FEO visit today and FAC requirement to get my licence?

hello, just thought you might be interested as above, i put in for my FAC/SG licence. have had shotguns before and a previous licence so this was going to be okay but getting a FAC and using a .22 L/R and only used air rifles they wish to see i am competent to use a one so i have to find a registered FAC person and go out with them a few times shooting so they can see i can use a LR rifle for hunting in a proper manner? and write a letter stating to that and this goes towards my application. but i dont know anyone with a .22 LR so i am at a loss to go from here unless there is a kind member local to abingdon who can help. cheers

You shouldn't need to be mentored for 22LR. I'd suggest you contact BASC if you are a member (or other shooting association, if a member). If not a member, then I'd suggest writing to the head of firearms licencing, and complaining that this is ridiculous.

Yep - contact BASC - this is a stupid and arbitrary requirement which has no basis in law.

Furthermore, I believe the Firearms & Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG) have issued guidance to chief officers against the use of mentoring conditions on FACs, which means that your licensing department are going against the current guidance and are obliged to write to CC Andy Marsh (head of the FELWG) to explain why they aren't following best practice.

Wave that under their noses and you may get some movement on this.

This is not needed as others have said. If you have used air rifles and shotguns previously you should be well versed in safety. Even an air rifle needs consideration with regards back stops. Contact your shooting organisation.

I'm in Rochester if you need someone to pop out with if they insist. But technically you are not allowed to use my rifle so how this system is supposed to work is anybodies guess

hello, thanks for replies, i thought it was a bit OTT as i have been shooting over 50 years but not with a LR, i got the impression he did not want me to have the permits as would not do shotty without the FAC mentor and issue both together and he was asking if i had convictions (1 parking ticket) and doc report details when it was all there on application, my cabinets x 2 were ok in a cupboard (locked) but advised on a key safe for the ammo/bolt box key. but i live in a 1 bed flat of 4 own door (2 locks) with a main entrance door so its not likely to get a problem. i feel as not to rock the boat and do with whats been mentioned but find someone to help me out asap. thanks and appreciate your replies

As someone who's getting more and more into field sports at the moment (and hopefully will be applying for my FAC at somepoint in the not too distant future) I'm a bit worried about all these conditions/inconstent restrictions that sometimes get imposed when applying for an FAC.

They seem to be very arbitrary in their application of the rules and I've read a couple of threads where it sounds like folks are caught between a rock and a hard place!

As someone who's getting more and more into field sports at the moment (and hopefully will be applying for my FAC at somepoint in the not too distant future) I'm a bit worried about all these conditions/inconstent restrictions that sometimes get imposed when applying for an FAC.

They seem to be very arbitrary in their application of the rules and I've read a couple of threads where it sounds like folks are caught between a rock and a hard place! hello, could not have put this better myself but maybe its just the TVP area office and rules so good luck in future with yours.

If you ask them to put it in writing what exactly they require from a mentor they will get stuck as there are no guidelines for them to follow, and would be very surprised if they would answer a request for this very reason.

It's pointless and as said before they should not ask for it.

I have two cabinets like you. One which contains shotguns and rifle bolts and ammunition and one which I keep my rifles in. This is perfectly acceptable

I have a semi auto .22 too which I cannot store the bolt separately.

You are not being awkward by questioning what they have told you, you are simply displaying a better knowledge and understanding of the current guidelines.

My offer still stands if they insist on a mentor. I would enjoy contacting them to see what they said to my enquiries about being a mentor

Edited by belly47

hello, just thought you might be interested as above, i put in for my FAC/SG licence. have had shotguns before and a previous licence so this was going to be okay but getting a FAC and using a .22 L/R and only used air rifles they wish to see i am competent to use a one so i have to find a registered FAC person and go out with them a few times shooting so they can see i can use a LR rifle for hunting in a proper manner? and write a letter stating to that and this goes towards my application. but i dont know anyone with a .22 LR so i am at a loss to go from here unless there is a kind member local to abingdon who can help. cheers

hello, thankyou for you replies and information, i do not feel i have any choice as mentioned before so i shall do as they require and find a mentor and sort out the reference required. now i have gone this far i hope it will come okay. cheers

hello, well at least i know this is not just me!!!!!

I had to do this over 10 years ago so it's not something new, I didn't have a problem with it then nor do I now. How does the CC know that you know what you are doing with a sec 1 firearm. I had no problem using my mate's rifles on my permission for a few weeks to gain the basics.

I had to do this over 10 years ago so it's not something new, I didn't have a problem with it then nor do I now. How does the CC know that you know what you are doing with a sec 1 firearm. I had no problem using my mate's rifles on my permission for a few weeks to gain the basics.

Unless the rifle belongs to the estate technically you should not be using his rifle though, that is the point. Yes loads of people have done this but it's not right and should not be encouraged by the issuing force.

Unless the rifle belongs to the estate technically you should not be using his rifle though, that is the point. Yes loads of people have done this but it's not right and should not be encouraged by the issuing force.

Not strictly true, he can use an occupiers rifle.

I've mentored quite a few people now even a couple off this site and they have used my rifle on their permission, I don't have a problem with it legally.

Not strictly true, he can use an occupiers rifle.

Possibly yes as the term occupier has had no definitive meaning given in court or the firearms act.

It's a very grey area as we all know but my points made earlier still stand. Ask the issuing force for a written description of what they want a mentor to do and I bet you don't get it.

So who would you suggest in the occupier debate is a "servant of the occupier"

Possibly yes as the term occupier has had no definitive meaning given in court or the firearms act.

It's a very grey area as we all know but my points made earlier still stand. Ask the issuing force for a written description of what they want a mentor to do and I bet you don't get it.

So who would you suggest in the occupier debate is a "servant of the occupier"

I would class myself as the occupiers servant hence why I don't have a problem with people using my rifles.