Cartridges and the law

flippermaj

You do not need a SGC to be in possession of shotgun shells as they are not controlled. You can keep them under your bed if you want. You only need a SGC to purchase them. However this can sometimes even be done by a non cert holder if they have a written permission from a SGC holder along with their certificate to purchase on behalf of the certificate holder. (Subject to RFD agreeing of course).

I was under the impression that you needed a SGC to purchase cartridges but a non SGC holder can be in possession of cartridges.

This is correct, the friend will be fine to deliver the shells, just like the van driver that delivers them from online suppliers.

The law say you do not need a sgc to to possess or acquire shotgun cartridges.

Not that you'd find many shops that will sell you any with out seeing a certificate.

Edited to more accurately represent the facts

Edited by bluesj

You do not need a SGC to be in possession of shotgun shells as they are not controlled. You can keep them under your bed if you want. You only need a SGC to purchase them. However this can sometimes even be done by a non cert holder if they have a written permission from a SGC holder along with their certificate to purchase on behalf of the certificate holder. (Subject to RFD agreeing of course).

/\ /\ /\ This :yes:

''unless slug''

Law changed? It used to be FAC if less than six projectiles. Might have been six or less, but not so important.

The law hasn't changed but realistically in the UK the only shotgun cartridge that has less than five pieces of shot over 0.36" is solid slug.

I just did a purchase from justcartridges.com and the chap on the phone (very helpful and friendly by the way!) said that you need an SGC to purchase shotgun cartridges but you do not need an SGC to be in possession of them, so I think you're probably ok for your friend to pick them up for you.

Thats actually good to know because now I dont have to be completely anal about checking the boot of the car for a random loose shell before my other half drives it and gets in trouble with the Police if they were to find an escapee!

as previously stated,

you only need an SGC to buy shotgun cartridges (section 2 ammo)

you do not need one to be given or in possession of shotgun ammo.... be aware though that most Police officers are not aware enough of this and may well arrest you either on suspicion of possession of ammo unlawfully or use that possession to have a suspicion that you are in possession of a gun illegally. i.e. then search

I had to explain the law a couple of times when i was a custody Sgt to zealous young officers

also if ammo does not fall into definition then it is an offence.... i.e. solid slug, too few balls or balls too big :-)

Edited by nic

as previously stated,

you only need an SGC to buy shotgun cartridges (section 2 ammo)

you do not need one to be given or in possession of shotgun ammo.... be aware though that most Police officers are not aware enough of this and may well arrest you either on suspicion of possession of ammo unlawfully or use that possession to have a suspicion that you are in possession of a gun illegally. i.e. then search

I had to explain the law a couple of times when i was a custody Sgt to zealous young officers

also if ammo does not fall into definition then it is an offence.... i.e. solid slug, too few balls or balls too big :-)

That's not very good, is it? How can someone be sent out to do a job with only half of the information.>> how can they think that it is illegal to be in possession and get to the point of arresting someone and dragging them in to the station and yet not know that no offence has occurred? This happened to a friend of mine only a couple of years ago. He had gone into a Pub for the after shoot dinner and had left a slab on the back seat of the vehicle. Unbeknown to him they had been a previous disturbance at the pub and the police have been called to deal with it. By the time they got there it was all over and done with and the people has gone away. The offices noted the cartridges in the vehicle and tried to arrest my friend for having and leaving the cartridges in an unsecured place. The officers were really rampant about it and the shoot captain rang the law and made the officers talk to whoever at the station about it. Because they had the attitude that they were right and were going to do what they were going to do. They had to back off and looked a bit stupid over their behaviour. Not very professional was it. If it had happened to me I would have written a letter to the chief constable asking why it was that these officers acted in the way that they did with no knowledge of what they were doing or trying to arrest people who hadn't committed any offence. And there are a lot more financial cuts to be made so there will be even less training available.

That's not very good, is it? How can someone be sent out to do a job with only half of the information.>> how can they think that it is illegal to be in possession and get to the point of arresting someone and dragging them in to the station and yet not know that no offence has occurred?

It`s not considered an essential part of the law for them to learn. Presumably because offences covered by those laws are infrequent enough that the average copper is unlikely to encounter such a situation.

I suppose you can at least look on that as a bright side to their ignorance.

It`s not considered an essential part of the law for them to learn. Presumably because offences covered by those laws are infrequent enough that the average copper is unlikely to encounter such a situation.

I suppose you can at least look on that as a bright side to their ignorance.

If one knew that it was going to happen then it would have been better to plant an empty slab box and a couple of cartridge boxes with the lids closed along with a gun slip on the back seat. This would have given them an arrousal. You can just picture the scene as these young pc's would be rubbing their hands together thinking "we've hit the jackpot here boys. Points make prizes, we are going to apprehend a major criminal here." Only to find out that they were trying to arrest someone for having an empty cardboard box on the back seat. In this incident I think that what got up peoples noses was the fact that the PC's obviously didn't know the law and were hell bent on arresting the bloke rather than calling back to HQ to seek clarification on the matter even though several suited gentleman one of which was a solicitor had advised them that it wasn't an offence. The bloke was carted off and then released at the station. The law then had to bring him back to the pub. He is the sort of bloke who revells in stuff like this and probably sued the police for wrongfull arrest causing him inconvenience, loss of social pleasure and humiliation in front his friends and the general public. Perhaps this might have gotten the PC's the training that they needed to do their job correctly. Edited by fortune