the humble wmr

colin lad

there has been a few threads on here recently about the wmr has got me thinking that i may get one and if it turns out good then may swap it for my hmr as rounds will be same sort of price ideal for longer range rabbit's well longer than my .22lr which is what i use hmr for also it will buck the wind better and has the added bonus of more clout than hmr so would be ok on short range fox,

now to the point of my post, i have .22lr, .17hmr and .222 so when i put variation in what would you give as reason for wanting one,

if i say long range rabbit they may say you got hmr for that if i say i may get rid of hmr they would probably say to put one for one in but i want to keep hold hmr till i see if wmr is somewhere near as accurate as hmr,

if i say close rang fox they may just say you got .222 for that.

???

colin

there has been a few threads on here recently about the wmr has got me thinking that i may get one and if it turns out good then may swap it for my hmr as rounds will be same sort of price ideal for longer range rabbit's well longer than my .22lr which is what i use hmr for also it will buck the wind better and has the added bonus of more clout than hmr so would be ok on short range fox,

now to the point of my post, i have .22lr, .17hmr and .222 so when i put variation in what would you give as reason for wanting one,

if i say long range rabbit they may say you got hmr for that if i say i may get rid of hmr they would probably say to put one for one in but i want to keep hold hmr till i see if wmr is somewhere near as accurate as hmr,

???

Tell them you need a close range rifle for fox, for around the woods next to your pheasant pens

Edited by reggiegun

???

Tell them you need a close range rifle for fox, for around the woods next to your pheasant pens

sounds like a good shout i do shoot fox's in a wood with pens in,

Ask to have the WMR as a dedicated NV rifle?

was thinking of putting .22 rf for dedicated nv then when it comes get a wmr as that is a rf

that would be more than good enough for me if i could find one with that accuracy the hmr would be gone

colin

Colin

I run HMR and WMR and whilst there is an element of crossover I have no plans to get rid of one or the other, I need both, all be it not that often.

My current WMR like 30g Hornady V-Max, my last preferred 40g CCI, such is life.

Accuracy wise I have never got the WMR quite as tight as the HMR but the difference is negligible for the field, especially as the WMR makes a bigger hole. 17g HMR V-Max and 30g WMR V-Max also fly very similarly out to around 100 yards.

As it happens I have 500 of these still factory sealed at a competitive price if anyone is interested. They are 40g.

post-20848-0-17287600-1438155612_thumb.jpg

My last WMR loved them but my latest prefers the Hornady 30g V-Max.

Please PM if interested.

Cheers

Hi Dekers can I ask what did use as reason for needing both hmr and wmr

Colin

To be honest I don't remember, but I have my own Game & Vermin Control company so life is easier.

My main use of the WMR is Canada goose and Fox so probably that was it. I have never seen the WMR as a rabbit gun, although many do, and I have taken plenty of rabbit with it.

I see the HMR as a distance Squirrel, Pigeon, corvid, rabbit gun really, That's not what I use the WMR for.

:good:

My mate used to have a WMR for the rabbits and I had the HMR... used to be fun having both rifles out, we found that the WMR didn't seem any different in terms of field accuracy to the HMR, if the nut behind the butt did their bit, but obviously had to account a little more for trajectory, but you would be used to that with your experience with other rifles especially the LR - and it wasn't that bad anyhow.

I had better luck at night with the HMR than my mate with his WMR, but reckon that to being the slightly flatter trajectory of the HMR and miss calculation of range when shooting further out.

I used to have an HMR but financial circumstances meant I had to sell it. I have two .22lr and have been thinking about doing a variation and losing my semi auto in favour of wmr.

This is mainly as a result of underdogs many posts regarding the wmr.

I feel I must give it a try

Hi Dekers can I ask what did use as reason for needing both hmr and wmr

Colin

I have both, that's because I needed to shoot fox and my local force wouldn't condition my HMR, so granted me WMR.

I much, much prefer the wmr.

I think I shall vermin down and put a covering letter to say long range corvid , hare, and close range fox in woods and round pheasant pens should do the trick

Colin

This, short(er) range fox in small paddocks for the wmr, .223 for the bigger fields.

Although I'm certain HMR will marmalise a fox, the wmr gives me that bit more confidence.

I have wmr and hmr. I'm parting with the hmr because my wmr loves the 25 and 30 gr hornady and I believe they're just too similar to justify keeping both. Another plus for the wmr is I've never had any duff ammo with it.

Of course it'll free up funds for something else then too......lol

Rich

Said before Colin. I had all sorts for fox and now just have the wmr and lr and am still bowling them over.

Terrain is important! Flat or moorland may alter things a little. Even so my time up Scotland I had foxs plenty close enough for the wmr! But for undulating farmland and wooded lots it is perfect. Good for squirrel and rabbit. Even dispatching of deer!

Said before Colin. I had all sorts for fox and now just have the wmr and lr and am still bowling them over.

Terrain is important! Flat or moorland may alter things a little. Even so my time up Scotland I had foxs plenty close enough for the wmr! But for undulating farmland and wooded lots it is perfect. Good for squirrel and rabbit. Even dispatching of deer!

One of the reason's I was looking at wmr is your recent post's

Colin

I do rate the WMR, even though it may not be fashionable to do so, as I have said many a time, it gives me a feeling of confidence!

:yes::good:

simple

"you want a cheap RF rabbit round that is also capable of taking foxes confidently."

voice your concerns as to the HMR's effectiveness as a fox round and you wanting to be humane

the HMR doesnt fit for the above reason, the .222 is not a viable rabbit round as it is too expensive to run for that purpose alone and too noisy round pens, too powerful for rabbits etc etc)

mention safety and humane killing in all sentences and you will be fine

chuck in dedicated NV for good measure and get two!

always apply for a sound mod slot even if you have one, they can be used for no cost 141 variations at a later date

FWIW I have 3x .22lr (one long/bolt, one short/bolt and one semi), .22WMR, 17HMR, 17M2, 2x .222 (one short single shot, one long/bolt) and an air rifle I am about to put up to FAC levels and add to my certificate to avoid this ******** licensing change next year!!

Edited by Bewsher500

simple

"you want a cheap RF rabbit round that is also capable of taking foxes confidently."

voice your concerns as to the HMR's effectiveness as a fox round and you wanting to be humane

the HMR doesnt fit for the above reason, the .222 is not a viable rabbit round as it is too expensive to run for that purpose alone and too noisy round pens, too powerful for rabbits etc etc)

mention safety and humane killing in all sentences and you will be fine

chuck in dedicated NV for good measure and get two!

always apply for a sound mod slot even if you have one, they can be used for no cost 141 variations at a later date

FWIW I have 3x .22lr (one long/bolt, one short/bolt and one semi), .22WMR, 17HMR, 17M2, 2x .222 (one short single shot, one long/bolt) and an air rifle I am about to put up to FAC levels and add to my certificate to avoid this ******** licensing change next year!!

which change?

I was informed cost in not a consideration but I agree with you 100% safety is a winner :good:

which change?

I was informed cost in not a consideration but I agree with you 100% safety is a winner :good:

No doubt he will respond, but I guess this may have something to do with Air Rifle Licencing in Scotland!

Edited by Dekers