Urgent advice needed.

mike69

Hi pw

i really need so advice

i had a phone call last night about clearing some rabbits up because there causing real damage the thing is its on a property that is close to houses

in other words its in a garden but its for someone that's famous who is renting the house off the owner and the owner wants the rabbits gone

the house is set in 33 acres what is everyone's opinion on snares (free running)

any advice would be grateful

ATB mike

Basically, it's your call. You judge it by how close other houses are (for noise), also the people living in the house at present. Air rifle or (if you've got) 22LR with moderator and subsonics, assuming you can get into a shooting position with a good backstop, those would be my first impressions.

just a thought, if the owner is renting the house, then will some sort of permission have to be agreed with the person who is renting the property?

Its okay saying the owner wants them gone, what if the occupier doesn't want to be seen in the media as allowing the killing of fluffy bunnies, as you know how the media likes to spin a tale on things like this

Edited by NickP

Thank for all your info

Do I need to tell the police even if I use a air rifle

Technically, no ........... however if a member of the public reports seeing "a man wiv a weapon" you may be accosted by the men in black, so it's advisable to log in with your local police station.

Technically, no ........... however if a member of the public reports seeing "a man wiv a weapon" you may be accosted by the men in black, so it's advisable to log in with your local police station.

Why? They'll send officers out anyway if they get that call, regardless of if you've phoned ahead or not

The problem I see is the owner has rented the property, which include the garden, therefore unless the tenant has given permission for you to be on the land you have no right to be there, the owner has given them the property due to the tenancy agreement, unless there is a clause within the agreement that the landlord (owner) has this right to carry out pest control, normally you would have to supply 24 hours notice prior to visiting

It is an offence to 'harbour rabbits.' If the occupier of the land (the tenant) does not deal with the rabbits, they (the tenant) are in breach of the law. The landlord can politely point this out and you can offer your services for free.

The landlord or their agents, can usually access a property if 24 hours notice is given.

Have a polite word with the tenant, explain what you are doing. If you are worried about what to do control method wise, take an experienced friend along. You will certainly get an offer of help on here I am sure.