rangey

thanks for all the info guys,good job tickets gona be a few weeks as ive got a lot of things to think about now,ie reloading and rebarreling.new,s/h.but looking forward to getting sorted either way.i was always going to get a 22.250 but was advised by feo to put in for 223 for first c/f.12 months later got the 223 opened up and put in for an additional 22.250 and got it...happy days

The idiocy and training of these guys never fails to amaze me :rolleyes: I wonder how he might justify the .223 being safer for the public at large by any practical margin?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,made my mind up and ordered a new howa,24" heavy stainless barrel.just need to find a suitable mod to go with it now....

What twist ? is it the normal 1-14 ? thats assuming you didnt change your mind and get a 204 or a 243 or a 308 or a 6.5x55 or a 22 hornet. :lol:

What scope ?

We need a look when you've got it. :good:

Hi dougy

stuck to the 22.250 with 1-14 twist.i will be putting my burris 4 x of my 223 on it till I can afford another scope.then put my x-sight on the 223..any thoughts on a mod to go on it..im assuming with the heavy 24" barrel its gona be quite a heavy outfit.so thinking of a lightish mod.....

Hi dougy

stuck to the 22.250 with 1-14 twist.i will be putting my burris 4 x of my 223 on it till I can afford another scope.then put my x-sight on the 223..any thoughts on a mod to go on it..im assuming with the heavy 24" barrel its gona be quite a heavy outfit.so thinking of a lightish mod.....

Take a look at the Phantom moderator, available from Sportsman Guncentre. Retails at around £130. I have one on my .22 Hornet, even though it's proofed for .22-250. My mate tried it on his 22-250 and it worked well. It's very light in weight and not bulky.

There are better moderators out there, I admit, but for the price, the Phantom is good value for money.

Heavy barrel! You target shooting?

Big bloke are ya?

Nowt wrong with evy barrels. I have 2 rifles that are over a stone :yes: I just love shooting them :) , but I dont like walking around with them :no: I have lighter gear for my walking sessions.

I bet your front stuffers are a tad on the heavy side aren't they ?

certainly am,cant think of anything better than throwing heavy weights around....

Super.

Nowt wrong with evy barrels. I have 2 rifles that are over a stone :yes: I just love shooting them :) , but I dont like walking around with them :no: I have lighter gear for my walking sessions.

I bet your front stuffers are a tad on the heavy side aren't they ?

Think the heaviest is half a stone.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got my ticket back today.so promptly popped to the gun shop to pick up my howa 22.250.also got a good deal on a atec mod so came away with that aswell.thought id better buy a selection of different ammo to try aswell.ended up with ppu55gn,hornady 55gn,varmint x 55gn and hornady superformance 55gn,only managed to break the barrel in with ppu but ended up with two 3 shot groups of 1/2 inch at 100yds so well happy with that.cant see any of the other ammo grouping much better than that.but will give it a go tomorrow...havnt tried the mod yet as couldn't be ***** to keep taking it of to clean the barrel

yep its heavy,but im shooting it not swinging it round my head,so weight is not a problem,hardly anymore recoil than my 223 sporter.im trying it with the mod on today wich is at least 1/2 the weight and size of the wildcat pred on the 223.so far im really liking this round...lets see if the foxs like it as much as me.

good choice of caliber.

ive had mine 7years and never looked back i originally had .223 in tikka t3 varmint but swapped for .22-250 t3 stainless laminate.

as for ammo it would group 1" at best with factory half that with reloads. im currently using 50grain noslers but were previuosly shooting fox with 55grn vmax. the vmax were very good and very rarely came out they turned internals to mush...now the 50 grain nosler varminter has a solid back end and ive noticed a bit more damageexit holes you could get ya fist in.

the .22-250 round is perfect if the shot placement isnt quite bang on it pritty much mullers what it hits and drops them on the spot.

now i only use varmint rounds on live quarry .....i do shoot match ammo but i would not use it on quarry i know some do.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a howa 1500 in 22-250 It loves 50gr hornady superformance . Shoots 55gr federals nice aswell

Cheers rob

mine wont group at all with the superformance but shoots norma 50gr ,hornady 55gr and Winchester varmint x ...norma groups the best at 1/2 inch

That is not really true as I have had many Remingtons over the last 5 years that are `new ones` and shoot just fine BUT......

Since Edgar Brothers lost them to SMK a couple of years back, I have had nothing to do with them and the brand is dead to me in terms of new guns.on

oh yes...hmmm...SMK......"never heard of a 1/2 x 20 UNF".............riiiiiight.....................

As Fister said they've ruined the fluidity of the Remington brand here.