chesapeak bay retriever

two dugs

ok

he is 5 1/2 months .

sits on a whistle , recalls to whistle and is steady at sit . walks to heel v good on a lead and retrieve a dummy across a small river

it was easier to do this with him than my springer was . Hence to me a doddle.

im putting the brakes on as its all going a bit to fast .and I don't intend to use him for another year .

the next few months will just be practicing what he has learnt . before moving on

He's far from the finished article and I totally expect things to go pear shaped at some time

But I can only say what I see so far .

The one mentioned by perdyfergy is almost the same age as my lab, maturity seemed to come very quick to her by comparison. If a dogs ready its ready I do know they push dogs on much sooner in the States than we normally might here, that has to enter into a selective breeding program over time. 6mnths was a bit early to start with my lab

If you start too early I personally believe most is lost during the re-wire of the brain that occurs during the transitional period of adolescence. But when does this window occur chronologically? It isn't consistent in humans so why should it be so with dogs? Ready is ready IMO if it be 4 or 5 months or 12mnths etc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 . A 10 month old bitch and a 5 year old dog . I had thought about it for a while . Then after the end of last season . I made a decision to look more into it . I contacted a friend and he put me in touch with the CPBR CLUB . after speaking to a lady in great depth about the breed . She put me in touch with a breeder in the Isle of Wight . Again I spoke in length to the breeder a great lady .

I then had a call from a friend who put me in touch with another lady breeder who had a bitch pup come back to her .. I will not go into the reason why .I ended up traveling the next day to look at the pup ..and bought her home the breeder was fantastic we couldn't of gone to anyone better in my eyes . She has gone out her way and helped us out she's traveld to pick the pup up from udthen traveld back with her paid for the op .and would not take any money from US ..

The traing has been very difficult for me .. I've had to have lessons to help me along ..and now Eider is coming along great she's had my wife in tears over the traing thinking have we made the right decision in having her .. now there is no money in this world would buy Eider from US .. she ia far from being trained and we have a very, very long way to go with her but I'm sure we will get there. ..

The dog came through another friend he is like a lion . He's only show aggression twice and that was not his fault.. he is not what you would call 100% trained but he's got better since we've had him ..

Great breed only one regret I never had one years ago ...

I have Labs but think Chessies are a fabulous looking dog .

Although neither is a trained gundog by the look of it the Lab has the better water entry. giant leaps into the unknown should be discouraged as one day the dog will meet a submerged hazard. One spot that scares me on a marsh I shoot has submerged iron railings you only see at low water and the tide can always bring new dangers inshore.

Better looking? depends on the eye of the beholder I think a Lab looks wise and the best looking of all the retrievers is the Goldie. Chessies are often taken by the unaware to be Lab cross mongrels and tend to vary quite a bit in looks through the breed from say extremely bonny to a liaison between a half melted wellie and a coconut door mat

Although neither is a trained gundog by the look of it the Lab has the better water entry. giant leaps into the unknown should be discouraged as one day the dog will meet a submerged hazard. One spot that scares me on a marsh I shoot has submerged iron railings you only see at low water and the tide can always bring new dangers inshore.

Better looking? depends on the eye of the beholder I think a Lab looks wise and the best looking of all the retrievers is the Goldie. Chessies are often taken by the unaware to be Lab cross mongrels and tend to vary quite a bit in looks through the breed from say extremely bonny to a liaison between a half melted wellie and a coconut door mat

I posted the video up for a bit of fun , sometimes you need to chill out and not take life too seriously , try it some time Kent , you may even get to like it .

Just an observation! but would not the Chessie continually beating the Lab to the punch (so to speak!) discourage it? or affect its psyche? :hmm: and potentially instil some very difficult to control bad habits into the Lab? :hmm:

Yes and again no, depends.

I posted the video up for a bit of fun , sometimes you need to chill out and not take life too seriously , try it some time Kent , you may even get to like it .

:lol: Pots

For what it is worth ,I have shot with and rubbed shoulders with people with Chesapeak retrievers and my opinion is that the breed is not yet settled enough in temperament to be able to be fairly certain you will get a workable and worthwhile investment.

We all like something different and better than the next bloke , but unless you know what you are doing and what you may end up with ,I would look elsewhere .

It is not fair on the dog or you if it goes tits up and you have to re home or can't use the dog.

Chessies are completely different to Labs in temperament , not for the feint hearted or novice.

From all the advice I get with training, I believe that is a no..... :/

perhaps the advice your getting is wrong. I've trained a few labs now to a pretty good standard if I may say so myself, and before all training sessions I'll let them go play to do as they please and every now and then when I'm not really feeling a training session I'll get out a tennis ball tell them go play and throw the ball about for them to chase at their leisure . Training should all be about fun and keeping the dogs guessing.

perhaps the advice your getting is wrong. I've trained a few labs now to a pretty good standard if I may say so myself, and before all training sessions I'll let them go play to do as they please and every now and then when I'm not really feeling a training session I'll get out a tennis ball tell them go play and throw the ball about for them to chase at their leisure . Training should all be about fun and keeping the dogs guessing.

Modest! :)

For what it is worth ,I have shot with and rubbed shoulders with people with Chesapeak retrievers and my opinion is that the breed is not yet settled enough in temperament to be able to be fairly certain you will get a workable and worthwhile investment.

We all like something different and better than the next bloke , but unless you know what you are doing and what you may end up with ,I would look elsewhere .

It is not fair on the dog or you if it goes tits up and you have to re home or can't use the dog.

Chessies are completely different to Labs in temperament , not for the feint hearted or novice.

If there was a like button I should have used it :good:

And me.

The ....."unless you know what you`re doing" .... bit is very, very important.

A Chesapeake experience I had recently. A 9 month old chessie bitch belonging to a friend of mine is taken to the home of a another friend who has two adult labs. She`s a big, strong bitch but very quiet and level headed. All three dogs are often trained together and there are no relationship issues.

But just to illustrate how different a chessies outlook on life is,and how it is NOT a curly brown lab, I witnessed the following.

On leaving all three dogs in the room together for a few minutes I returned to find the "puppy" sitting in the middle of the room. The two labs meanwhile were each sitting in a separate corner of the room, in their own house, staring at the wall with their backs to the pup.

She had completely dominated them without any show of force whatsoever. She had simply psyched them out using her physical presence and her "eye".

And this with a 9 month old pup.

She`s responding very well to training and she`ll grow up to be an excellent and obedient gun dog.

This is probably of little help to a novice chessie owner, but you need to understand how a chessies mind works to get the best out of the deal.