First firearm

hugh hickey

Hugh . As usual there have been a lot of old tosh posted on your very simple question about what gun to buy . Some on here try to make out that they are experts on just about every subject that gets posted . These people can spoil the experience of belonging to a very good forum as this one .

Take a bit of advice from and old country man who has been there and done that many times over and buy yourself a .308 or .270 . You will never look back . Either one of these calibres will give you the confidence to address any deer that you are likely to shoot in Europe including them big Norfolk red stags .

Harnser

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said above loads of biast info,if you want info on a rifle calibre for fox-reds you may be better asking on a deer stalking forum ,not a pigeon decoying forum. Good luck with your choice, to me it sounds like you may need two rifles. I wanted just one rifle for everything but ended up with a 22lr,223,6mmppc, 357mag and two wait for it 308's,one of the 308's will shoot 110g bullets and 210g bullets so quite versitile the 6mmppc will shoot 60g-100g bullets the 223 will shoot 40g-60g bullets and the 22lr will do 40g. So i guess they cover me for everything I should come across in the UK that's not in a zoo.

You really need to be able to convince the FEO that your 1st firearm needs to be a 308 calibre.

There's an awful lot of county's that say that 6.5 is the max cal for fox. Realistically that would be a more feasible calibre of choice.

But it's not up to me to decide.

You really need to be able to convince the FEO that your 1st firearm needs to be a 308 calibre.

There's an awful lot of county's that say that 6.5 is the max cal for fox. Realistically that would be a more feasible calibre of choice.

But it's not up to me to decide.

If you could show you were going to reload for it, you can push a 110gr V-Max or similar out of a .308 at about 3250-3300fps for long-range fox using ordinary powders - H335 (which is hard to work with) or possibly something slightly quicker. It still doesn't make the .308 a dedicated "varmint" gun, but it's definitely a nod in the direction of the ultra-fast, ultra-flat ("foxing") calibres. The foxes don't get up afterwards any more with that than any other CF round.

Much easier to ask for it for deer with a paid stalk and then expect that AOLQ will come back with it.

Edited by neutron619

If you could show you were going to reload for it, you can push a 110gr V-Max or similar out of a .308 at about 3250-3300fps for long-range fox using ordinary powders - H335 (which is hard to work with) or possibly something slightly quicker. It still doesn't make the .308 a dedicated "varmint" gun, but it's definitely a nod in the direction of the ultra-fast, ultra-flat ("foxing") calibres. The foxes don't get up afterwards any more with that than any other CF round.

Much easier to ask for it for deer with a paid stalk and then expect that AOLQ will come back with it.

I used them in mine and with a case brimmed with 4895 was getting 3100 from a short 20" barrel. Trumping 243. 100grain loads in the numbers game(read meaningless).

Not as flat but nowt in it. Even shot a rabbit or two over 400 yds in a wind and I don't shoot at distance well!