good on a lead and retrieve a dummy across a small river

it was easier to do this with him than my springer was . Hence to me a doddle.

im putting the brakes on as its all going a bit to fast .and I don't intend to use him for another year .

the next few months will just be practicing what he has learnt . before moving on

He's far from the finished article and I totally expect things to go pear shaped at some time

But I can only say what I see so far .

Mate they are a very intelligent breed. He sounds like he's coming along great. My advice would be to consolidate what he's already learnt. Do the same drills with him in different fields, parks etc. Also if he won't do something as you want him to let him do it his way as he might know better than you! :good:

You also have to bare in mind that one persons "trained" dog is nothing like another's.

sit stay behind get in and bring it back that is all my springer knows he is trained :lol::lol:

Mate they are a very intelligent breed. He sounds like he's coming along great. My advice would be to consolidate what he's already learnt. Do the same drills with him in different fields, parks etc. Also if he won't do something as you want him to let him do it his way as he might know better than you! :good:

Thanks

your right , they are spookily clever dogs . which is probably where the "headstrong" issue arises .

Getting back to the subject of the topic

if you want to have something different than the norm, and you have confidence in your ability and get one from the right line. You could end up with a cracking wildfowling dog

Just to balance Ansers experience, I`ve owned four Chessies over a forty year period and none of my dogs were fighters.

"Nasty" Chesapeakes do exist, just as they do in any other breed, but it is often worth paying careful attention to what has actually happened when/if you see a Chessie in a fight.

My dogs were involved in the "finishing" of a number of dominance or mating type encounters.

Chessies usually completely ignore other dogs. They are of no interest to them. Go to a Chessie working event and see forty together in close company and you won`t see a single fight. Each dog ignores the other. If Chessies really were fighters, these events would be bloodbaths. They are`nt.

Problems often start when other dogs try to exert their dominance or make unwanted sexual advances. At that point the Chessie will terminate the intrusion into it`s personal space by flattening the irritating animal.

Oft times the owner of an irritating dog simply won`t take the advice given. Years ago a fowling aquaintance of mine had a labrador dog that tried to mate everything, including my chessie bitch. I told him repeatedy that she would cure him of his bad manners but he just laughed.

The Chessie hit the lab with it`s chest like a battering ram, winded it, picked it up across the back and, with a flick of it`s head threw it off an eight foot high sea wall.

You might see a Chessie in what looks like like a fight, but without knowing what happened before it came to blows, you could very well be mistaken about whom is the instigator.

Kent, you refer to a small gene pool and then to an American sire - in fact there have been quite a few imports in the modern era. A small population does not automatically mean a small gene pool. The amount of variation within that population is significant.

Which fully explains why someone went to the trouble to import the Jizz