Increasing scores

LThompson

Evening,

So basically im starting to get into my shooting more and more and want to try improve my scores, im currently shooting @ around 30% which isn't great, but I struggle after missing a few, I lose my head and just get angry with myself due to being stupidly competitive character,

What can people offer as advice please

Lee

Don't wind yourself up , it will never help :)

Concentrate on gun mount , use a pattern plate to get some idea of if your gun is shooting where you are pointing it.

Practice on the clays you cannot hit consistently , you will learn little shooting targets you find easy.

while I agree with fenboy i'll just add...

try shooting with some decent shots, it'll up your game in no time.

when I first started I took fenboys route and practiced, I got fairly good and was hitting at least 70%.

then I picked up a bit of a flinch through bad habits and poor gun choice and got a little lazy too, this was the killer as I knew I was having problems but couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. I booked a lesson in the end and got over the flinch thing and started enjoying shooting again. while i'll never be a great shot I'm still a confident shot and back up to the 70% mark, I might do three or four clay sessions a year courtesy of Alan aka hitclays, in between those i'll bag a few pigeon, crow, and rabbit from spring thru to autumn.

To become a competent clay pigeon shot you must first understand the process by which you develop consistency in hitting the clays, one way you can do this is with a combination of reading, dry practise and watching/asking advice from those whom you respect as being more advanced in the discipline, or you could circumvent many of the initial problems that you are experiencing by booking a few lessons with a competent instructor to set you on the right path.

If like many of us you have budgetary constraints put upon your shooting, develop the bones of your technique with dry practise at home then put your developing skills into effect on the clay range. Remember you only get out what you put in, good luck.

Evening,

So basically im starting to get into my shooting more and more and want to try improve my scores, im currently shooting @ around 30% which isn't great, but I struggle after missing a few, I lose my head and just get angry with myself due to being stupidly competitive character,

What can people offer as advice please

Lee

You won't far wrong with shooting loads of Skeet targets, have a bit of basic tuition at the same time, once you're hitting 18-20 x 25 you can seek more expert advice and move onto harder disciplines.

Learning to shoot well (especially if you're wanting to be competitive) is a very organic process, very few people are born with the ability to go from zero to AA in a couple of years so don't beat yourself up.

I've come to the conclusion you can watch as many you tube videos or read as many posts but if you interpret them wrong then it's pointless without the basics in place.

I started of like yourself low 30% I myself always get competitive what ever the situation.

find yourself a decent coach can save you a lot of expense and frustration.

I'm now shooting in the 70s after 18 months.

Good luck

I think it is best to understand yourself and how YOU learn things best and retain information.

Like you I started clay shooting 8months ago, however in most things I prefer the self teaching approach.

So I purchased books, and videos,etc however in order to not rule out coaching after 3 months I booked a lesson with a well known and respected coach ex World Sporting Champion.

Whilst the lesson was informative and good it confirmed to me that I would prefer to self teach.

Like some of the advice on here that included shooting a lot of skeet to understand sight pictures and to refine my technique and swing.

Also doing some dry mounting everyday, dry mounting is a good practice tool and when used with visualisation is fantastic. What's I found that is required was to get the fundamentals right, and to keep on working on them to get rid of any unnecessary movement, and make your pickup ,movement and swing to the clay as efficient as possible.

Foot Position - Gun Mount Spot On - Understanding how to use your vision - and how to move to the target. Following that a good understanding of breakpoints, hold points and visual pickup points. Once you have a good grounding of this lot then go out and shoot a LOT as every-time you go out you will learn something.

I started straight out on Straw bailers and then moved on to CPSA registered comps after about 3 months. Don't worry if you get a low score at the start because you will, but no ones laughing and you'll find people are willing to help. But be careful here as to whom you take advice from(choose carefully). Also on a CPSA registered shoot you can learn a lot from watching the good shooters.

For example look at their hold points and breakpoints etc. if they miss, look at what they change on the next shot and what the outcome was. But remember their style may not suite you as they may be expert at taking a clay straight of the arm of the trap, but you can still learn from watching them and apply it to your own game.

8 months on I would say the best way to learn would be to develop your own style, and then find a "A" class shooter or above who shoots in the style that you are trying to perfect (easier said than done). So as has been said in a previous reply shoot a lot, but shot with a purpose. Have a plan of something that you want to work on for the day, it could be your pre-shot routine, or you may want to focus on ensuring that you are focusing on the clay properly, or the you commit to your breakpoints or whatever.

But I would say have a plan of what it is you are trying to develop starting with the fundamentals and then working your way up to incorporating the mental game side of things. As I say self teaching is not for everyone and it can take longer to learn a certain tool that a coach may have shown you immediately. However I am enjoying the journey and shot a personal best of 78/100 last time out at Gunsite which was joint 3rd out of 54 entries in "C" class.

However what I have come to understand is that it also has a lot to do with confidence and trust in your natural ability to point at a moving target, see the correct lead and pull the trigger.

So "Don't think - Feel the clay into your barrels and take the shot"

I still shoot alone every week but plan to find a shooting buddy in the future. Don't get angry with yourself, don't beat yourself up. If you miss just accept the miss, think about why you missed and try to fix it on the next shot.

One bit of advice I can give you is "If you shoot at a clay target - and you have no idea where you missed - in front, below, above or behind"

Then you were not looking at the clay properly with a hard focus, try to see the rings on the clay and stare at it as if trying to burn a hole in it with your eyes. Pickup the clay with a soft focus at your view point,insert the gun behind it, on it, or in front of it, at your hold point. Laser focus on it and track it to your breakpoint then pull the trigger.

I hope this helps, but most of all enjoy your shooting after all that's what it's all about. If you can channel your competitive nature correctly and in the right way you will become a great shot.

I have held a British title in another sport, so understand the mental game well. When I started clay shooting I loved it because I was rubbish and therefore determined to get half decent within a couple of years shooting, that's the goal I set myself. So set yourself some realistic goals and milestones and work hard to achieve them.

Best of luck