cheap trigger pull gauge

Cumbrian

I have just purchased for £6.95 from my local Murco petrol station an AA digital luggage weight gauge. I thought it would serve for trigger pull weights and it does. It seems to be accurate - it gave a plausible reading of 2.25 and 2.23 kgs on my Winchester 5500 - and the strap fits quite neatly round a standard trigger. Probably quite widely available. Certainly much cheaper than a Lyman or whatever. Just in case the information is of use to anyone else.

I have just purchased for £6.95 from my local Murco petrol station an AA digital luggage weight gauge. I thought it would serve for trigger pull weights and it does. It seems to be accurate - it gave a plausible reading of 2.25 and 2.23 kgs on my Winchester 5500 - and the strap fits quite neatly round a standard trigger. Probably quite widely available. Certainly much cheaper than a Lyman or whatever. Just in case the information is of use to anyone else.

That equates to just under 5lb. Have you got any rifles you can try it on?

I've got one somewhere that I bought off Ebay for around £4.50. Never used it though, and I don't know how accurate it is.

I have several rifles and, indeed, two other shotguns, both Browning 325s. I will test the gauge on all of them and report back. The most interesting and difficult test will be on my Anschutz target rifle, which has a really low trigger pull weight, perhaps 50 grams, maybe even less because I can virtually 'think it off' when shooting prone.

Further: sadly I have to report that this gauge is not really suitable for trigger pulls. I have tried it on my other shotguns, where again the results in the 2.2 kgs range seemed superficially plausible, and on my rifles, especially two CZs with set triggers where I could check my results against known weights, where the results came in too low, varying downwards from 50% too low. So the shotgun results will also probably be too low, though not by as much as 50%. I think the trouble is that it needs a stable and fairly heavy weight, as with a suspended suit case, not the increasing weight that comes from pulling on a trigger until it breaks. At least it is easier to use than the bathroom scales for suit cases, so the purchase will not be wasted, especially if you have to fly with Ryanair or similar.