Magpie

hoggysreels

Nice way to start the morning - for you, at least !

I'm still larsen-trapping at present. A badger broke into my trap (!) a few weeks ago and killed (and ate) the call bird one night, so I'd had to catch a new one. Judas (Mk. 5) is doing well though, and has helped me account for 6 of his fellows since Friday.

Nice way to start the morning - for you, at least !

I'm still larsen-trapping at present. A badger broke into my trap (!) a few weeks ago and killed (and ate) the call bird one night, so I'd had to catch a new one. Judas (Mk. 5) is doing well though, and has helped me account for 6 of his fellows since Friday.

Well done Rob .. what are you using to despatch the little blighters (air/shotgun etc) .. atb

Get them out of the catch compartment (wearing very thick gloves), and take them round the corner so they are out of sight of the call bird. Then I just stretch the necks.

It's another one that far too many people forget about in terms of the law (getting onto fenboy's pigeon shooting type of subject here).

Birds that you have caught and are going to kill must be dispatched out of sight of other birds that you have caught. That applies whether a ladder or larsen trap.

I'm not sure (and entirely willing to be corrected on it) but I think using a live bird as a decoy to bring others in to be shot is illegal ?

Don't ask me where I've got that from either, as I've no idea at all !

That is quite correct also can not use the recording of bird call to bring birds in to shoot, In France they have to use live birds tied down as decoys as using dead or fake birds as decoys is illegal. Mad as a box of frogs.