Pedigree.

spinach

When buying a dog and the trainer or breeder sends the pedigree does it mean anything?

How do you check?

Could I throw some names at anyone?

He very well could be a member here so I don't wanto insult I'm just trying to find out?

Regards John.

Wot do u men does it mean anything?

All it is is a list of parents and grand sires etc. To some very knowledegable people it will mean a lot, but too most off us doesnae really mean that much. Really depends wot ur looking for, possibky more important for FT competion dogs but less important for working dogs as long as parents are both good workers

Just the same as informed punters/tipsters or race hosre breeders can look at the lines of a race horse before placing a bet.

But it is important if dog is a good 1 and u ever deceide to breed from it so u can choose a suitable stud/dam for the mating without breeding to close

U should be able to search the KC website putting in the KC names. But there is no guarantee the pedigree is 100% correct, 1 sire could be listed when a different 1 was used or if a bitch has already had her limit of litters, quite rare thou

I'd maybe call the sire's owner and just check he's done the busienss and that the health test results do actually hold true. You have to be slightly untrusting in this world these days to protect your own interests.....

What are the names that you want to throw at people? Am not bad with labs, but spaniels and owt else not my gig

M

If you have concerns the normal answer is buyer beware, if in doubt walk away as there some sharks out there.

Any breeder though should be totally willing to show you there own dogs paperwork. If the dog is KC registered they will have a ownership registration certificate from the Kennel Club. They should also have a registration certificate for the litter, their will be paperwork for each pup in the litter with this document. If the breeder has an affix (eg Drakeshead, Mallowdale etc etc) they should have a KC certificate for this as well. I can't see any honest person not willing to put you in touch with the owner of the sire. The owner of the sire will have the same paperwork for their dog & should also have notification from the Kennel Club confirming that the dog has sired a litter. Not everybody that breeds buys pedigree certificates from the KC, many print their own. You can check that a pedigree is correct by logging on to myKC. You can also check some but not all health test results on myKC.

Edited by PERCE