Could we be in for a long drawn out harvest ?

marsh man

With the rain we had Friday , Saturday and again today could we be in for a long harvest ?

Last year by now all the winter barley was safely in the grain store and they were going to make a start on the wheat down the marsh before the end of July , which is in a few days time ,

Up to now a fair bit of barley is cut but there is still a lot to be combined and the forecast is not that good for the next few days , although things should get better from the middle of the week, today coming back from Norwich it was raining and the temperature was 13 degrees , we made a little detour to have a look at a stubble field and low and behold I did see a nice lot of pigeons eating the left over grain which might have soften up with all this wet weather , so for the time being it might be in our favour .

At the moment it isn't to much of a problem but the longer the rain and damp weather go on for the more of a worry it will become .

Was hoping to start the barley last Wednesday on my patch but will need some warm breezy weather to dry it now for a couple of days, unfortunately it will mean late night combining and that's bad news for the pheasant chicks, which by all accounts are recovering from the bad season of a couple of years ago.

my mate got all his hay done... winter barley, in 36hrs all 14-15% moisture..... the spring barley is still not ready and the wheat ...the stems are still green.....as i said in my other post ...its seems and upside down year......the rape has even been started here.......

.....the barley that has been cut ...the stubble has all been lightly cultivated...then the rain came ..so im keeping an eye out to see what comes up in the next few days....

Last year was an excepyionally early season , this year is more normal. It simply means that we are under more pressure to gt it cut and get next years rape in the ground , it was in by the 1st August last year !

mate last year got the rape sown early........then it rained and capped the soil..........then had to re-drill !!......it happened a lot round here....he had to re-drill as he had a premium price with McDonalds..........first time grown, as a lot of boys have given up sugar beet as they have seen the price drop from £30/tonne down to the low £20's...

We'd normally be done harvesting bulbs by now, we were nearly 3 weeks late starting and we've been at it 4 weeks, i expect to go on for another 2! The rain friday night called it off saturday and today, and that is on light land that drains nicely! I hope to be going tomorrow but this bit of rain might put us back another day

My farmer friend is concerned with the rape at the moment . The weather has been awful and it looks like rain for most of next week . They have managed to harvest about 600 acres of barley but lots left to do without the rape and the wheat . He has a massive grain drier but is reluctant to use it at this time in the harvest cycle ,it is expensive to run . He will only use it as a last resort .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I would have thought this wet and changeable weather is not only a concerne for the farmers, it must be a bit worrying for our gamekeeper friends with the cold and wet nights and lack of insect life , so lets hope things improve for everyone who rely on decent weather this time of the year .