What Chamber size?

Bob21

Evening all....

I'm a new member to the forum (although I have been browsing the site for a good few months!) so please excuse me if this isn't the correct area to post my question.

Got into clay shooting with a good friend of mine. He's dad owns a farm so he has a 12g OU for pest control more than anything. I think it's a Miroku but not sure what model.

I'm after getting my first shotgun...I want to use it for clay and also pest control- what chamber size should I go for?

Sorry if this is answered/explained elsewhere....I have used the search function but not had much luck finding an article which may answer my question.

One thing to consider is: are you going to be using steel shot?

In days of old, most shotguns were chambered for 2 1/2'', then people wanted to use heavier loads so 2 3/4 became the prevalent chamber length. Then there were always a few who needed a 3'' magnum. Now it seems the longer chambers are favoured for steel shot. Remember, though, it cannot be seen that excessively long chambers do anything for the pattern with shorter cases.

Perhaps the shooters of the previous century could approach that last few yards to make a clean kill for the pot. One certainly does not need heavy loads for skeet. So horses for courses and one gun may not fit all situations. 2 3/4 is good enough for me, but my old 2 1/2 chambered gun works perfectly adequately for most situations.

Hi Oliver....

To be honest I hadn't gave too much of a consideration on what type of shot I would be shooting!

Ive a pdf my friend recommended that I've to read....will it explain the differences in steel to led shot there..... Sorry!

3" and steel proof is all any one really needs. To be fair 2 3/4 and standard proof will do everything you will need it to unless wildfowling and then you'll want a different gun anyway so don't lay awake worrying about it. Whatever u do make sure the gun fits as that's far more important.

I'd only go up to a 3 inch if your going wildfowling.

3 inch chambered guns tend to be heavier and not as agile for Game. Pigeon, pest or Clay shooting

Where are you based ?

If your Close to Kettering your more than welcome to come along next time i'm testing some to try a few different chambered guns

Bosher

ps Welcome to the forum

I'd only go up to a 3 inch if your going wildfowling.

3 inch chambered guns tend to be heavier and not as agile for Game. Pigeon, pest or Clay shooting

Where are you based ?

If your Close to Kettering your more than welcome to come along next time i'm testing some to try a few different chambered guns

Bosher

ps Welcome to the forum

Like he says, My mate has shot foxes almost every Sunday with hounds for the last 60 yrs with an old 2 1/2" chambered gun -it worked I guess but its hard to feed now. 2 3/4" lead In suitable lead sizes for everything from fox to clay and everything in-between is easy available by the single box of 25 0r by the 1000

Evening all....

I'm a new member to the forum (although I have been browsing the site for a good few months!) so please excuse me if this isn't the correct area to post my question.

Got into clay shooting with a good friend of mine. He's dad owns a farm so he has a 12g OU for pest control more than anything. I think it's a Miroku but not sure what model.

I'm after getting my first shotgun...I want to use it for clay and also pest control- what chamber size should I go for?

Sorry if this is answered/explained elsewhere....I have used the search function but not had much luck finding an article which may answer my question.

Go for 3 inch chambers and steel shot proofed which most modern o/u tend to be now a days anyway and that will a cover almost all uses for clays, game, pests, vermin, foxes and wildfowling.

At the risk of starting a huge thread between Barettarites, Browiningites and Morukoites, I would go for a Miroku they are excellent quality and great value for money and they manufacture all of Brownings shotguns apart from the high end custom ones that are built in Hertsall in Belgium.

Go for 3 inch chambers and steel shot proofed which most modern o/u tend to be now a days anyway and that will a cover almost all uses for clays, game, pests, vermin, foxes and wildfowling.

At the risk of starting a huge thread between Barettarites, Browiningites and Morukoites, I would go for a Miroku they are excellent quality and great value for money and they manufacture all of Brownings shotguns apart from the high end custom ones that are built in Hertsall in Belgium.

Evening all....thanks for the help/heads up on what to go for....I guess my next step is to go down to the local dealers and see how I get on!!

When do go to a good gun shop ask them to help you with the fit of the gun in terms of its length of pull and try a few to see how they come up to your shoulder and make sure when it does your eye is looking along the top rib. Also get them to check which is your dominant eye, before deciding what to buy.

Does using a steel 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber damage the end of the chamber where it steps in to the bore? I only ask as previously mentioned that the miss match in chamber length and cartridge length leads to poor patterning I guess caused by the shot clipping the chamber end, not too drastic with lead but how about hard steel?