Yildiz

hoggysreels

I've been thing about buying a Yildiz shotgun .. not sure which one though.

One minute l'm convinced its a 20 bore 0U then l think l'd be better off with sbs .410 .. and to throw into the mix, l get the odd hankering for a .410 hushpower. Presently the urge is biased towards the 0U 20 bore ... whats you're take on Yeldiz shotguns in general?

I own an uo .410 and love it, mate of mine has a 20g abd again i think its a great little gun.. You wont be disappointed if you buy a yildiz.

+1.

Mine is a 28 gauge O/U and I'd definitely buy a 28ga over a .410.

My next shotgun will be a .410 SxS by - you guessed it - Yildiz.

Excellent little guns - you won't be disappointed.

28 bore is an interesting option!

The logic behind the .410 sbs is that l like .410 calibre and sbs shotguns in general. That said; l also like the option of using steel cartridges and l like multichokes (hence the 20 bore logic) .. l wouldn't be to please having decided on a .410 to find a total lead ban coming into force. I believe its possible to get 3" steel .410 cartridges but they're not ideal ..

Regards 28 bore, l know little about ... suspect cartridge selection is greatly reduced all the more so when including steel. And l'm unsure if there is a multichoke option ... which puts me back into the unsure camp. 0f which the 20 bore multichoke appears to be satisfying the majority of my wants ... more research is needed me thinks ..

I suppose it depends on what you plan to use it for,you haven't said.

I've got both, an O/U and a SxS in 20g. I find them great to shoot, very easy on the shoulder, especially with 21grm loads. I find there's not that much difference in knock-down power compared to a 12g although there are obvious limitations. A 28g is even more expensive to run and there is a very limited choice in ammo.

28 bore is an interesting option!

And l'm unsure if there is a multichoke option ...

There is - I believe both the O/U and SxS options from Yildiz are multi-choked.

A 28g is even more expensive to run and there is a very limited choice in ammo.

I've never personally found the choice to be limited, except perhaps that the selection tends to be on the "heavy" side for the 28 ga. I grant one shop may hold more stock than another.

General availability aside, the difference between factory 28 gauge loads and .410 is that the .410 loads tend to be more on the side of idiotic (i.e. the Eley 12½g load of #5's where the pattern basically fails as it leaves the muzzle - there just aren't enough pellets) whilst the 28 gauge loads are limited in number but broadly sensible - 21g of #6 from the same company is a good 40 yard load through a tightish choke.

If you can find a cartridge which doesn't follow the "I'm going to try and make my .410 [or 28ga] shoot like my 12 gauge" school of thought (i.e. 14g of #8 or #7, rather than 19g of #5) then you're probably onto a winner. Likewise, a similar, sensible load for the 28 gauge (21g of #7 / #6, for example) which doesn't try to stuff a 12 gauge load down a tube far too small for it (I've seen 28g of #3 from Winchester in the past!) will do you very well.

The small gauges are the most rewarding to shoot in my book. I've considered a 20ga because of the steel argument in the past (and I'd probably buy one to "complete the set" if money were no object) but you can put bismuth / other non-tox down a small gauge if you have to use it for fowling (or take a 12ga) and the 28ga/.410 are different enough from a 12 to keep things properly challenging / interesting.

Edited by neutron619

I traded in a revo 28g for a yildiz o/u 28g fantastic little gun been out twice this week flighting pigeons got 12 with it but the sheer fun I get using the little gun is brilliant.most other things I use 20g but odd occasions 12g.