Voice Control Clarification

DoctorG

Can someone explain the principles behind the voice activated control devices used in sporting clay?

- I could wait till my next taster session (I'm very new to this) but thought I'd ask here rather than waiting...and rather than looking like a complete berk :)

So, you plug in the device, with several buttons.

I presume that you press one button for a single clay when you call, another for two, another for two on report and another for two simultaneously?

Well, there are multiple traps at each station and I'm wondering, if I send a clay in order to see its flight path, does that count as 1 of my 50 clays that I've asked/paid for?

If I shoot five stations and call for two birds at each just to see where they are coming from, that's ten clays I haven't shot at, leaving me 40 to shoot.

Or...bear with me...is this factored in as a recognised 'loss' by the gun club?

If so, I could theoretically use up loads of clays that I'm not shooting at.

Ooooooor.....I said I was new......does the control unit simply record how many clays you call and then you pay for whatever that number is back at the club house?

There you go, my first, and probably to most people 'daftest' post.

Thanks in anticipation,

G

Hi G,

I'm afraid there is not a simple answer to your question.

I have never used an audio release trap controller before, but have used plenty of normal button push ones.

Depending on the setup the controllers can be dead simple and have 1 button, but most will have 3 to control two traps. So you can fire each trap on its own or a simultaneous pair.

If you have a more complex controller that controls multiple traps then you normally have the choice to push buttons in the appropriate sequence to give you the firing order that you want. If the controller has an audio switch then it could do an 'on report' pair as well as a simo pair. With the on report function the controller fires the trap on the bang of the gun.

You will also be able to program in a delay if you are there by yourself.

As for the number of clays, some grounds you buy a number of clays up front and then consume that number as you use them, this may well include a few extra to allow for broken clays, but i'm afraid whether you choose to shoot at the clay or not you still pay for it.

Other grounds the controller is simply a counter so if you push the button 53 times that is what you pay. In this case most grounds have an honesty policy where you can tell the person that you had say 5 no birds and they will discount that from the total.

If you post what ground you will be shooting at it is fairly likely someone here will have shot there and be able to tell you exactly how it works.

There are also no stupid questions, if you don't know then you don't know so ask away :)

Edited by grrclark

Brill, cheers for that info.

I'm shooting at Treetops, Newport.

Now, thinking aloud, I assumed the controller was audio activated because the instructor said 'call again' a few times and I assumed that I was just too quiet. However, maaaaaybe, he said that because the trap didn't release?

Hmmmmmmm.

Aaaaaah.

What a plonker!

So if you are shooting alone you press button(s) and the delay gives you time you remount/hold the gun.

Ok......just picturing me mounting the controller to my shoulder and leaving the gun on the floor :)

Brill, cheers for that info.

I'm shooting at Treetops, Newport.

Now, thinking aloud, I assumed the controller was audio activated because the instructor said 'call again' a few times and I assumed that I was just too quiet. However, maaaaaybe, he said that because the trap didn't release?

Hmmmmmmm.

Aaaaaah.

What a plonker!

So if you are shooting alone you press button(s) and the delay gives you time you remount/hold the gun.

Ok......just picturing me mounting the controller to my shoulder and leaving the gun on the floor :)

Most likely the instructor was pushing the button and it was a no bird, hence call again.

Not a plonker at all, you don't know how it works until you learn. You do get some voice activated traps, most commonly on disciplines like Down The Line (DTL) or Olympic Trap (OT).

Once you do it for a while you will pick up the various bits of jargon used and what the different disciplines are and if you're not sure just keep asking here, it is a friendly forum and the majority will be happy to help.

As Robbie said the delay of 3 secs is surprisingly long and after doing it 20 or 30 times it becomes noticeably longer on your arm muscles!!!

If i go to somewere new and they are charging a lot per clay, say 30 pence, i just press the button, see the clay and put it down as a no bird or broken clay. Or if me and the wife shoot, we take turns at going first so we can help each other to see were the clays is coming from.

Edited by johnphilip

I shoot treetops now and again. The traps are not voice activated it's the instructor pushing the buttons. He's asked you to call again due to either no target being thrown or a broken clay being released. You'll find this happens a lot there as thy can be quite lax in keeping the traps working/full. They usually allow 20% between what's on the counter and what you pay for allowing you to 'see' two clays at each stand. But be warned anything over this and one of the guys can become quite argumentative so don't keep pressing the button if no target is thrown as these will rack up on the box/counter even though no target has been presented. Best to ring the clubhouse or move to the next stand if that should happen. As far as the box goes it's a 'claymate' system. This can be used either with a partner who presses 'A' and 'B' buttons to release the target on report of the gun or the 'Simo' button to release a simultaneous pair. You can also set the box with a delay so that you can shoot alone. Press 'A' or 'B' and a target will be released following a 3 second delay. Press 'A' followed by 'B' then the targets will be thrown as an 'on report' pair. Press simo and get a simo pair on delay. Hope this helps. Same system used up at South Wales 2000 in Blackwood.

Edited by Trevorevans

I shoot treetops now and again. The traps are not voice activated it's the instructor pushing the buttons. He's asked you to call again due to either no target being thrown or a broken clay being released. You'll find this happens a lot there as thy can be quite lax in keeping the traps working/full. They usually allow 20% between what's on the counter and what you pay for allowing you to 'see' two clays at each stand. But be warned anything over this and one of the guys can become quite argumentative so don't keep pressing the button if no target is thrown as these will rack up on the box/counter even though no target has been presented. Best to ring the clubhouse or move to the next stand if that should happen. As far as the box goes it's a 'claymate' system. This can be used either with a partner who presses 'A' and 'B' buttons to release the target on report of the gun or the 'Simo' button to release a simultaneous pair. You can also set the box with a delay so that you can shoot alone. Press 'A' or 'B' and a target will be released following a 3 second delay. Press 'A' followed by 'B' then the targets will be thrown as an 'on report' pair. Press simo and get a simo pair on delay. Hope this helps. Same system used up at South Wales 2000 in Blackwood.

+1. I shoot at treetops all the time and it is fairly cheap as well, but you're right about the traps not being kept in tip top condition.

I've never had a problem, just I note down which birds on which stands didn't work, and let him know when I get back, Andrew's usually appreciative that i've let him know and goes to fix them straight away.

Highlodge in Suffolk have the Claymate system I think, plug in your counter and either press instant (if someone's hitting the button for you) or delay (then press the button yourself)

Easy to use on your own but spoils the rhythm for me on DTL and sometimes sporting. I usually drag a mate along and let them have a few shots as well. Works well, 2 have since bought guns and shoot as well!!!