dinghy onto car roof

islandgun

Thanks everyone PW at its best, thanks penelope for posting the pictures

I knocked up a rough roof rack and sloping slide, dug out some shelf brackets and positioned the boat, then as the aptly named Pushandpull has very eloquently put it, decided that this was a non starter and it was time i parted with a few quid and buy some trailer parts, (no easy option for the fiscally challenged) I will post some pictures of the boat and trailer in some suitably remote and rugged place perhaps with a fish or two cheers IG

Topped Boats of various wheights over 50 years(Too Old Now)lol.

Made the best one alum tube BOLTED and roller at the back ONLY, if you put one at the front you will see the boat through your windscreen. :lol: .

lash down the back and front, and side to side..

Never lost a boat in all those years, made Mk 1`s 2`s 3`s,...etc.

Finished with a single made for 1 man and dog,, FOLDER,,, with electric outboard..

Sold them all few months ago for £20:00, cost more than that in varnish and camo paint..

The other option would be to get lots of cheap boats and just leave them in strategic places where you may wish to go fishing :rolleyes:

this is basically what i've done, two non runners on the croft, two on moorings in different places, one canoe, and the latest edition, think I should get a grip,

does anyone know of an open, light, row-able 18 foot traditional sailing work boat with drop keel, and outboard well, with outstanding sea keeping pedigree, suitable for line and creel fishing

A traditional design will be in wood and will not be light nor have a drop keel (or even a heavy centre plate). The best compromise would be something like a Drascombe Longboat in GRP. There have been several similar designs such as the Aston Longboat in marine ply (think I have the name right).

Best I ever saw was one my dad made out of bits ,

1 standard roof rack

1 length of steel bar

1 length steel tube

1 length rubber hose to fit over tube

2 steel fabricated brackets,

On rear frame of the roof rack fit two steel support brackets ( one each side ) fashioned to fix the steel rod across the car roof,

cut the steel tube and rubber hose to length, fit the rubber hose over the steel tube, slide the steel tube onto the steel rod, fix ends into brackets, easiest to weld on, you now have a full width roller across the rear of the roof rack,

If the boat is wider simply fit an extension plate across the rack and make the roller longer,

stand the dinghy on its transom behind the car, lower onto the roller,( dinghy should now be upside down ),lift the stern of the dinghy and push forward on the roller until the dinghy is in the correct position,

to remove for boating simply stand at the rear of the car , grip the transom and pull as the dinghy rolls back take the weight and lower to the floor ,

As a 15 year old I could load and unload our 12 foot plywood fishing dinghy single handed without any struggling.

My old man was a genius at little inventions to save effort and stress. He made this mod to the old roof rack in one day.

A traditional design will be in wood and will not be light nor have a drop keel (or even a heavy centre plate). The best compromise would be something like a Drascombe Longboat in GRP. There have been several similar designs such as the Aston Longboat in marine ply (think I have the name right).

I have shetland yole in grp at 15 feet, draws about a foot, its a bit tender, with a low free -board and rigged with a standing lug main. I always liked the drascombe lugger and also like the look of your aston longboat, the oughtred designs and caladonian yawl have great appeal but I dont have the knowledge, or equipment to build one, Yet

cheers IG

this is basically what i've done, two non runners on the croft, two on moorings in different places, one canoe, and the latest edition, think I should get a grip,

does anyone know of an open, light, row-able 18 foot traditional sailing work boat with drop keel, and outboard well, with outstanding sea keeping pedigree, suitable for line and creel fishing

I thought I was being flippant with my multiple boat comment, but more power to your elbow :)

Something like a Drascombe Dabber may well suit what you are looking for, maybe a wee bit small for creels, but I guess that depends on how many you want to haul.

On the other hand you could advertise cheap camping holidays for sea fishermen on here.

Let them camp on your croft for a small daily fee.

Flog them food from your business.

Let them come out with you when you want to go somewhere with the boat on the car.

They can help load and unload the boat. Job sorted and help with the finances too. :)

On the other hand you could advertise cheap camping holidays for sea fishermen on here.

Let them camp on your croft for a small daily fee.

Flog them food from your business.

Let them come out with you when you want to go somewhere with the boat on the car.

They can help load and unload the boat. Job sorted and help with the finances too. :)

:) thanks LG feel free to camp whenever you want, regarding taking people out fishing there are strict guidelines governing this but it is my intention to get a licence to take anglers out in the future (I have a suitable 6m boat waiting for an engine and a few other bits :unhappy: )

Beautiful boats and yes just beyond my budget ;) think it will have to be a second hand lugger or caladonian yawl built from scratch although the dabber looks fine as well, As an aside I did once own a 23 ft Mersey rivers class ( nobby ) which would suit now although not designed for Scottish waters and certainly not rowable

Two other designs which might fit your remit (although perhaps not your purse) are the Norfolk Oyster built by Neil Thompson at Glandford in Norfolk and the Memory 19 by Salterns somewhere on the south coast. Most of these had lids on but the originals were open.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also sure you could adapt your roof rack to extend telescopically to the rear and pivot down! Drag the boat to the car, pull roof rack insert back and pivot down, place dingy against insert, secure to insert, then because of laws of physics reguarding leverage, you only need lift the rack insert level before sliding back into the main rack, secure rack and jobs s good un. If you use that idea I want some form of gratuity for the originality :lol:

Thanks for your posts you royal lordship ( i take it back the elite are marvelous) I know the boat you on about but I already have the dinghy and if I adopt your idea I will deny all knowledge of ever hearing of you ATB IG :good:

And their stability even with two people standing at one side

http://www.kiteboardinguk.com/acatalog/1.jpg