Grand vitara petrol

wildfowler.250

Wondering if anyone on here had one or experience with them? I've decided to go down the 4x4 route and it's realistically a much better soze than the jumny. How is it for space? I don't mind taking the back seats out to fit dogs ect.

Off road ability,(ie basically just lamping).

Motorways handling?

General MPG?

Doing a search as well but thought I'd ask :good:

Cheers!

Had 2 just upgraded to an 03 plate can fault them .

Has one back seat taken out and a roof conversion for lamping.

Space isnt great (its a swb) but gets 2 of us in and all the gear for pigeon shooting.

Get decent tyres on and they go most places.

Ground clearance aint the best but you could always fit a spacer kit if you really want to!

mpg is ave if you gotta worry about fuel then a 4wd aint a good idea they are all thirsty compared to cars

Have to say this one is the dogs danglies now for lamping from tho.

No worries mate
All in all its a great little motor for lamping (once converted)
To be honest we have never had problems with 'normal' conditions with ground clearance.
Its purely a shooting wagon adapted just for lamping really although used on the road daily.
We fitted Insa ranger tyres which do the job and are quiet on tarmac, go too aggressive the mpg drops and the on road noise is awful!
If your close to Huntingdon you couuld have a shufti sometime

I had the 1.6 petrol 3 door for a couple of years,never missed a beat,went anywhere I needed it to with no problems,now I have a 5 door,2ltr petrol,it does the same as the 3 door did,im running it on insa dakars which are an aggressive pattern,i get 30mpg and drops to around 28 around the doors,will have another when this one goes or dies,great cars,and never had any issues with ground clearance and I go over some dodgy ground sometimes,hope that has helped mate

Bullet1747 had one last time I heard, I have friends who use one off road, and I have an older Vitara that I use offroad - even took it in some spectacularly bad places and made it through fine, and even realised after I was in 2WD as hadn't put the manual locking hubs to lock haha.

Good cars.

Cheers for the replies! Very tempted with one at the moment. Probably take the back seats out and would do the job.

Been running around in a renault Clio for years. Has done great for 9 out of 10 things. Just a bit twitchy in snow and not nice on stubble. Really hard to change from 61mpg though!

Review say the 1.6 vitara is 14.4 (s) from 0-60 though, slightly depressing!

Don't worry about speed, the last thing you need is a high speed crash with a load of decoying gear in the back.They are great motors mate and come into their own off road,but you need some decent tyres.Oh and if you paint it the right colour,you can easily make it disappear lol

post-30855-0-33708200-1438536102_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-47828000-1438536136_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-61406400-1438536475_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-34594100-1438536484_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-53977100-1438536586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Don't worry about speed, the last thing you need is a high speed crash with a load of decoying gear in the back.They are great motors mate and come into their own off road,but you need some decent tyres.Oh and if you paint it the right colour,you can easily make it disappear lol

Cheers for that. And you can hardly see that car!

Had the 2.0hdi model for 3yrs now & cant fault it. My mate has the 2.0 petrol & reckons its awful on fuel

Thanks! I'm thinking the 1.6 vitara but there's also a 2 litre xtr rav 4 that might be a bit better for running around and would probably do for snow and lamping.

There will be a real treat for you real off roaders in 5 or so years time when the third generation of the 2nd hand Vitara comes available. My brand spanking new Vitara returns 72 to the gallon, handles like a dream off or on road, I have a feeling this truck could be a keeper. from Auntie.

I've got the three door 2.4 petrol model 2013, the only issue I have, its the one without the spare wheel on the back and comes with a foam compressor kit to get out of trouble should you get a puncture. This means a new tyre each time ( I think) so have got a separate compressor ( without foam) for slow punctures.

Earlier and later models reverted back to rear mounted spare wheel after some negative owner reviews.

Sufficient room in the back for all shooting gear with rear seats folded forward.

Great off-road, good on road.

Tried the 1.6 petrol, found it a bit underpowered on road, but if just a shooting vehicle cannot see any problems. Decided on the 2.4 as it's my only car and has to serve both purposes. If only for shooting would definitely go for Jimny.