lowther game fair

alros01

• 2 weeks later...

It was always my favourite gamefair

:shaun:

When it was Lowther Horse Driving Trials and Country Fair there were hundreds of lovely female horsie types, clad in tight jodhpurs galavanting about.

I remember one year in particular a very nice lady parted company with her horse and required resuscitation. I rushed over to practise my First Aider skills.

I thought the judge a little harsh at the trial when he wouldn't accept my plea that the loosening of an injured parties tight fitting clothes did apply to jodhpurs. :)

Edited by Scully

Yep; my local so will probably be going at some time.

come and say hello, I will be on the BASC Coaching line and my wife will be doing the booking in.

If you see Lesley she will know where I am.

Should make it :good: :good: :good:

Drop in and see me on the BASC Coaching Line

come and say hello, I will be on the BASC Coaching line and my wife will be doing the booking in.

If you see Lesley she will know where I am.

I may just do that, and I may wear one of my my new PW polo shirts complete with my Nigel Farage avatar which Teal has very neatly hand embroidered onto the back. Looks more like Nigella Lawson admittedly, but hey, there's always an upside. :)

When it was Lowther Horse Driving Trials and Country Fair there were hundreds of lovely female horsie types, clad in tight jodhpurs galavanting about.

I remember one year in particular a very nice lady parted company with her horse and required resuscitation. I rushed over to practise my First Aider skills.

I thought the judge a little harsh at the trial when he wouldn't accept my plea that the loosening of an injured parties tight fitting clothes did apply to jodhpurs. :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

See what happens when you offer your services,he was taking advantage of your good nature lol

50 bird Sporting..£22 for first entry (£20 for BASC members)...£18 for re-entry; applies to either Saturday or Sunday.

Looking at the website I think it will be too late to enter online and as far as I can make out tickets are for competition entry only and NOT for the event, so as Shaun says, and if I've understood it correctly, you'll still have to pay to get in, but you can enter on the day as far as I can tell.

It's not too big a show; I used to shoot in the morning and spend the rest of the day browsing the show; it's easy done with no rush. I think that's what my mates usually do.

You can find all the relevant info' by googling Countryman Fairs.

Edited by Scully

50 bird Sporting..£22 for first entry (£20 for BASC members)...£18 for re-entry; applies to either Saturday or Sunday.

Looking at the website I think it will be too late to enter online and as far as I can make out tickets are for competition entry only and NOT for the event, so as Shaun says, and if I've understood it correctly, you'll still have to pay to get in, but you can enter on the day as far as I can tell.

It's not too big a show; I used to shoot in the morning and spend the rest of the day browsing the show; it's easy done with no rush. I think that's what my mates usually do.

You can find all the relevant info' by googling Countryman Fairs.

Your a gent

Many thanks

Fielddweller

Was there for a fine and bright but chilly 0830 and already quite a few folk there so paid our £18 and went for breakfast; a latte and a bacon roll, and very nice it was too.

A lot of stalls were still setting up and, determined to spend as little as possible, the first stall we went in was Country Covers (now Fortis) where I bought a smock, so not a good start really. :no: This company is now doing very very well both nationally and internationally, and we were amused to be told that a certain jacket they have for sale costing around £260 and which they make for a well known London gunmaker is selling in their shop for over £400. The very same jacket; the only difference being that those sold by the gunmaker are by Royal Appointment.

Anyhow, round the corner to Nomad UK where mate tried to haggle something off a coat costing well over 300 quid but no joy so down to the NGO stall where we had a brew and renewed our subscriptions and ordered a NGO hoodie.

No CA stall present, but that's their loss.

With the exception of Longthorne Guns in the BASC stall I was very disappointed to find that there were no gun dealers present at all...no Bradshaws Guns, no Blaser or Viking Arms and although Swillington Shooting Supplies were there they only had clothes on display and no guns at all. One of the lads said their best day at the CLA had been when it rained and their stall was filled with punters. Very disappointed.

Bumped into a mate who is a member of our driven syndicate and who has just taken on the job of 'keeper on a second shoot; so he's going to be very busy this season, who directed us to Jerrys' Red Squirrel stall where we bought some Ballistol gun products and where we came away with loads of freebies for both us and my dog after having the craic. I don't see much of Jerry nowadays as we don't beat on the same shoot anymore. Then we had some lunch.

There was a food stall selling Venison burgers, Pulled Pork something or other and beef burgers plus other stuff over a large BBQ type charcoal fire, and looked good fare so we got in the queue and wished we hadn't bothered. The beef burgers turned out to be processed and as bland as the serviette they came in, but we had good craic with a couple we shared a table with while we listened to a very 'bassy' band.

Then it started to rain so back to Landrover to get mates coat and then to Country Covers where I picked up my smock and mate tried on another one and ordered one in his size plus some over trousers on which he is having cargo pockets added and then bumped into another pair of syndicate members so back to NGO tent for another brew while we had the craic. Then the sun came out again!

Talked to a stall holder who assured me that Harkilla have cured the problem they had with leaking boots; his wife saying they had only one pair returned in the last year, and it wasn't for a leak, and another who assured me Le Chameau have sorted the issue of splitting leather across the instep on their boots; we'll see. Hope so on both counts.

Found an absolutely fabulous leather boot and shoe stall which sold amongst others, Trickers, and asked how they made a living as their products never seemed to wear out, but he just told me quality sells. Fair enough. There was, amongst others, a beautiful pair of a deep but almost glazed ox blood red shoes which they had commissioned from Trickers, whom had made 60 pairs. Gorgeous gorgeous shoes; and they needed to be for £460 a pair. I love leather boots and shoes. Nice to see some real English craftsmanship at work.

Bought a new baseball cap from Deerhunter, a couple of cheapo shirts and some camo Duck tape and that was it.

Enjoyed the day, but can't help feeling the show is going to struggle if gun dealers don't think it's worth the journey. Shame really; I thought it was turning a corner. There weren't even that many jodhpur clad ladies. :no:

I'll still return next year though; you've got to support your local.

Edited by Scully

Good to read your view of the show Scully, I will be there tomorrow, thought i would wait the extra day to let the ground dry out after Friday's weather.

How was it underfoot, welly boots needed or just normal walking shoes?

Shame that there are no gun dealers, but given that my client has not paid the last invoice yet at least I will not feel bad at missing out on buying a nice sxs should I see one.

I am going to treat it as a day out with the missus and the dogs and a chance to browse and see if something catches my eye.

Cheers GC. Very good underfoot considering the downpour on Friday;[ normal walking shoes will be fine unless it chucks it down again tonight. Even the drive in and out was firm (ish).

Still an enjoyable browse about and a pleasant enough way to spend a chilled out day. Hope you have a good one.