where do they go

dad

our rape was cut wed night my mate went for a look thursday early afternoon phoned me at work said birds coming from all directions about a 1000 feeding over 3 small fields said i wont shoot it i will wait for you friday we arrived 10am and watched for 1 1/2 hours only saw a dozen

then started raining heavy all day went back at 5pm still raining about 150 birds there came back saturday 10.30 watched for an hour just a dozen local birds came back in afternoon 150 again same thing sunday poured with rain again no birds. back to work monday my mate shot 77 said they were every where he got another 50 tuesday typical i had a 3 day pass from the wife too.

Or you could ask...where do they all come from, as many folks only see low numbers leading up to harvest and then a swarm hitting one field.

Last year I saw at least 500 feeding on one rape field after it had been disced, decided to go the next day and never bothered setting up as hardly a bird in sight...and they never did return. Found similar number a couple of days later on another field but they moved on again within a day.

That's part of the beauty of pigeon shooting. Being in the right place at the right time is extremely satisfying. I'm sure I've had many a good day, when if i'd been there a day either side the result would have been nowhere near as good. On the flip side of this, i'm sure I've missed out on good opportunities by being a day late.

It often only takes another field to be cut nearer to the roosting woods or a change in wind direction for birds to end up elsewhere

If that particular field is left undisturbed then even more the chance they will stay there until it is expended.

My observations over harvest or right at the start as it my be has shown me that the birds don't disapear in woods etc they simply thin out into smaller pockets spread across several feeding areas! Smaller groups of 50/100 are easily hidden among standing crops just out of sight..

Also at times, lucky for them they find a feild that's not easy to reccy, this I think creates the biggest illusion of all! Fields that are inbetween feild's so to speak, several fields back from any roads and well out of sight.. I'v found this lots of times and when you do the place is generally blue over, thing is without grabbing the dog and been super inquisitive you just don't see them..

They make there way to these fields from all the other little feeding spots in twos and threes so at times it's not easy to spot. When they disappear round my area I'll see a couple of birds and actually chase them in the motor! I go as far as I can with that then wait for the next 2... So on and so forth! At times you get lucky when close enough if the flock spooks and mills around in the air for a few moments giving away there position before quickly dropping back in, all I can see is there defo there! You just have to put the extra mile in sometimes...

Thankfully I love this part so it's no real chor lol

It often only takes another field to be cut nearer to the roosting woods or a change in wind direction for birds to end up elsewhere

If that particular field is left undisturbed then even more the chance they will stay there until it is expended.

i think you might be right on both counts there was another field cut very close to one of the roost woods on the thursday afternoon but i thought because they had already found ours only 3/4 mile away they would return, as for the wind we went to another farm eventually saturday afternoon about 150 acres of cut rape with loads of birds coming to it and we shot 55 between us couldnt really get in the right places wind n/west went back again sunday wind s/west and raining the birds didnt show. should have set up in the middle been shooting for years never done it ,lack of confidance got any tips.

i think you might be right on both counts there was another field cut very close to one of the roost woods on the thursday afternoon but i thought because they had already found ours only 3/4 mile away they would return, as for the wind we went to another farm eventually saturday afternoon about 150 acres of cut rape with loads of birds coming to it and we shot 55 between us couldnt really get in the right places wind n/west went back again sunday wind s/west and raining the birds didnt show. should have set up in the middle been shooting for years never done it ,lack of confidance got any tips.

Set up any where the bird's are if in the middle try a roll of reed screen round the hide makes it look like a bale. works well light to carry cheap to buy, been yousing mine now for 2 seasons. :good:

That's part of the beauty of pigeon shooting. Being in the right place at the right time is extremely satisfying. I'm sure I've had many a good day, when if i'd been there a day either side the result would have been nowhere near as good. On the flip side of this, i'm sure I've missed out on good opportunities by being a day late.

the number of times that has happened to me....and very recently too..............i never learn.. :hmm:

EDIT..............(and a bloody day too early... :lol: )

EDIT..............aaannd the wrong damn day........ :/

just about sums my life up !!

Edited by ditchman

It is very simple to set up in the middle of a field. Just set your hide up to surround you, and put out your decoys as normal.

Or you could ask...where do they all come from, as many folks only see low numbers leading up to harvest and then a swarm hitting one field.

Last year I saw at least 500 feeding on one rape field after it had been disced, decided to go the next day and never bothered setting up as hardly a bird in sight...and they never did return. Found similar number a couple of days later on another field but they moved on again within a day.

Or you could ask where do all the pigeons shooters come from? Only seen one other all year and now the rape is harvested seen 4 others in 2 days!!

Or you could ask where do all the pigeons shooters come from? Only seen one other all year and now the rape is harvested seen 4 others in 2 days!!

funny you should say that, i have sat on rape all winter for 10 or 15 alone wishing there was others about to keep em on the move then come the bean drilling and rape cutting and you have to go out first light to make sure your not beaten to it

by the way sam thanks for the time spent explaining about posting pictures i think its beyond my skill level only just mastered texting.. stopped in shropshire on way back from n/wales couple years ago to make a cuppa with missus by a part cut rape field with woods every where it looked great pigeon country thiis was early september all our rape was finished 3 weeks before