Cartridges for coming season

figgy

Now the season ain't to far off.

What cartridges have you all chosen for this season. I've still got plenty of Eley Lightening 36g 3's & 1's a few gamebore 42g bb. Need to buy more 32g 4 for ducks over the splashes,looking for recommendations I've used Eley and Gamebore 32g carts so more options welcome.

Any used the Eley Lightnings in 32g 5 shot?

If I get to the CLA there might be some to be had on offer.

Edited by figgy

Off the shelf , you are not going to do any better than the lightnings or mammoths in my opinion.

I have heard mixed reviews on the RC Atomic steel , but have not used it personally .

I will mostly be loading my own including some heavy weight shot for occasional use on geese .

Now the season ain't to far off.

What cartridges have you all chosen for this season. I've still got plenty of Eley Lightening 36g 3's & 1's a few gamebore 42g bb. Need to buy more 32g 4 for ducks over the splashes,looking for recommendations I've used Eley and Gamebore 32g carts so more options welcome.

Any used the Eley Lightnings in 32g 5 shot?

If I get to the CLA there might be some to be had on offer.

No but I have been using the Eley VIP steel 32 gram in 4s and 5s for pigeon and have been quite impressed.

Mammoths and Remmingtons in 3 and 3.5 inch do all I need for geese and duck. I have used the RC Atomic 34 gr and they are good and have the advantage of being OK to use in my 3 inch s\s. I have used the 2 3\4 inch Eley Lightings in 5 shot and they are ok for close stuff , but the Gamebore is cheaper and does the same Job. Tried 3 inch lightings last year in 5 shot and never hit a thing all flight ( fired a dozen shots ) until I switched back to Mammoths and the duck started falling again. I managed to get hold of some 3inch 32 gr Lightnings at the end of last season , but have not tried them yet.

I had some nice kills with RC 3 inch steel , but there are problems ejecting them in my Browning Gold. Keep meaning to ty the new Bismuth loads , but they are just too expensive for me. Heavi shot and Knet Tungsten almost impossable to buy these days and again the cost is to high.

If you are looking for something new I would try the RC Atomic 34 gr and RC 3 inch steel loads.

I really don't rate the lightening steel 36gram 3" thought they were poor........

However game bore 3", rc 23/4", game bore super steel in 3's all work great. The super steel is a very sweet little duck cart......

If these cant get the job done then it's my home loaded steel and powershot 😝

I'm new to the black art of " semi autos" .. but found Gamebore steels to be one of the cleaner cartridges. The mechanism is far cleaner after using Gamebore than Proper cartridges - 20 cartridges and the mechanism was fouled using Proper carts. Bought a slab of eleys, have yet to try. I personally rate eley. Have yet to try the lightenings, will be!

Had a look through what I have and I don't need to buy any this season. Still got 225 lightning 3" number 3s 230 lightning 3" number1s and some Gamebore 3" number 3s a couple of dozen 31/2" 42g BB and sixty or so 2 3/4" mixed lyalvale and gamebore 32g 4s, thought I had used more than I had last season. I should be ok for most of my shooting.

Also a fellow Wildfowler from the same syndicate is homoading some 3" roll turnover goose carts for me, can't wait to try them.

Edited by figgy

I thought about getting some Eley Lightning in 5s for the splashes but I have that many number 3s I might as well use them as you can guarantee that no matter what you load it will be wrong when they flight in. 3" 3shot is a good all rounder for where I shoot.

Can't see past gamebore mammoth. 36g 3's for the ducks and 42g 1's for the geese. Haven't tried the lightening steel but have no reason to try anything else :good:

True, find mammoth a great cartridge, tried the Lightning, good but not something I would give up the mammoth for.

True, find mammoth a great cartridge, tried the Lightning, good but not something I would give up the mammoth for.

Getting them is always my issue. I'd consider going from the 42g 1's to the 36g shell due to cost but hard to change from something that works. I've shot plenty geese with the 36g 3's when I haven't had time to change shell.

I was having a look at some of these bigger loads and a lot of them (EG the Mammoth loads) are plastic wad - Has anyone found that there is a preference that shooters use fibre wad on the grounds you shoot on?

Many clay grounds specify that shooters must use fibre wad and that using plastic will result in membership being revoked (granted the number of shots fired at clay grounds will be much higher so plastic pollution would be more of an issue), but I was wondering if there are similar restrictions on wildfowling grounds?

Personally I prefer fibre wad as I dont like the streaks that plastic wad can leave in the barrel of the gun - Having a look on justcartridges.com and I can see there are some heavier loads (up to 40gr #4) available with wool or fibre wads and in the standard 70mm case.

Does anyone know of 3"/3.5" length cartridges which are also wool or fibre wad? Or is there a reason why these cartridge lengths are generally plastic wad?