FEO visit today and FAC requirement to get my licence?

Sorry a bit new to this but with mentoring conditions if a member of the public with an FAC 'mentors' somebody and signs a letter stating that an applicant is safe And then 6 months down the line an incident occurs where does the responsibility lie? The police for granting, the FAC holder or the mentor? Would have thought the only one that could mentor is the licensing authority or an affiliate otherwise it's unenforceable or am I missing something?

Why not just get some experience at a club?

Some forces don't recognise club experience as you are in a confined space with a lot of people round you where you shouldn't be able to go wrong.

Sorry a bit new to this but with mentoring conditions if a member of the public with an FAC 'mentors' somebody and signs a letter stating that an applicant is safe And then 6 months down the line an incident occurs where does the responsibility lie? The police for granting, the FAC holder or the mentor? Would have thought the only one that could mentor is the licensing authority or an affiliate otherwise it's unenforceable or am I missing something?

When mentoring someone you are only giving your honest experiences of the person you are mentoring, what they do in the future is out of your control.

Possibly yes as the term occupier has had no definitive meaning given in court or the firearms act.

It's a very grey area as we all know but my points made earlier still stand. Ask the issuing force for a written description of what they want a mentor to do and I bet you don't get it.

So who would you suggest in the occupier debate is a "servant of the occupier"

My view is that the landowner or owner/leaseholder of the shooting rights is the occupier and someone in their employ is a servant.

Interesting to note that the proposed Firearms Act consultation specifically draws attention to your question and the need to specifically define occupier.

Charlie

My view is that the landowner or owner/leaseholder of the shooting rights is the occupier and someone in their employ is a servant.

Interesting to note that the proposed Firearms Act consultation specifically draws attention to your question and the need to specifically define occupier.

Charlie

It will be interesting to see the outcome I agree

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/can-i-remove-a-condition-on-my-firearms-certificate-13524

I don't think any charge could be brought against the signer anyway. It's like the Parish Council recommendation on planning permission: no, power, it is justconsidered.

Just been reading this thread with interest as I am in a very similar position.

Also in TV Police area and have put in for a variation to my FAC.

40+ years shooting experience (shotgun) 2 1/2 years with FAC (17HMR). I asked to have a 243 added as now wish to take up my Deer permission. I have passed my DSC1 and have accompanied a friend on my perm on numerous occasions .

When the FEO phoned me up he asked for an updated permission letter from the landowner specifying Deer (the one attached to my variation was 2 1/2 years old but did include Deer). Easily sorted and sent off.

He also wanted a letter from someone who I had been shooting 243 with to say that I was safe and competent with that caliber.

I have responded to the FEO by telling him that I cannot supply such a letter.

My application is going forward plus (I hope) it will come back as "Open".

Trust they will get a move on and issue my new FAC - shopping therapy to follow

• 4 weeks later...

hello, just thought you might be interested as above, i put in for my FAC/SG licence. have had shotguns before and a previous licence so this was going to be okay but getting a FAC and using a .22 L/R and only used air rifles they wish to see i am competent to use a one so i have to find a registered FAC person and go out with them a few times shooting so they can see i can use a LR rifle for hunting in a proper manner? and write a letter stating to that and this goes towards my application. but i dont know anyone with a .22 LR so i am at a loss to go from here unless there is a kind member local to abingdon who can help. cheers

hello, just an update reference the above, well a kind PW member steve came to my rescue being local kindly offered to be a mentor to get my FAC, now this has been done and with the land check this week my application for FAC and shotty permits has been granted and now it is just a wait until i get them posted. thanks to all concerned and a big thanks to steve. cheers

Without getting specific about this don't we think it's right that questions are asked? I don't wish to be disrespectful to the OP but the holes in his application need to be filled. Only he can do this.

Do we know all the circumstances and facts from the posts above?

I would rather a proper job than the issue of a firearms licence carte blanche.

Anyone who has a parking ticket on their record should be banned for life. Hanging's too good for them... :D

Glad you got sorted, sounds like your FEO was being pretty cautious but by jumping through some easy hoops, you've got what you applied for. Any experience is worth having, regardless of whether the police demand it or not and hopefully you'll meet up again with Steve and expand your knowledge/shooting permissions.

Anyone who has a parking ticket on their record should be banned for life. Hanging's too good for them... :D

Glad you got sorted, sounds like your FEO was being pretty cautious but by jumping through some easy hoops, you've got what you applied for. Any experience is worth having, regardless of whether the police demand it or not and hopefully you'll meet up again with Steve and expand your knowledge/shooting permissions.

thankyou

• 4 weeks later...

hello, just thought you might be interested as above, i put in for my FAC/SG licence. have had shotguns before and a previous licence so this was going to be okay but getting a FAC and using a .22 L/R and only used air rifles they wish to see i am competent to use a one so i have to find a registered FAC person and go out with them a few times shooting so they can see i can use a LR rifle for hunting in a proper manner? and write a letter stating to that and this goes towards my application. but i dont know anyone with a .22 LR so i am at a loss to go from here unless there is a kind member local to abingdon who can help. cheers

hello, just thought to say my FAC and shotty have been approved with thanks to steve the PW member who kindly gave up his time to do the mentoring and the F E O of thames valley fire arms dpt. just waiting for the permits to arrive so i can get to the RFD and buy a .22 LR and 12 guage Auto/ scope/ammo/ carts. etc etc

thanks to reply

thankyou

hello, just thought to say my FAC and shotty have been approved with thanks to steve the PW member who kindly gave up his time to do the mentoring and the F E O of thames valley fire arms dpt. just waiting for the permits to arrive so i can get to the RFD and buy a .22 LR and 12 guage Auto/ scope/ammo/ carts. etc etc

hello, last update as my FAC/SHOTTY permits have now arrived and have booked in :) to the gun shop monday. mods you can bin post cheers