Puppy problem

snow white

Hi I have 13 month old puppy s/s and the mom do some basic training like sitting and staying retrieving to hand.the problem is I took her out yesterday on the pigeons all she wanted to do was run round and play when setting up didn't mind that thought get some excitement out of her got back in hide all she did was curl up and didn't take any interest in what was happening. Help required please. Thank you for time

Better that than tearing through the hide at every shot.

Hi I have 13 month old puppy s/s and the mom do some basic training like sitting and staying retrieving to hand.the problem is I took her out yesterday on the pigeons all she wanted to do was run round and play when setting up didn't mind that thought get some excitement out of her got back in hide all she did was curl up and didn't take any interest in what was happening. Help required please. Thank you for time

To me it sounds like you could be on the way to ruining the dog.

Well yes, I see your point but you could have said that, you rotter :P

But only if he actually expected it to retrieve pigeons which could have been done as e.w says if necessary if pup hadn't had a lovely play and worn herself out :)

Edited by bigbird

But only if he actually expected it to retrieve pigeons which could have been done as e.w says if necessary if pup hadn't had a lovely play and worn herself out :)

I did perhaps sound harsh, but I would expect a potential gundog to be more than excited when taken shooting. As you have said, there is plenty of time with such a young dog.

I would ask if the dog had been introduced carefully to gunfire.

I think what motty is trying to say is that if the pup was trained to the shot correctly she would be very eager to make a retrieve .

Has the dog had any training with gunshot so she knows that it could mean a retrieve .

If your training has not included this it could just be that the dog has not linked the fact things can get exciting when you are shooting.

Spaniels must have changed since I last owned one ,worn out at 13 moths old !!!!

She as been trained with shotgun to reteive dummy like I said she just curld up.no sunner I put gun away she was up and running found like a mad springer again her mother is fantastic worker and she loves it in the hide not like mother like daughter must be on farthers side.

Assumptions, assumptions what a perfect little world we live in. Give the man some credit considering none have Seen this dog, I'm sure all will be just fine.

To be honest he has asked for help , without giving much detail , therefore people are going to have to make some assumptions.

If this is her first trip out in the hide then she won't taje any interest. As far as she is concerned she's sat in a field behind a sheet and that's where you want her so she's accepted it.

As already said better that than tearing holes in your hide. I have a springer bitch that literally falls asleep in the pigeon hide. She just waits for me to wake her and put her to task.

Having said this she's a very different dog to hunt with, stand on a peg or behind the guns so don't take her attitude in the hide as a sign that she's not going to make the cut.

Edited by lee-kinsman

And? The dog settled in the hide, what were you expecting on a first trip? I should say that's a score. Keep at it go easy take small steps. they soon learn what their job is just better they don't think they know it all from the get go IMO

I'm with this

Steady on first outing sleep till you need to pick up a few

Got to be better than a loon getting over exited

As Kent says

Nice and steady and small easy achievable steps

I'm sure she will be fine for the job

All the best

Of